• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rowlly's help/advice thread (maverick scout)

It wants to be approx 5-8mm from the top, or the easy way is to make sure the piston is submerged when the shock shaft is fully compressed.

For fuel tube, the favourite is between 10-15mm too, I found 10mm more favourable on my scout though.....

Thanks for that Gaz I will get it done soon.

I am in a pickle with what do do with my batteries I have read so much info and it all tells me differant things.

Should I be discharging the battery after use or how much do I use until I re charge ?

If so how do I discharge, does my battery charger so this ? This is my charger: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fusion-vector-nx85-delta-peak-ac-dc-charger/rc-car-products/37637

It is a maverick 1800mah Nimh

Edited by Rowlly21

Carefully with the shock caps when re-fitting them.

Only ever tighten by hand and if they won't go end let a little oil out and try again.  I learned this the hard way by pulling the threaded section clean off the shock body when I used a spanner.

Try and keep the threads on the body clear of shock oil.  This lets any air escape while tightening the cap.  If they are oily then it seals.

You''ll have the right amount of oil when the shock just bounces back a touch when compressed without a spring fitted.  If it returns more than 5-6mm it's over filled.  Drove me mad the first few times but easy now,

Lots of good YouTube vids on filling shock oil.

Not sure about the fuel tube mod, I have just done the fronts for now and wasn't that impressed

It has got rid of the torque twist bit it doesn't articulate as much as before as the shocks are to stiff.

Also the clearance isn't as good but I will try it for longer this evening.

Precisely why I'm undecided about it. It lowers the rise height (good) but losses that bit of travel and articulation (not good). Might undo that mod when I get chance. Plus the linkage mods I did lowered it a bit anyway.

Yes great fun tinkering and driving it. How does your servo cope with that amount of weight in you wheels ?

Ever since I have weighted the wheels and remounted my servo it has slowed it down abit :(

If the sub-walking pace maximum speed is an issue you can swap the can out for a lower turn motor.  I've been meaning to buy a HPI Saturn 35T motor but haven't got round to it yet.  It's only a

Sorry neil my post didn't make sense. I meant the speed of my servo not the truck.

Wow that savage XML is huge, don't think I can afford one of them just yet but I am looking at picking up a used buggy at some point.

Which do you use the most ?

Servo speed, I get ya, Never noticed much of a difference with mine, you could get a faster/torquier servo if it's an issue.

The Savage XL is a bit of a whopper :) Needs treating with respect otherwise it will bite. I'd say I play with the Lunchbox and mini savage more just because they need less space, and use a single lipo. The XL uses 2 x 2S or 3S packs, mine are 5000mah so you need to charge those up in advance. The little savage is a riot though, very fast and lairy. The XL needs space to run, as it covers a lot of ground very quickly.

Sound gnarly neil.

This weekend my mate is coming up with his HSP 1/8 th scale crawler to have a bash, doubt my little scout will be able to do the things that that thing does but there's nothing stoping me trying :P

This is his beast :http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/rc-cars/electric-cars/1-8-scale/hsp-1-8-radio-controlled-off-road-rock-crawler-24-ghz.html

When the time comes do you you guys think I would be better off with sedonas over rovers as I use it on roots/soily banks aswell as rocks ?

Edited by Rowlly21

Don't worry too much about your mates crawler, there crap......

Scout is a much better truck.

I personally prefer rovers over sedonas but whichever you go for make sure there in white compound :good:

• Like 1

regarding the fuel tube mod - you can have too much articulation. You'll learn to live with scrapes in crawling so the lower belly isn't so much of an issue either. Be patient with the modifications, you'll soon find their benefits outweigh their downfalls. Have a few packs through the rig then if you really don't like it go back. 

I find having a few testing sections great for assessing any changes, so you know how the rig performed and any changes in its behavior afterwards. But most importantly - have fun! 

Yes, banners i have left them on for now but just cannot get used to them but will keep testing, I have these rocks just 100yards from my house :D

image.jpg1_zpsfvc4xamj.jpg

Auto butcher I am saving for some tyres but as you may be aware I am also looking into a car with some more speed, don't worry I have been having lots of fun with this thing it's addicting :)

• Like 1

Well boys I have officially lost a propshaft :( god know how but the grub screw must have come loose and I cannot find it anywhere.

My buddy came up with his hsp and it was a lot better on soil/grass but I think the scout beats it on rocks, the hsp is to clumsy and big.

So is there upgraded propshaft I can get or will the original be just fine ?

Andrew

The originals seem fine to me, all I've ever managed was to pop the able end off when I drove the wheel into a wedge.

Worth threadlocking those grub screws for what they are.

Edited by Neil Robinson

Unlucky, I had them detach a few times before I threadlocked them, it was just luck that I noticed it had gone all 2wd on me straight away and found the driveshaft!