• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Solve this before I got nuts!

andyknight

So I got a team chase cage from freeprawn which came ready assembled.  Before I go any further the cage is fitted at the height I need it to be at to run my 5SC body shell.  Fitting it any lower means that there is a large gap between cage and body which in my view is pointless.  Having said that, this driving me nuts.

I cannot fit this cage at the height which every picture shows it at, i.e the bottom of the cage at the same level as the stone guards.

The front is nearly as low as it can go (no more room on the body mount to go lower) and the rear of the cage is dictated by the rear bumper mounts which are standard size for all Baja 5b's.  Even the 5SC has the same height attachment even if it differs in design with the tail light protectors and mud flaps.

How is this supposed to work?????

I also just checked the SS manual to make sure the stone guard body mounts are in the right places and they are.

Edited by andyknight

It appears that the pipe is fouling the cage from your picture....

Would it make any difference to install the cage first, then fit the pipe afterwards? Wondering if you might have to route the pipe through the cage rear cross members rather than trying to sit the cage atop the pipe?

Better pics from different angles would help.... :)

Edited by Noj

Looks like the cage is being stopped from going lower by something on the car?

I've been all over it and the cage is not touching any part of the car/exhaust etc. with the exception of the rear bumper mounting and front end mounting.

Edited by andyknight

Right,it looks to me like there is something not quite right with the rear mount.

That looks to be what is holding the cage up so high.

It is possible to remove the rear mount part on the car itself and then put the cage on to see if it will sit lower?

At least them you will know if it is that or not but I cant see anything else to be holding it up high if you say nothing else is catching on the cage.

Right,it looks to me like there is something not quite right with the rear mount.

It is possible to remove the rear mount part on the car itself and then put the cage on to see if it will sit lower?

At least them you will know if it is that or not but I cant see anything else to be holding it up high if you say nothing else is catching on the cage.

Looks like the back end of the KM is different to the HPI SC

hpi-baja-5sc-ss-2.jpg

What would be the cage mount on the SC looks to be lower than what yours is.

Edited by smeghead28

My thoughts are similar, the arse of the cage is too high in the air but I've looked at all the HPI bumper brackets in the manuals and compared to the KM versions and they are the same as far as I can tell.  Underneath all that plastic in the pic you posted is the same plastic U shaped hoop that fits over the top hinge pins on one end and has the cage mounting holes in the other.

Edited by andyknight

do me two things 

take the cage OFF. thats whats catching to start with. 

now those two side things on eaitehr side of chassis pan ( metal with holes in and what looks like body posts ?)

remove those body posts, and drop that side rail fully down.  not in the video thats a stock chassis those side rails are low mounted unlike yours.

now reseat the cage and make sure that front nose goes in first make sure its fully pushed down. and pin it with body clips.

now to rear of truck, seat those two rear cage posts into the roll holders on the rear bumper part. drill through them and sink a self

tapping bolt though. now thats secured front and rear. 

Sides, push those body pins through the holes on the side of the cage and secure the rear with a body pin.

now those can be adjusted to suit the width of the shell side fixings. 

SOME shells DO NOT full fit the cage system , ie not all cabs are the same, some low profiled, some hightoppers.

so do not expect bodys to fit perfect to the cage inside they aint meant to, the cage is protection like the one before with the body.

the weakest points on that cage are the side body posts, cheap to break and replace than a whole cage area. and thats why its made like that.

you always bust a shock post or body post more than a full cage.

dont think things clear, triple check all areas, that inclused sides and cases inch the fuel  area the starter area the rear cage overhang etc etc.

there is one part that is not hpi like somehwere and tahts your key. 

plus i thought you had a hpi to, works out its a different model so its that rear mid area,

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

do me two things 

take the cage OFF. thats whats catching to start with. 

now those two side things on eaitehr side of chassis pan ( metal with holes in and what looks like body posts ?)

remove those body posts, and drop that side rail fully down.  not in the video thats a stock chassis those side rails are low mounted unlike yours.

now reseat the cage and make sure that front nose goes in first make sure its fully pushed down. and pin it with body clips.

now to rear of truck, seat those two rear cage posts into the roll holders on the rear bumper part. drill through them and sink a self

tapping bolt though. now thats secured front and rear. 

Sides, push those body pins through the holes on the side of the cage and secure the rear with a body pin.

now those can be adjusted to suit the width of the shell side fixings. 

SOME shells DO NOT full fit the cage system , ie not all cabs are the same, some low profiled, some hightoppers.

so do not expect bodys to fit perfect to the cage inside they aint meant to, the cage is protection like the one before with the body.

the weakest points on that cage are the side body posts, cheap to break and replace than a whole cage area. and thats why its made like that.

you always bust a shock post or body post more than a full cage.

This is the v2 version with metal rear mounting so it needs no drilling.  Only the v1 needed drilling and the rear cage mounts are as low as they can be in the rear bumper mount.

also try removing that rear plastic holder for the rear cage mount. 

i bet that cage slips down then, the hoops the same the high its mounted at differs wildly from the b5 i bet ?

imagine that mount gone and that front and side would drop in lovely leaving the rear floating without fixture.

imagine  that rear body mount holder on upside down and that cage fits like a glove , its easy to see now once you trawled the other possibles.

and thats it the rear mount needs to be mounted upside down so it lowers the rear cage over the tail and not holding it up high like now.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

also try removing that rear plastic holder for the rear cage mount. 

i bet that cage slips down then, the hoops the same the high its mounted at differs wildly from the b5 i bet ?

imagine that mount gone and that front and side would drop in lovely leaving the rear floating without fixture.

imagine  that rear body mount holder on upside down and that cage fits like a glove , its easy to see now once you trawled the other possibles.

and thats it the rear mount needs to be mounted upside down so it lowers the rear cage over the tail and not holding it up high like now.

That is perfectly possible and was my suspicion but the 5b, 5t and 5sc all use the same backend.  The height of the rear bumper bracket that the cage slots into is dictated by the rear bulkheads which are standard parts across the baja range (both KM and HPI).

The only way the rear cage mount gets lowered is if the height of the bulkheads is lower which in turn affects suspension geometry etc as the gap between top and bottom hinge pins would be reduced.

part in red i marked out is your problem.  remove that and the front of cage slips into place fully seated down

sides will then locate at the lowest point. thats how it would fit on a baja b5,

the area i marked its the problem area remove that part the cage fits perfect i bet. 

2acQBTt.jpg

part in red i marked out is your problem.  remove that and the front of cage slips into place fully seated down

sides will then locate at the lowest point. thats how it would fit on a baja b5,

the area i marked its the problem area remove that part the cage fits perfect i bet. 

you can't do that on the baja as that part holds in the hing pins for the upper rear arms.

i wish i could help but i struggling to understand what you want to do.

anyone got a link to the models manual we need cage fitted to.

its backwards to have a cage brace/mount holding the rear pins in place.

mounts have usually been a added on a bumper assembley. 

but neway thats the part thats stopping the front end seating down like in the video.

if you rubb out that part section in red line i drew, that cage would slip down 

the front would then slip down propper, and the side rail would slide down and run the same angle as the

gear covering. 

you can't do that on the baja as that part holds in the hing pins for the upper rear arms.

i wish i could help but i struggling to understand what you want to do.

I just want to know why I can't drop it any lower and how to fix it.  I would like to alternate between full 5SC shell with cage underneath and running with just a panelled cage depending how I feel at the time.  If I run with just the cage I would want to drop it lower.

if you rubb out that part section in red line i drew, that cage would slip down 

the front would then slip down propper, and the side rail would slide down and run the same angle as the

gear covering. 

You are correct it would but by doing that the top hinge pins would be exposed as that hoop of plastic covers the end of them.

every pic I have seen has the cage flush with the stone guards so it would be about an inch.  And that's the reason why something's not right, it cannot be that far out.

well the cage should be hugging down more.

more to the point if the cage is fetted like the baja fully down etc etc as to the video

then you have it fitted correct, if then a body dont fit you adjust the cage up or down to allow it to ?

at the start sounded more like you wanted the cage to seat fully down as should.

and if this is the case is still that part at the rear i mention.

i need you to do some thing for me.

get some more pictures that show the mounting points better, the rear end is mounted in the right place as far as i can see as there isn't much you can do there but i see what you mean about the side mounts.

try to get some light on it as well, it too dark to see clearly.

if its just the rear end you want to lower then i had an idea you can use but it would be fairly flexible if you do it, i'm not sure on the front end as i can't see it.

it may be helpful if someone else has the tc cage fitted to their car to post some pictures of the mounting points as well to help compare the 2 cars