• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Orlandoo 1/35 Trail Truck Build Thread

johninderby

Plastics are pretty good. Not brittle at all so should bend rather than break. Body is a harder plastic and is a nice sharp molding.

Ball links fitted to chassis. No holes drilled for them but faint marks to indicate where to drill. Study the instructions closely to make sure you're drilling in the right place. Gearbox assembled and motor fitted. I didn't get the motor they supply as this type of geared motor is so easy to get hold of here. I have a few different geared motors so there is scope to experiment a bit. The motor intended for the kit has a shortened shaft so you'll have to cut 5mm off the end of the shaft on any motor you buy here. However the geared motor is a perfect fit.

Next job is the shocks.

John

Orlandoo-Build-9_zpsmszdbbsw.jpg

Orlandoo-Build-10_zpszxfplorp.jpg

I'm not familiar with those motors,  have u a link and or specs to what will fit?

Are screw sizes mentioned in manual?  I'm a spares kinda fella :)

oo and a servo linky will help the onslaught of new owners that u  have persuaded ;)

Edited by Deafty

Here's the specs for the motors and the motor size from the Orlandoo manual.
https://www.pololu.com/category/60/micro-metal-gearmotors

Just search "geared micro motor" or eBay on Amazon and you find plenty.

GearedMotorMicro_zpsdctseuhc.jpg
Servo (got mine from eBay) Same as the Orlandoo servo except there's is black.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17540__HK_5320_Ultra_Micro_Digital_Servo_1_7g_0_05sec_0_075kg.html

They don't give screw sizes, just part numbers but I will be trying to sort out the sizes for spares. I have some Losi hex head micro screws that may fit. Will post later on when I know more.

Although this build will be stock gathering ideas for modding my other kit that arrived today intended for a stock looking Landy conversion.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Tiny, tiny friction shocks and fiddly little driveshafts assembled and axles and links fitted to chassis. Starting to look like a proper RC now. :yes:

Hooked up a battery to the motor and while it does run fairly well both axles do vibrate a bit but then that was a full speed. Will have to see what it's like with the wheels on it and an ESC and actually running across the floor. The gearbox isn't noisy at all.

John

Orlandoo-Build-11_zpsyujarawp.jpg

Orlandoo-Build-12_zpsb3bb4hhp.jpg

Orlandoo-Build-13_zpsyzgdkgre.jpg

Orlandoo-Build-14_zpshrwizopf.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Fiddly getting the foams into the tyres as you can't get your fingers inside to seat the foam and need to use something like a small screwdriver to tease them into place. Tyres were easy to put onto the wheels though. I think they'll be OK unglued as I don't fancy the job of gluing them on, could get messy. :shockingscary:

Orlandoo-Build-15_zps7ie2jden.jpg

The bed is permanently fitted onto the chassis with 6 screws and the cab has little tabs that fit into the bed and then a tab on the front that clicks into place so it's quite easy to remove the cab for access.

Orlandoo-Build-16_zpsjbj0kubh.jpg

Orlandoo-Build-17_zps9sxp6nl5.jpg

Opening tailgate (Now just get a 1:32 or so scale motocross bike model :yes: )

Orlandoo-Build-19_zpshw3ob1do.jpg

Will take some proper photos after I've sorted out the electrics.

Orlandoo-Build-18_zpsmd7dppul.jpg

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Hennessey Veloceraptor Yellow!

Wanna see a shot of it on your new stand when it arrives :yes:  

Just checked my paint stock for suitable colours. Have Ford Black Pearl and Vauxhall Smoke Grey and some satin black bumper paint for the bed of the pickup.

Now do I bother with getting some Gunmetal or just go with the smoke grey and black?

John

OrlandooColours_zpsjnargtmy.jpg

The ducky doesn't change though :nono:

Edited by johninderby

its called a hunter so you should mount said duck front end like you would a rollers iconic hood bling.

pearl black  i like 

maybe some tamiya window smoke for the glassed areas :)

tinted would look very sweet in the window glass.

Well I have the second kit that I'm going to be doing the Landy conversion on so I've got the two Orlandoo bodies to play with.Could do one black and see what it looks like and then have the other to try another colour. :yes:

Hunter....hmmmm....could always get a couple of 1/35 scale M16s and put them in the rear window. :tease:

John

188416d1359506852t-dark-knight-build-thr

• Like 1

Ordered the battery and connectors needed for the truck so I can get it running. After careful measurement find a 400mah 2s LiPo will fit perfectly just in front of the bed and clear the motor and gearbox. More capacity than the 260mah the manufacturer suggests and only 8g heavier.

I did hook up a 4AA battery pack directly to the motor to see how fast it would run. The answer ..... not very, even considering the reduced voltage. Fortunately have another motor with more suitable gearing that I'll put in.

Now just to wait for a couple of days for the bits to arrive. :boo:

John
omqqsy1357642621282.jpg

There isn't a battery tray but there is an area just in front of the bed where there are a couple of raised "chassis rail" bits perfect for gluing a small side to side plate on that will hold the battery. There's about a 23mm gap between the gearbox and the bed and the battery is 21mm wide by 40mm long and 16mm high so it will tuck in nicely. :hahadance:

About a 1 mph top speed with the 100:1 motor and 4.8v but I have a 300:1 motor so with a LiPo still won't be fast but should be fast enough.

John

yeah amazon is a bit more expensive lol  

could flip it, go a black outer body then pull that smoke gray into the rear end, like

its a polish plated rear bed ( where they show a pearl mat black bed you flip it to smoke gray and black body, not smoke gray body and black bed)

then where they have the black outer window flashing on the white truck images you could flip that to smoke gray on yours letting the rear flow to the sides to

give the tint windows some added pop

to see it spray some paper sheet, then once dry cut it to lay in the bed base and around the sides. having the color plates lets you see a color differnce

change but without need to paint model itself.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy