• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rc helicopter set up help please

Any one in North London that could help set up my helicopter ?

Got the spectrum dx6i rx/tx

Needs setting up if anyone knows how to do it ?

Seen video on YouTube that showed what settings on handset and still nothing as it should as it showed how it should be on the handset settings ??

Many thanks

image.jpg1_zpsded3k2ru.jpg

Edited by Master mind 123

This ebook got me all setup and flying when I had my first heli. Its worth every penny mate.

Edit: forgot link - http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-helicopter-tips.html

Everything is explained and is simple to follow.

As you know these can cause a lot of damage if it hits you or anything else. Bad setup will make flying even harder than it already is.

Is this your first CP heli? Do you have a sim?

Edited by DannyP
  • Like 1

ALL switches ( the rocker ones ) to the off position.

thats the major thing. next is that video i posted link to.

go to that and set your handset like this BUT. 

you MUST have the battery in, and you NEED to remove two motor wires so its disconnected. (two wires like i said, not one but two !!! )

then you follow the video and program the handset with the battery installed and connected. 

you will REMOVE the upper blades from the machine when you do this setup, and any other time you work on your bird.

you will also always unplug two motor wires to disable the birds motor from spooling up accidental. 

Tail wag, this is the gyro overcompensating , the tail waggles from left to right and vice versa 

it can do this very fast so if it wags a tail SHUT DOWN THE THROTTLE  ASAP. and adjust the gyro

this is normaly sitting just behind the main rotor gearing where the tail joins the body. there will be a little pot adjuster you need to turn a small fraction.

3D mode aka stunt mode. 

your normal helicopter works by adjusting the throttle and the blades pitch together.

as the throttle gets higher the blades servos start to adjust the blades to bite the air

more throttle more bite the higher the helicopter goes. when you shut down the throttle the engine shuts down.

in 3d mode the throttle is LOCKED to 100% , the helicopter will sit and spin those blades as fast as it can

this is called spool up. once at max rpm the motor stays at max rpm 24/7.

the throttle stick now does not control the motor/engine it ONLY controls the blades angles positive and negative

when we push the throttle upwards the blades tilt and the helicopter starts to lift ,

If we now drag the throttle close the helicopter blades now force air upwards and pushes the helicopter into the ground

THIS IS WHAT CATCHES NEWBIES OUT , you must use the throttle to make the helicopter thrust upwards or thrust downwards. 

and its what makes helicopters able to hover upside down do loops the loops and other fancy tricks. 

BUT this freedom comes at a cost, you have NO control over the engine speed and one simple mistake and have your helicoper being being smashed into the ground at some very fast speeds.

YOU MUST take care with using 3d mode it is not for the faint hearted and you MUST be able to fly the helicopter under control before you try out stunt mode flight.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Thanks for the info

I did bind it rx/tx with the 3 motor wires out ,

It if my first brushless heli in years thought would have one again but last one was nitro and already set up

When it's powering up it just wants to go left ?

Thinking of re doing the servo arms so everything level , it has a Hobbywing giro , it was on it when I got it , don't have any paper work on it ,

There is so much to the handset different settings and modes etc :)

You really need to go through the whole setup process and get the heli dialed in to your Tx and preference. Swash level throughout the pitch travel, blade pitch setup for each mode etc...

TCB mentioned "stunt mode" I know it as "idle up" He is right in saying that the headspeed will be a constant rpm but it will be to what is set in the Tx. Not just 100% flat. Depending on pinion there will be a optimal throttle % for stable headspeed, ESC and LiPo temps. Also flying style.

From the beginning I flew in idle up +/- 10 degress pitch. Later +/- 12degrees on my Logo and Goblin but was never 100% flat. The Goblin would of been outside the recommended headspeed for the head not to explode.

I just found it easier to control than the headspeed constantly changing with added pitch. You just need to learn to plug in at bottom stick and let the gyro intinalize, flick throttle hold, move to mid stick(0degrees pitch)and then select the idle up mode you want. Flick throttle hold off and allow the heli to spool up to set rpm and take off. In the event of a crash or when you loose control, instead of whacking the stick down you flick throttle hold to kill the motor.

I would happy sit there and set the heli up with you but I am a little to far away so just buy the ebook I linked and you will be setup safely and flying in no time.

If you don't have a flight sim, get one. It will save you