• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rover Mini Cooper Replica?

I was wondering if anyone does a Mini body as good quality as the RC4WD Landrover bodies, or is it just the pollycarbonate clear shells availiable?

Id like to do a Mini replica just not sure how much detail and accessories are availiable compared to the Landrovers?

Thanks.

Yeah, the Tamiya Mini body is very very good for a lexan one.  The HPI one is quite crap, but now discontinued, and the Kyosho one had really nice details but looked a bit out of proportion IMO.

There might be large scale classic Mini toys that could be adapted, but given the speed of on-road RCs having a lexan shell makes logistical sense (whereas crawlers don't tend to hit things at speed, lol)

• Like 1

A regular TT01 won't fit, and the M03 is an older chassis now.  I have an M03 and M05, both are very good (compared to the M01) and a lot of fun to drive ;)

So ideally a M05 but a M03 will be fine?

Will either chassis accommodate 190/200mm bodies also?

I was going to purchase the Tamiya mini cooper monte carlo body as it comes with the chrome grill and spots.

58483_zpsjy6qrdqc.jpg

However i wouldnt use the decals to make it look like a rally car as i want it something like this.

tumblr_mu7n2q4jFe1qb815co1_1280_zpspsffv

I would like the side decal with mini cooper as on this one, anyone know best place to get this body?

tamiya-m01-rover-mini-cooper_zpszgn6frwf

• Like 1

I wanted a Monte Carlo kit so I could make a replica of our 1:1 Cooper.  Couldn't find one at the time, so ended up with the Racing Mini kit instead, where the grille is moulded in and there are no bumpers.  Doesn't look right though so I subsequently bought the various trim parts from the Monte Carlo kit and made them fit.  Maybe not good enough for a purist but they'll do for me.  And yes, it still needs painting...

mini5.jpg

charlie.jpg

Yeah, there was a chrome sprue for the bumpers, grille and spotlights, and a white one for the mirrors, numberplates and the internal bumper mounts.  That roof is the reason why the shell's still not been painted, I don't know where to start...

mini.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've grabbed some Tamiya PS blue paints off the net and stuck them onto one sheet to compare

VVDn6tk.jpg

It's tricky to get it bang on matching but I would say PS-4, and sealed with black should be close? It's a shame really the TS51 would of got you a really good match,but sadly not used for lexan!

:good:

The closest colour match to the rover Tahiti blue, would probably be Tamiya metallic blue backed with a dark blue or black. As the rover colour uses a blue base with the metallic peal over the top.

Or depending upon how much use the body shell will see. If you lightly scuff the inside (not the windows obviously) with a kitchen sourer you can then use hycote acrylic colour match sprays. Witch is exactly what I did a number of years ago for my mini25 replica.

6226414771_a691a9e1e7.jpg

6226931328_e9d56bbd3f.jpg

Edited by 84mini25

Can you not get a high quality picture of that roof and glue inside the shell! I have seen it done before and if done right you really cant tell the difference once its all painted. I have heard of this before but have yet to try it. My next shell for the winter mini series I have a plan for so may need to try this method as my painting skills won't be up to what I want!

Edited by andrew.mckenzie.50

Cool build! Always fun to do mini-me of our own cars, I did with my bugeye Impreza WRX too (with Tamiya TB-01 Rally).

Do you have gunmetal mini wheels? They look quite a bit darker than the mini wheels I usually see. Mine are more light silver, and this lighter color might fit your 1:1 better (the wheel at the right obviously):

693E8A3F-37E5-4CA0-B88A-266232F8953B.jpg

Yeah, there was a chrome sprue for the bumpers, grille and spotlights, and a white one for the mirrors, numberplates and the internal bumper mounts.  That roof is the reason why the shell's still not been painted, I don't know where to start...

mini.jpg

2b1c9912469986fdf9bb25677d752176.jpg

Also there are smaller 55mm tires which might match even better your 1:1 car, I am not quite sure, maybe they'll be too small, but it is worth looking!

The 55mm are the ones on the right in the two pics, and the tires like yours (60mm) are the center ones. FYI Tamiya names them 55D or 60D:

Edited to put a better comparison picture:

738E8818-B4EB-4EF6-8459-23E04E01845E.jpg

Edited by Frederik

• 3 months later...

If you can get paint from your local hobby store....do it that way. Aerosol cans count as dangerous goods, so th ecost of posting is higher nowadays. You will end up paying £6 for postage alone. If you are buying a load of stuff at the same time, it's not so bad....but just buying paint on it's own is pricey.

• Like 1