• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi 5ive keeps putting loads of power through one wheel

bunnie

hi all, my losi 5ive keep putting more power out of the front right wheel compared to the left which is causing it to balloon like crazy.

any ideas what could be causing this?

also what would be a good diff set oil up for me? im no racer strictly bashing  with a bit of on and off rd play

any info much appreciated

cheers

hi all, my losi 5ive keep putting more power out of the front right wheel compared to the left which is causing it to balloon like crazy.

also what would be a good diff set oil up for me? im no racer strictly bashing  with a bit of on and off rd play

cheers

diff oil

cheers

hang tight kidda the guys that no just about everything about the losi 5ive are probably in bed, wait till the morning im sure they'll have it

Sorted by dinner time for you lol! There good guys on here and usully get most things sorted if not all of um ;)

check the shocks, for tyre growth?

no check the shocks as if you have a weak spring or oil loss it will add to torque twist.   if that is happening in this case.

I think it's tyre growth at one corner,

check the inners that one tyre inner could be wet through resulting in it growing more that the others? Or that one tyre being different? But your right it could have somthing to do with power delivery around the 4 wheels, the losi guys will tell you in the morning matey,

off to bed kidda, you'll get it sorted im sure :)

Think i'm right in thinking if OP has a duff shock that corner (bent shaft maybe slowing travel?), poss causing that wheel to spend more time not in contact with the ground, then the diff will stick more power to it, thus causing the balloon.  Hence the reason offroaders have locking diff's - no good having the wheel that's floating in mid air on an uneven obstacle getting all the power.

I see it with my ST, if when on extremely uneven ground it bounces one front corner up that tyre then starts to balloon - purely the Truggy wheels that make it so easy to see but I'm sure the effect would be the same on a buggy etc etc.

Strip the diffs and replace all the bearings and diff seals (especially the orange o rings) and while your at it you could try using thicker diff oil. I'm currently trying 30,000 in the front, 60,000 in the center and 10,000 in the rear.

When driving does this happen or when benched up. 

if your benched up and finding one wheel rotation quicker than others ( they should all roughly rotate at same speed )

theres a good chance something is not very tight up in the diff itself, be it either a lack of oil, or possible wear on a spline.

when a spline is shot out say a left spline, the right wheel spline will start to rotate faster. its leaching the power becasue of the slipping of the spline teeth.

Under power and when turning, the front speeds up ?

this could be the diff again but more so on the oil level and its setting , or it will shift to shocks

and the oil weights and springs. tends to be both and a small dab of the drivers agressiveness in driving.

a sign of over rotation is ballooning and this is due to weight shift issues and setup, or just blatent to much power ( in your case thats outta the window)

first way to the cure is to, drive and learn how to replicate the error 100% all the time.

ie it could be your agressiveness into a corner that is causing the front ballooning.

first place is driving style, second is diff extraction and build , third is setup balance

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

I had this problem with mine...

it was the centre diff had no oil in it and as sending to much power to the front and the front diff had little or know oil and one of bevel gear had seen better days which meant most all the power was going to the front right every time I revved it up to move forward it would pull to left and if I was on a run and gave it some the front right would balloon.

hope this help Kieran

• Like 1

I had this problem with mine...

it was the centre diff had no oil in it and as sending to much power to the front and the front diff had little or know oil and one of bevel gear had seen better days which meant most all the power was going to the front right every time I revved it up to move forward it would pull to left and if I was on a run and gave it some the front right would balloon.

hope this help Kieran

what oil did you use? And did it solve your problem altogether?

Sorry about late reply and i rebuilt the diffs with losi 5 diff rebuild kits with new seals rubbers o rings etc... and a new bevel gear clean them all up then i built back up with diff oils to suit me. and yeh it fixed it for me.

and about diff oils??? erm  depends on what 

you are useing your car for and what u want out off it handling wise etc.. and also what hp you are running.