• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charging when out bashing

theres two ways both use a 12v car/lesuire battery. 

one is a direct 12v source. most chargers will take an 12v dc input , so we can use a cigar adaptor

with a barrel connector and plug direct to the battery. 

the second medthod is the same but we convert the 12v power to 240v.

using a power converter we can feed in 12 volts from the battery, use some boost curcuits

and convert the dc into a 240AC feed. these converters tend to have the standard 3 pin plug socket

so you can plug in and use 240v appliances. 

Charging lead acid, is a timely affair, its best done over time so the battery gets the most from the charge current.

we tend to charge these like we would a car battery, overnight in a vented area and checked often.

the good thing is these batterys are not quick drain like a lipo, they like to give slow and over time.

the first method is the most effiecent as your using a 12v direct source straight to your charge curcuit.

the second method is less effecient and wastes some juice stepping up the voltage, but it opens you up to more uses per-say

I myself run a very cheap car jumpstarter, i disconencted the battery and removed the heavy jumper wires.

i run a direct 12v to charger cigar adaptor lead and its powers my imax b6 charger.

but your going to want a better battery than whats installed, something like a yusa sealed lead acid battery and atleast 12ah or more.

in the late 80's we used to use car batterys and threw them onto/into old peoples shopping trolley carts so they could be dragged into the field.

One of these.

2A143E5C-A5D1-4F7E-B69D-6041030D140C_zps

How many charges do you get from that and is the operating switch/button the latching type (ie you don't have to hold it down until charge is complete)?

Edited by Stilli

No need to hold the button, it stays on until you switch it off. Not sure on the amount of charges yet, but it will start a 4L Jeep with a dead battery down as far as 20% charge, that's @ 200A con, and a 3 sec peak @ 400A

Rated at 11100mAh there's a load on eBay, but you do need to get the ones with a 12v out ciggy lighter socket. (10A) Unfortunatly, they are the more expensive ones. I was very lucky to get the last one of that make befire they restocked, and upped the price by

• Like 1