• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How long does it take to run a tank through?

mrsossidge

Hi all. I bought my first Nitro last week. A thunder tiger ts4n scooby.

The instructions tell me to run 5 tanks through it. How long will that take? I'm guessing 20 mins a tank! Am I in the right ball park?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Possibly up to 15-20mins, assuming you're at the start of your break-in process and running through those tanks at idle? Patience is key, don't be tempted to rush the break-in process!

Thanks guys.

Another quick question. Do I have to run them one after the other or can I do it over a few days as time permits?

As time permits.

When I am breaking a motor in, I let the thing cool down a bit between tanks anyway. If the motor is tight...heating it up with a hairdryer or similar heat source is a good idea if the thing is stone cold. Expands the liner and loosens off the motor a touch, reducing stress on the conrod and giving the piston an easier time bedding in.

• Like 1

Thanks nitro.

I've just been reading the breaking in sticky and have seen the hairdryer tip.

I'll stick a tank through it tomorrow I think. I want my lads to have a crack at it as well so I'll do a tank myself so I know what's what and then get them to do a couple of tanks each.

Another thing (do not know if it is in the sticky)...mark the flywheel somewhere when the piston is near BDC, then you have a quick reference mark. Every time you finish a tank turn the flywheel to the mark...oh and better not to run the tank completely dry but stop the engine before.

Best to not leave the piston in the pinch zone ever but quite important when the engine is new...and when the tank runs dry then the engine will be running lean for a short time...again not ideal.

Other than that as the others have said...no rush and use heat....good luck. 

• Like 1

Today I had a go at getting it running. Had charged the glow starter before hand.

Marked BDC on the flywheel.

Few drops of fuel on the air filter.

Primed the engine with the pull start with the throttle.

Switched transmitter on. Switched receiver on.

Plugged on glow charger. Pulled starter about 5 or 6 times and it blooming started.

I was expecting hours of head scratching and scouring the forum for tips.

Couldn't work out how to stop it again so I just pinched the fuel line.

Was going to start running in but the instructions say to run the car up and down in a straight line to full throttle and I haven't got the space at home.

So far all good.

Do the instructions really say to go to full throttle....are you sure that is not in the "how to set the mixture" bit?

Generally most manufacturer run in methods involve low rpm and light load...small throttle openings...gradually increasing with every tank or two of fuel.

Good you got it going...sometimes the picture people paint of nitro is that you need to be a rocket scientist to make them work...just not true....sometimes they can be a pain but there is always a reason.

When stopping the engine I put my finger over the end of the exhaust pipe...I do not pinch the fuel off because it will cause the engine to run lean momentarily.

Hhmm. I'll check the instructions. It's all in the section on breaking in. It might be in two sections then.

Thanks for the tip on the exhaust.

I just took it up to the big car park at the end of the Humber Bridge to do the runin. Seemed to go ok. Got 2 tanks through. Got a good sound and a low enough idle I think.

I didn't have the shell with me because it said about turning the thingy qtr turns until you get a stall. Anyway, on a run I caught a repair in the tarmac with a lip and flipped it. Popped the exhaust off, popped a shock and chipped one of the cooling fins.

I don't think I've ever not manage to break a new RC in the first outing.

Losi Mini 8 - caught a kerb on its first outing. Broke the front suspension arm.

Hpi Firestorm MT and ST crashed into each other within 5 minutes of being run. Both broke front suspension arms.

Hpi mini recon. Broke shock on first outing.

Maverick Ion. Broke suspension tower that holds on the shell - first outing

Not put me off yet though.