• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is this charger any good?

Veed79

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc6-touch-plus-ac-dc-charger/rc-car-products/389811

Looking for a new charger to replace my core uac, there's nothing wrong with it just wanted something quicker, I mostly use 4s 5000mah lipos roughly how long would the overlander charger take to charge one battery?

Any others that anyone can recommend would be appreciated as well but has to be from modelsport as I have

DO NOT buy this charger!

I have one and it is a total pain,

Every time I try and charge a lipo it comes up with an error,after faffing around for ages I can eventually get it to start charging a battery and then have to go through the same thing with the next battery.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc6-vsp-80watt-7a-output-ac-dc-charger/rc-car-products/379060

I would advise you buy this one instead of that one. I have it and works just fine, I have only heard bad things about the touch screen one.

Although if there is something else that you want to buy from modelsport with your vouchers it might be worth looking at hobbyking for a charger as it will probably only equate to something in the region of

• Like 1

FYI:   

• Select a charger according to its watt rating
  • Then make sure amp rating are sufficent
  • Then check cell count

After you have a short list then ask what is good.

Watts = Volts x Amps.

4s= 16.8

5000mah= 5a

= 84Watts   then add aprox 15-20% for head room

You should really be looking at 100watt charger. for 1c charge rates.

this means just over an hour charge timefrom empty on balance charge.

Or:  you can charge at less then 1c 0 longer charge time.

If you use an 80w with a 1C charge rate your charger will be working it's tits off.

Edited by Deafty
  • Like 1

I've got 2 overlander touch screens and had no issues at all, but hardly use them these days as I bought a quad changer but with power supply comes in at over

Right il steer clear of the touch screen then, and im looking at minimum of 100w, well hopefully if budget allows.

Will I get anything from modelsport up to

Yeah I don't mind a bit of soldering and still got my old Xbox psu somewhere I'm guessing there's vids on you tube showing you what needs to be soldered.

It's pretty simple you cut the bigass plug off the end which powers the xbox. Depending on the power supply model there will be either 6 or 8 wires. 3 yellow 3 black or 4 yellow 4 black. 

Yellow is the +12v rail and the black is GND. There is also a red wire and a blue wire, the red wire is always on which is 5V at 1A and the blue wire is a power sense wire which triggers the PSU to power up. Therefore if you join the red to the blue the power supply light will go green and the PSU starts up just like when you turn the xbox on. You can also put a switch between the red and blue so you can toggle the psu on and off.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-turn-an-X-Box-360-PSU-into-a-12v-lab-PSU/

There appears to be a few instructables too.

The one from the 2005-2006 xbox 360 is the best as it is 203w where as some are as low as 150w

• Like 1

It's pretty simple you cut the bigass plug off the end which powers the xbox. Depending on the power supply model there will be either 6 or 8 wires. 3 yellow 3 black or 4 yellow 4 black.

Yellow is the +12v rail and the black is GND. There is also a red wire and a blue wire, the red wire is always on which is 5V at 1A and the blue wire is a power sense wire which triggers the PSU to power up. Therefore if you join the red to the blue the power supply light will go green and the PSU starts up just like when you turn the xbox on. You can also put a switch between the red and blue so you can toggle the psu on and off.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-turn-an-X-Box-360-PSU-into-a-12v-lab-PSU/

There appears to be a few instructables too.

The one from the 2005-2006 xbox 360 is the best as it is 203w where as some are as low as 150w

Brilliant thanks mate il dig it out and see which one it is.