• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LiPo, the big guide thread *updated March '10* *

Garry

I've charged a bent LiPo in my house before, I've bent a bent LiPo back in shape, and I've charged a 3s pack that was registering 7v. No fires as of yet, and I've not got a LiPosack either. However I wouldn't reccomend doing all of these things :whistling:

is it better for lipos to charge them at lower than 1c? those turnigy 2s hardcase lipos make a very strong case for themselves (if they fit in an e-firestorm) in the low 20s

1C is perfectly safe, no need to charge lower than that. The only advantage of higher charge rates is the time its takes, so stick to 1C and you'll be fine.

From racing in winter with LiPo, one thing I've noticed is that if the ambient temperature is low, then the pack doesn't discharge as quickly as at normal temps. Its like the pack is a bit flat, a bit low voltage. You can still run right to the cutoff, but it just feels lacking in the punch department. Some people say warming the packs will cure that, but I don't reccomend anything that externally alters the battery temperature (warming or cooling).

what if my charger isnt capable of doing 1c? my charge rig.. well i wouldn't want to pull more than about 3.7a from my big 15v psu and no more than 2 from my 12v psu which is like 0.7 and 0.4c respectively

my others were free though, i'm on a really tight budget hence why i'm only buying the £27 accucel 6. I'm not bothered about the time it takes to charge as long as i'm not damaging the battery.. certain lithiums are damaged by a trickle charge.. i've done an extensive google and it seems 0.5c charge rate is ok.. which is good enough for me

w00t w00t it seems that charger will balance (equalize?) nimh cells too. this is very good although it does mean a slight redesign on my homemade packs (to include a balance plug) i like to keep my batteries looked after..

Edited by skree

In that case, then its still fine to charge at a lower rate. 1C is a just the going rate really as it means packs will be done in around an hour. A lower rate will just take longer :lol:.

Balance charge NiMH? The only 2 chargers which could ever do that was the Spintec and a version of the Protrak with certain attachment.

Now then,

Something I need clearing up....

What rate should small Lipos be charged at i.e I'm looking at getting a 1S 3.7v 650mah pack for my Micro crawler, I assume you shouldn't be charging these at 1C?

Does the little losi AA powered charger charge lipos?

Finally I assume 1C packs mean 1 cell so no need for a balance lead?

Thanks

Ash

Edited by Ash1984

bear in mind that LVC only "knows" the voltage of the whole pack, NOT the individual cells.......

So a 2S pack 'could' have cell 1 = 2.90 volts, and cell 2 = 3.15 volts. TOTAL 6.05 volt. Or 3.025 volt / cell.

As this is above 3.0 volts / cell the LVC set to 3.0 would be happy, but the lipo cell at 2.90 volts would not!

so, 3.2 volt / cell is good, 3.4 volts may be better until you have a handle on how unbalanced your cells get during use.

• 2 months later...

bear in mind that LVC only "knows" the voltage of the whole pack, NOT the individual cells.......

So a 2S pack 'could' have cell 1 = 2.90 volts, and cell 2 = 3.15 volts. TOTAL 6.05 volt. Or 3.025 volt / cell.

As this is above 3.0 volts / cell the LVC set to 3.0 would be happy, but the lipo cell at 2.90 volts would not!

so, 3.2 volt / cell is good, 3.4 volts may be better until you have a handle on how unbalanced your cells get during use.

This is a excellent thread. Good advice.

Am I right in thinking that as long as you set the battery capacity and voltage then the charge current doesn't need to me set at the max of the charger.

I would like to charge my 5000mah 11.1v 3s battery at 1C to maximise life. Charging at 4.2 A is ok??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

i am charging my Lipo for the first time, i have an plazma 7.4v 3000mah 20c, hard case, ( i know nothing about these at all, the more i read the more i get confused ),

i have a balance charger and its charging at 3.0a and on 2cl is this correct, ( before it goes bang lol ).