• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi 5ive Brushless conversion help please

Mrfabulous

The 8000mah zippy's look the ticket and don't break the bank.

Any advice on motor mount I realised I didn't actually pay for the RC madness one and it would be good to know what is recommended.

RC monster set up in mine.....simple motor mount, plastic tray and the world's strongest battery straps (I can lift the 5ive up with them)

Tray needs some minor fettling and will fit 8s and the xl2 quite happily. Keep to stock gearing with those electrics.

The Kershaw Designs kit is worth looking at: their CD top plate is nicely made, tho, IMO, better suited to the Alien than the xl2.

If you look in my thread in the SC section of the forum, you'll see the original xl2/rcmonster set up installed....took no time at all to strip the engine etc out and bolt the electrics in :)

Edited by Noj
  • Like 1

Thanks guys Noj you've helped me out across my emaxx and scflux and now the losi, thanks again, RC monster is a bargain compared to the rc madness one another few quid saved :thumbsup:

Welcome.

My only gripe with the RCM battery tray is that the bolt holes lost bite fairly quickly, and, not all were in perfect alignment with the existing chassis holes for mounting - notably the ones requiring the original engine inserts....My gut feeling is they were milled using a different pinion insert to stock.

I drilled through four of the holes in the main tray, opened up the upper holes with a larger bit to a depth of around 4mm (enough to allow an M4 nyloc nut to sit under the rim of the hole) and bolted through. The tray is going nowhere. You 'should' be able to mount the narrower (ESC) end without needing to do this.

Wheels and tyres: something with a little more bite is required for grass. Hostile MXTs are spot on, however when belted, do add a lot of weight.

The tyres Bez originally ran (before splitting one) are much, much lighter so less strain on the electrics overall.

Don't worry about brakes either, the ESC can have them set quite low: when coasting, a quick left/right on the steering will scrub off a lot of speed very quickly ;)

The MCD wheels are decent just don't rag them on tarmac, I murdered one but to be fair i did do a 70-80Mph highside and it went sideways and ripped the side of the tyre walls which in turn spilt the tyre lol 

• Like 1

Thanks guys shopping all done: RC monster conversion kit, 780kv 2028 with XL2, castle BEC PRO, castle twin blower fans, 2 x zippy 4S 8000mah 30C batteries. I also went into RC prawn bought FLM front and rear braces and skid plates. Two things bother me; firstly would it be better lowering 16T to 14T to help start up and reduce strain on esc the other is batteries I usually always go for as high a discharge as possible (70-120) these are 30-40C..... I've ordered it all so let's see...

I'm ok soldering bullets on but I need to make a series connector for the 2 x zippys and this then makes me scared I'll be looking for 5.5mm from the zippys to 8 mm castle..... Anyone know who can make up one? I've tried online but failed

Edited by Mrfabulous

The zippy packs should be OK...we run them in badgers and the 5ive and they survive some serious bashing.

16t also should be fine. Test, take temps, monitor packs and drop/raise if required.

I never experienced any cogging with that set up, pulled away cleanly every time :)

Lipos come with 5mm bullets attached, big enough to take the current.

I use 8mm bullets, because I find it easier to solder in no spark connectors and add bec wires to bigger bullets.

10ohm resistor for the no spark, any wattage will suffice, 4mm bullets are perfect for this.

Don't need one.

Plug pack one neg to pack two pos, then connect the two free ends to the ESC :)

Bullets are simple to solder... Make a small jig from wood, drill a hole for the bullet, heat with a small gas torch, fill with solder, insert tinned wire, job done.

To desolder, simply hold the wire steady (I use helping hands), heat the bullet til it drops off, leaving the wire tinned.

I'll solder for the cost of bullets and postage if needs be :) Doesn't seem right to charge for a moments work ;)

Edited by Noj

Thank you so much I'm going to give it a go again didn't even think of plugging one lead into another durrrrrrrrrr. Lots of stuff to do and I'll keep you posted :-)

Gas torch that's what I've been missing! My irons have not been hot enough.

Edited by Mrfabulous

I have an 80w antex with big chisel tip, that does 8mm bullets OK, but the small gas torch is a breeze ;)

Shout up if you need help, it's what we're here for, Xmas cards from Tug or not ;)

Thanks guys you've bailed me out of emaxx mis adventurers and then 5SC super flux I feel a lot of help on the Losi as time goes by.

The castle set up I've bought has all the connections but I might need to put on 8mm bullets to connect the ESC to the batteries. Christmas card or no card I'll still shout for help :-)

Edited by Mrfabulous

Jealousy is a cruel mistress....plus, until I shuffle off this mortal coil, his chances of having one are virtually nil....even then, he may have to battle a Wookie to get his hands on it ;)

There's plenty out there, I've got a Solderpro, came with a selection of tips inc the blowtorch. Try to get one with both blowtorch and heat gun, the heat gun puts out heat without the flame. Mines equivalent to 70 Watt, you'll want at least the same or higher (you can turn it down if it's too hot, can't turn a weak iron up if it's not hot enough!).