• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I'm completely lost trying to choose.

Leeb

I would really like to get into drifting. I've been thinking about getting the sakura d3 but now there is a d4 out. What upgrades, what motor, pinions, apparently there are cvd's that extend further than others. Searching the forums is a minefield.

I don't want an rtr i'd rather make something that's initially hard to get used to but will last.

Any suggestions would be great, if not i'll go with the d3 as there's plenty of hop ups to go with the differing opinions.

Thanks lads.

Get the d4 rwd, rc mart has a good bundle deal going with a servo, gyro and weights. There are plenty of upgrades for them, coming very soon.

I got warned of rwd as it's too difficult to get to grips with, that advice didn't come from here though.

Well that's the point of the gyro, it's like traction control/esp system.

You would be running more power to the rear anyway with the awd, as you wouldn't wanna run 50/50 as it'll get boring pretty quick. And drifting is moving towards rwd chassis'.

Well that's the point of the gyro, it's like traction control/esp system.

You would be running more power to the rear anyway with the awd, as you wouldn't wanna run 50/50 as it'll get boring pretty quick. And drifting is moving towards rwd chassis'.

I see, thanks for that.

No worries, check out some of the videos on YouTube. There's a few on there now, I'm trying to talk myself out of buying one as I have enough cars at the minute!

The D4 should arrive this in a few days, I couldn't resist.

Hey, I'm looking at the same chassis after I've seen a few recommendations. I'm a newbie to this myself. Would like to get into RWD drift, but read posts advising people to start with AWD with countersteer, rather than going straight into RWD. I understand it will be more difficult to keep the car drifting than AWD, but I want to do it properly. After all AWD drift isn't really a drift :)

I'm in UK so not sure I can order a kit like that (with gyro, etc) over here, but will try,

Can I then pick any body shell and mount in on this chassis? Or is there a specific range of shells I can use?

Now trying to find the rest of the kit that will match this chassis. Any advice on those?

• Radio System (Min. 2ch)
  • ESC
  • Motor
  • Pinion (48p, 22T recommended in manual)
  • Battery (7.2V, this kit will fit both shorty packs and normal size)
  • Charger

Hey, I'm looking at the same chassis after I've seen a few recommendations. I'm a newbie to this myself. Would like to get into RWD drift, but read posts advising people to start with AWD with countersteer, rather than going straight into RWD. I understand it will be more difficult to keep the car drifting than AWD, but I want to do it properly. After all AWD drift isn't really a drift :)

I'm in UK so not sure I can order a kit like that (with gyro, etc) over here, but will try,

Can I then pick any body shell and mount in on this chassis? Or is there a specific range of shells I can use?

Now trying to find the rest of the kit that will match this chassis. Any advice on those?

• Radio System (Min. 2ch)
  • ESC
  • Motor
  • Pinion (48p, 22T recommended in manual)
  • Battery (7.2V, this kit will fit both shorty packs and normal size)
  • Charger

Cars have a wheel base length. its measured from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle.

all bodys have a wheelbase length either 190mm or 200+ mm , depending on your chassis wheelbase 

you will run either the 190mm or the 200+ bodys.

in my twin hammers build thread i a 48dp 22t pinion made by schumacher (sp)

esc's come cheap or expensive, you can pick up a cheap brushless motor and esc for 50 quid these days.

Battery either a NIMH 6 cell 7.2v  or you can fit the newer 2s lipo battery at 7.4v 

charger we all run multichargers, these allow NIMH-NICAD-LEAD ACID-LIPO to be charged so its a charger for nearly all jobs.

what does a rally car do on a hairpin ? e-brake - healtoe the throttle and brake to keep revs built up, then dump the gas in.

the car drifts round the corner ( drift is slide thats it).

what does a drift car do, ebrake to healtoe keep revs built drop gas and drift the corner round exactly the same thing as a rally drift.

but the drift car has superslicks fitted so it lets go more easy. 

your not stuck to just 4x4 using an awd chassis, some chassis the belt drive ones can be adjusted and countersteermodded.

this means swapping out pullys to a different size changing the front output to a lower ratio than the rear (overdriving the rear - under driving the front )

usually found with the term CS1.5 mod (countersteer 1.5 mod)

rwd give the most natural feel, but it aint easy one bit, you will give up and throw the book in.

its the upgrade to a drifter that has countersteered for a good time, has his control of steering and throttle perfect

and now wishes to master a more lifelike feel. thats where you go rwd, and you basicly start all over again from the start

its like learning a new skill form start. 

the sakuras and likes sold now are the product of countersteer modding and drifting from when it all first started ( its when i started to)

they have adjusted ackerman so you have huge wheel throws up front, they usualy have a 1.5 countersteer mod built in. front wheel makes one rotation but the rear makes one and a half

thats where the 1.5 comes from, usually they are belt drive (less harsh on the drivetrain and smooth pickup on power) front mount or mid mount motors.

the aim is to help the driver shift and control the weight shift to an advantage to keep the rear loose and the front hooked in.

A drift chassis is just that, it cannot be used for racing it breaks the rule books, its gonna be useless at bashing

so they are just pure drift cars 

Thanks for that. So would it work if I got say a Tamiya TT-02D chassis to begin with, and get those parts:

Motor: Turnigy XK3650-3050KV Brushless Inrunner (Sensored)

ESC: HobbyKing 60A Sensored/Sensorless (I don't get why it says Sensored and Sensorless at the same time ... means it supports both Motors?) - also does it have lipo-cutoff?

Battery: Turnigy 5000mAh 2s 7.4V

Controller: Absima CR2S

Would I later be able to use these parts (if they survive my first steps) in the Sakura D4 if I decide to upgrade to proper RWD?

The only bit I am worried is the customisation of a 4WD chassis to make it CS1.5, but I can always look up some mod guides.

I'm yet to decide on motor but I keep reading your better off with brushless sensored.

I'm going to go down my local drift track and see what they suggest, that's the only place the car will get run.

I know of a guy who's had nothing but trouble with the d4 awd, to be honest he's the only person I've heard who has the model. His front pulley won't line up whatsoever, and all is out of line and mucking his belt up.

I'd go for the flysky gt3b, they're the same remotes as absima. The particular model I've mentioned is cheaper than the one you've asked about, and also the equivalent next model up from that.

As for hobbyking stuff, I've heard 50/50 so you may want to look into it a bit more. I run an omg setup in my mst ms01d, it's a nice bit of kit. It comes with a program card which allows you to adjust how the motor works/performs. It's more expensive, but you get what you pay for in quality and saleability if you find its not for you.

Thanks for that. So would it work if I got say a Tamiya TT-02D chassis to begin with, and get those parts:

Motor: Turnigy XK3650-3050KV Brushless Inrunner (Sensored)

ESC: HobbyKing 60A Sensored/Sensorless (I don't get why it says Sensored and Sensorless at the same time ... means it supports both Motors?) - also does it have lipo-cutoff?

Battery: Turnigy 5000mAh 2s 7.4V

Controller: Absima CR2S

Would I later be able to use these parts (if they survive my first steps) in the Sakura D4 if I decide to upgrade to proper RWD?

The only bit I am worried is the customisation of a 4WD chassis to make it CS1.5, but I can always look up some mod guides.

I have a tt02d r34 for sale atm. Not got around to posting it up yet. Run for twenty mins and shelfed. Pm me if your interested

If you want to go to RWD then go for it. There's a few guys that started straight out on RWD, it might be harder to learn but it'll be worth it.

MST'S FXX-DS chassis is well worth a look. It comes with a gyro. I'm looking at getting one at the moment.

With MST you have great UK support if anything goes wrong and parts and upgraded parts are easy to get.

The D4 is here and i've started to build it, picked up a speed passion 13.5 and esc today. I wasn't sure what motor to go for so went to place i'll be running it and asked there. It's an rc shop with a nice drift track.

It'll be a steep learning curve no doubt but just endlessly bashing large scales around is getting a little tiresome.

(I don't get why it says Sensored and Sensorless at the same time ... means it supports both Motors?) - also does it have lipo-cutoff?)

Hey welcome bijomaru,

Sensored is the way forward... Thats what you want to use... BUT you need a sensored motor to mate a sensored esc with (sensored esc & motors can & will run in un-sensored mode if sensor cable gets damaged & or disconnected for any reason), The 13.5t racing passions perfect & fitts the deal Leeb has Purchased for his D4...

Sensored has no Cogging in Especially low speed throttling, Not sure if thats the best way to describe it, BUT in drift cars it works out SOOOO much better then running un sensored....

another benefit of running sensored is the amount of timing punch & turbo settings you can play with  on the esc to mate it to the motor perfectly to suit your needs... 

(BUT then again, Some people dont even feel the need for a Brushless setup in Drift cars, Brushed is Perfectly workable As you dont need High speed ever.... )

As for Lipo Cut- off Any decent car esc will have lipo cut off, BUT its an adjustment you have to make, & is not always setup as default... 

*** Make you sure you order the programming card / usb dongle for the Hobbyking Esc or Any esc you intend on going with, Makes like easier, & will save you the shipping costs & headache in souring one after..***

Furthur more any speed passion sensored combo would come with a program card that comes in handy...

As 1st drifter 50:50 awd is already a handfull, until you get the hang of it, and the car properly set up

I'd get a awd 50:50 car with an included cs kit and front oneway and big steering angle. Many chassis are easily converted to rwd (like, take out front belt)