• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LiPo position in buggy

evilhomer

I read over on a different forum an old post that mentioned seating LiPo's side ways rather bottom down.  I've got a couple of hard packs and on the other forum it mentioned this makes them less prone to splitting the case in a crash?  I'm not sure of the logic of this to be honest.

Anyway I'm interested in what people do to help protect lipo's while being transported by their RC cars?

So I've heard two things

1. The side ways thing mentioned above

2. Wrapping them with duck tape

Is 2 needed if they are hard packs?

Very interested to see what other people do

Hardcase packs will be fine on their own, softcase packs could be wrapped but with a thin layer of foam around the battery first or some heatshrink. Problem I see with wrapping a pack is that it masks if the pack starts to puff so you cant tell if your lipo is about to go :)

All I have done is lined my battery tray with a thin layer of high density foam....I do sit my softcase packs on the side but that is solely down to the size of them.

I also strap them up as tight as possible so  they do not move (no brainer really but you never know).

In the past I did have a softcase pack split at an end (just the outer plastic part) and I used black nasty to tape the ends up to stop it getting any worse but I too think it is a bad idea to totally tape them as above really - it masks any issues which maybe could of been seen earlier.

Where do you get the foam from?  I was thinking about doing something similar.

My packs fit almost snug but there is a bit of a gap.  They are strapped but they could move very slightly so I thought of adding a little bit of cushion

All I have done is lined my battery tray with a thin layer of high density foam....I do sit my softcase packs on the side but that is solely down to the size of them.

I also strap them up as tight as possible so  they do not move (no brainer really but you never know).

In the past I did have a softcase pack split at an end (just the outer plastic part) and I used black nasty to tape the ends up to stop it getting any worse but I too think it is a bad idea to totally tape them as above really - it masks any issues which maybe could of been seen earlier.

Where do you get the foam from?  I was thinking about doing something similar.

My packs fit almost snug but there is a bit of a gap.  They are strapped but they could move very slightly so I thought of adding a little bit of cushion

I bought mine from Hobbyking - you can get it from all over though and something like this would probably be spot on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-Foam-Sheet-Sponge-Rubber-Adhesive-Backed-Closed-Cell-Charcoal-Grey-Black-/251586162542?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3a93b42f6e

• Like 1

personally I've not had problems with lipos being damaged while in a car, for me it's usually when they are handled (or dropped more to point) or when they are lent to friends lol

strap em down and make sure nothing is too close to moving parts and all will be well unless u chuck ur ride off a great height lol That's all folks

personally I've not had problems with lipos being damaged while in a car, for me it's usually when they are handled (or dropped more to point) or when they are lent to friends lol

strap em down and make sure nothing is too close to moving parts and all will be well unless u chuck ur ride off a great height lol That's all folks

What about us that chuck our cars off great heights?  :whistling:

'Occasionally' after a 'small tumble' we'll find 8000mah of 7s zippy softcases flopping about inside the badgers... An incredibly tough and forgiving pack, the zippy brick...dent 'em, get 'em squishy and they come back for more.

Make a good lickin' lipo too.....that's only for experts tho, so stay safe folk!

• 5 years later...