• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Heads up....Bargain of the month - a LiPo for your large scale

Bunny_Basher

I did'nt say posted  :harhar:

If you stay on the linked webpage for approx 5mins - eventually a message will pop up saying something like "we notice that you have been looking at this item for a while, we can offer it to you for

indeed it was showing 20 something and when i signed it went down to 17.49 so not sure how the op got them for 15. The pop up thing is rubbish as it's same price as when you have an account.

17.49 is cheaper than killerrc but hobbying is always best value for lipos so not really bargain of the month.

Edited by stretch

No, not a direct replacement.

The original is a 6v 3000mAh NiMH battery, whereas the one I linked is a 2S 4200mAH LiPo, so 7.4v.

It will fit the 5ive battery box (even with the divider retained), being 7.4v it will drive the steering servo harder, so will give you better steering response. Losi say that they won't warrant the standard servos for use with 7.4v, but many people have used a 7.4v LiPo with stock servos with no problem.

Being 4200mAh verses the original 3000mAh, you get a 40% increase in capacity, so the battery should last a quite a few tankfulls.

The LiPo is slightly smaller, so if you are a racer and worried about saving every gram of weight, the LiPo is lighter... so you 'may' be 0.003Mph quicker round the track ;)

Points to consider, you will need a charger that is suitable for LiPo's (the stock wallwart NiMH charger is NOT suitable). The LiPo is designed to deliver much higher current (i.e. for brushless motors) than we will ever use for a receiver battery/powering servos. Accordingly the LiPo leads are 12AWG wire, whereas we realistically only need 20AWG/24AWG. The connector is not compatible as the 5ive needs a JST-SH Servo (Futaba) plug, so you will need to swap the connector and leads. Not a problem for someone adept with a soldering iron.....

....but this single fact does mean that this battery is not a 'direct replacement'...