• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Copydex glue for polystyrene RC plane ?

Is copydex glue made by pritt ok for an RC polystyrene plane. Need to glue some small plastic supports on the front to hold the cowel in place ? Any advice.

I know there's a lot in forum about glues but I'm totally glueless lol

Edited by G_O_L_D

Copydex = PVA = not waterproof.

Depending upon how and where you are flying, your plane could get exposed to moisture, which would mean the glue joint failing.

Best glue (if a little messy) for EPO/EPS (as I'm fairly confident that your plane won't actually be Polystyrene), is Gorilla glue - it sticks like the proverbial to a watsit, it is water resistant and although some may prefer to use low heat hot melt glue, I've found that Gorilla glue is the absolute best when joining, repairing or attaching to EPO/EPS

• Like 1

Thanks bunny basher. I've only flown it once. Well when I say flown I mean crash lol. Only superficial light damage to the front only took me an hour or so to fix up.

The hot water trick I've seen online works a treat but this whole glue thing is totally confusing me.

Gorilla glue has been mention loads so looks like that's what I'll have to get.

Round two with flight soon I hope. Still not contact with my local clubs. Even after applying over two weeks ago on their forum ???? so alone it will be ???? again.

Our local B&Q sells Gorilla glue, so easy to get hold of.

For attaching small parts, use sparingly - if joining foam to foam (for those, ahem....little repairs ;), dampen one face before gluing together as the glue needs moisture to react and cure.

A little tip, use sellotape (or similar) to cover glue joint lines - it helps to hold the pieces being glued aligned, and also limits the glue extruding out of the joint when it expands.

Like I said, use sparingly...as it is a pain to get a craft knife and cut back excess glue when it has extruded and cured :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...