• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Replacement Servo horn for Maverick Scout

Tomlad

I have gone through 3 of these now whit very little effort. I broke the last 2 in the space of half an hour just messing about in the garden.

5mwq6s.jpg

I was looking at a metal one but was unsure what sort would fit. saw this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25T-M3-Metal-Aluminum-RC-Servo-Arm-Horn-Futaba-Savox-Xcore-HL-HSP-HD-Power-UK/261809242478

Would one of these do?

It just rolled over? trying to climb over something a little high it rolled backwards and i just heard a crack. The second again just going over a few bricks I think, didn't notice exactly when it happened until I tried to steer. Maybe I was unlucky that day but good point about internal gears shredding.

I have put a fair bit of lead in the wheels maybe too much?

If its breaking when theres an impact it sounds like there could be a stress point some where. Over tightened screws/ball joints so that there isnt any slack when it jolts?

Or its being pulled at an akward angle etc...

Maybe concider a propper servo saver. It should slip when impacted but be rigid enough when crawling.

Edited by b3nchy

Crawlers are hard on their steering, decent quality clamping metal horn and a good strong servo are good places to spend money on a crawler. On the upside, the brushed combos mean the rest of the electrics are cheap, sort of the reverse of a 1/8 buggy :)

I've never run a saver on any of my slow stuff and wouldn't really want to, accurate steering is vital for keeping your line

Yep, as above, spend the most you can afford on a decent servo and alloy horn, not sure what spline is on the maverick servo but it will be 23/24/25t spline.

Out of interest, how much do your complete front wheels weigh?

Are your endpoints adjusted so the servo isn't working against steering after it hits full lock? The scout has poor lock which makes matters worse. You can cut a bit off the inside of the hubs to gain a tad more steering throw.

I might as well keep this servo until it breaks but think I will get an alloy horn (I agree with anything anyone says :sweatdrop: ). The servo is  25 spline it actually says MS-25 on the servo. That and i counted them.

The wheels have 400g in each front. Not sure it this was too much for the little plastic horn and probably my servo but its in now and I cant really be bothered to take it back out. I wrapped each wheel in strips of lead cut from a pitched roof flashing for a flue.

When i put the horn on i turned the scout on and set the trim to central so it should have been central for the horn.

Yeah I still need to cut those lugs off as well as the other lugs from the old bumper.

Those wheels are mega heavy and easily the cause of your broken horns, replace with a look one and be prepared to buy a new servo soon too, also might be worth considering a external bec too so it enables the servo to get a full 6v of power....

• 9 months later...

Hi guys. This is an intresting thread. I have a maverick scout. I keep breaking servo horns. I can clearly see a ripple in the moulded plastic ones  (straight from the shop prior to fitting) which eventually leads to snapping. usually when you been driving it for a while, (stress probably weakens this point) and then smack into an object straight on  (on a cold winters day lol) and hit the servo horn. My scout is standard no up grades nothing.... all ive done is regularly replace the servo horn. Ive literally just broke one this minute again! Thought id have a look on here to find out if its a common problem. So on monday im gonna sorce a new one in aluminium. I doubt an aluminum one will be much heavier that the plastic ones as they are pretty large thick dense plastic. Servos will burn out on rock crawlers over time due to the nature of work they have to undertake. And they arnt exactly expensive at 12 quid to replace. So im not really worried about that. The servo that comes on the maverick looks pretty heavy duty to me. I suspect summit else will break way before i burn out the steering servo. Im suprised people are suprised they break...after all they are plastic and the steering links are metal. The horn or the knuckles are gonna break first before aluminium links. Is there a link anyone can put up directing to a decent alluminium horn that will fit? Crawlers are money pits ha ha but i love em!!!!! 

In comparison to an scx10 the maverick scout takes way more abuse, i might add....apart from the servo horn issue i keep getting....i havnt had a difflocker issue or anything and even my 7 year old son drives my maverick....my deadbolt broke before i even drove it. I way prefure my scout. Its not fast but its cheap n it works. Im yet to see what my scx10 can do. Seems like im gonna have to wait til next christmas, when ive up-graded every part to metal before i can even begin to do anything with it. Bu then i coulda brought ten scouts lol. Big up the Maverick Scout does the job!!!! I think i will sell my scx10. Its really hard to get parts for and its a bleddy fairy. I guess its quick. Dunno never been able to find out. But quick aint everything when your rock crawling.