• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Win 7 not loading - help me

Thunderwolf

so my bro is letting me use his desktop...a desktop that could play some basic games, let me edit videos etc... it stopped working and i got to fix it.

before i turned it off i had installed sony vegas 9 (my video editing software), when it shut down being a new windows install it had the normal updates, it did 160 in one go, i left it to it and went to bed.

when i got up the pc was off like it should be but when i turned it on it seemed to start up ok, it did the normal configuring of windows it always does when it just done updates (this is a 64bit windows 7) so while it did that i went down stairs to get a drink and some food.

but when i came back it has the background you get if you have to enter a password (which i do not have set up) and a mouse in the center of the screen, i can move the mouse around but it won't load any further than this, it also seems to be in a 640 x 420 resolution going by the mouse size.

only way to turn it off is to hold the power button but it won't go any further than that point, sometime it will say the windows failed to load, etc,etc but starting normaly or doing repair has the same result.

using F8 on start up and picking repair, or load in 600x420 res or using last known working config also has same result.

google isn't finding anything that helpful now and i don't want to go to my bro a tell him i broken it already (only had it 3 days)

anyone got anything else i could do?

emm is the copy of sv9 legit ? :D and have you tried booting in safe mode?

yes it is legit actually (if you don't believe me then fair nuff)

safe mode also didn't work.

incase it may well have an effect i've also installed avast anti virus and photoshop cs6 (also legit)

yes it is legit actually (if you don't believe me then fair nuff)

safe mode also didn't work.

incase it may well have an effect i've also installed avast anti virus and photoshop cs6 (also legit)

DL from there own original sites ? and have you tried entering a password?

Edited by Corbs10

DL from there own original sites ? and have you tried entering a password?

SV9 was downloaded direct from the sony website and avast was also direct from their website

PS was installed from a disk.

not sure what you mean by entering a password?

Edited by Thunderwolf

SV9 was downloaded direct from the sony website and avast was also direct from their website

PS was installed from a disk.

not sure what you mean by entering a password?

you tried eg 1234,0000 etc ? if not try loading from a previous version of windows before the update

Edited by Corbs10

you tried eg 1234,0000 etc ? if not try loading from a previous version of windows before the update

i have a background and a mouse, nothing more. no text boxes no error msg...

literaly the only thing i can do when it gets to that point is turn it off or move the mouse in creative patterns.

windows restore etc hasn't worked, thought i had said that on the first post.

i have a background and a mouse, nothing more. no text boxes no error msg...

literaly the only thing i can do when it gets to that point is turn it off or move the mouse in creative patterns.

windows restore etc hasn't worked, thought i had said that on the first post.

looks like windows is corrupt then time for re install sorry to say

When you are at the mouse and background screen have you tried ctrl&alt&del to see if it throws a Task Manager up.

If it does then go to processes and see if explorer.exe has started..

It could also think that you are running an extended screen so is showing you the '2nd' screen and not the primary?!  It's difficult!

Other than that you are looking at going into the BIOS to see if something has changed..

You could do with a recovery disk I think.

Edited by HYPER-BOY

When you are at the mouse and background screen have you tried ctrl&alt&del to see if it throws a Task Manager up.

If it does then go to processes and see if explorer.exe has started..

Other than that you are looking at going into the BIOS to see if something has changed..

You could do with a recovery disk I think.

you cant get task man up in profile start up screen

you cant get task man up in profile start up screen

I know but as there is no password set then it could actually be on the desktop but the services aren't running.  It's all stabbing in the dark without seeing it!

I think re-install might be required.

update.

i have now tried to boot from an install disk.

only had 2 options, repair and install.

repair loads files, black screen then i get the same image with a usable mouse.

install gets to "checking set up" and then stops, i left it half an hour to make sure.

so not only would it seem i can't repair windows, i can't even re-install it either

update.

i have now tried to boot from an install disk.

only had 2 options, repair and install.

repair loads files, black screen then i get the same image with a usable mouse.

install gets to "checking set up" and then stops, i left it half an hour to make sure.

so not only would it seem i can't repair windows, i can't even re-install it either

yes you can you need the windows installer disc and clean install

yes you can you need the windows installer disc and clean install

i'm using an installer disk.

the clean install is done through said disk, which gets stuck at "Checking setup"

i'm using an installer disk.

the clean install is done through said disk, which gets stuck at "Checking setup"

well pick clean install it will wipe you hdd and reinstall windows but all data will be gone

Had a laptop at work do this after WU this week. Ended up just rebuilding (network boot to managed install thing).

Only think you could try is loading the startup repair thing (which is useless as it starts fine!) and after it's checks you get option for command prompt. From there you can run diskpart and nuke the c: and then try your install disk again with a clean install. Obviously you will lose all data at this point....

well pick clean install it will wipe you hdd and reinstall windows but all data will be gone

i know that, its not working!

Had a laptop at work do this after WU this week. Ended up just rebuilding (network boot to managed install thing).

Only think you could try is loading the startup repair thing (which is useless as it starts fine!) and after it's checks you get option for command prompt. From there you can run diskpart and nuke the c: and then try your install disk again with a clean install. Obviously you will lose all data at this point....

tried start up repair, also doesn't work.

i know that, its not working!

tried start up repair, also doesn't work.

Doesn't even let you see the repair options or doesn't repair anything?

from pressing enter on "Repair windows" or what ever it actually says the screen will go black for a short time, i'll then see a grey progress bar at the bottom of the screen with something like " loading files".

the bar will fill then it will drop to a black screen once again, after maybe 5-10 seconds it will come up to the same screen i mentioned in the first post, specificly the one pictured below that i took using my phone.

979C7D3C-B24F-4318-8787-1A5166B5CB97.jpg

if i move the mouse then the pointer moves, just like if windows had loaded correctly.

Ctrl + Alt + Del doesn't do a thing, nor do any other buttons on mouse or keyboard.

if i move the mouse to the edges it acts as though only one screen is attached (which is correct)

if it helps the background picture isn't the one i have set, so it not even loading that.

its really concerning me that i won't be able to fix it, remember this isn't even mine, i do not want to bring it back to my bro and tell him its not working, it worked fine when he said i could borrow it, i would like to be able to give it back the same way when i get my own pc

Edited by Thunderwolf

Just a random one, try windows key + p. That'll at least sort if it thinks there is a second monitor.

Edited by ghazghul

it happen exactly to me too

it wouldnt let me in so i tried restarting, still wont let me in then thought il try safe mode and guess what? that didnt work either so i tried repairing window and that didnt work either but i kept trying and i think on the 5th go it managed to let me.

at first it couldnt find my recovery partition and i thought i was screwed as that means i had to buy windows but like i said, i just kept retarting and going to that windows repair then it worked.