• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Quad/ drone for

big turbo

I think it refers to diagonal dimensions motor to motor

(I could be wrong though)

A world away from the Syma X5c though, power weight speed and performance wise

I think its going to come down to experience and where you will be playing

A 250 will make a right mess of walls/furniture/limbs upon contact

They are a lot less robust  - due to weight and power and are capable of going quite fast

The syma will happily plummet from a long way or from full power impacts and not do lasting damage and will 99% of the time completely survive

The syma takes a tiddly little 1s cell driving wee little brushed geared motors attached to little floppy plastic props

most 250's I have seen seem to be using serious cells with full on brushless motors with stiff nylon or carbon blades

Mate managed to take a chunk of enamel off the washing machine it "clipped" when he was playing indoors

maybe getting an indoor toy grade AND a 250 frame to build up with choice parts is the answer :D

I have been playing with Phoenix simulator since getting the Syma...and I seem to have caught a nasty Heli bug

(V911 and just won a Blade mCP X on eBay...I was only looking...Mrs will kill me)

At first I thought the Syma was fast and quite twitchy/responsive...I now understand its boringly slow and unbelievably stable...its all about perspective

Regards

Rob

Edited by robocog

The 3 numbers do relate to size across motor to motor, a 250 is 250mm from motor to motor, a 330 is 330mm and so on, if you are after a try before you spend out good money they syma is ok but the jjrc h8c is very good, I got one for Christmas and it's awesome for the money and has built in camera for video or stills, probably get about 15 mins flight out of a battery as well which isn't bad. It performs flips and rolls really easy too, think these are

I was also looking at one of these as my hubsan has just died after a year and a half of solid flight and thinking should I get one of these as an introduction into fpv to see if I get along with it.

But also looking into building a 250 fpv right but that's gonna cost me around double of th is

Edited by Juggernaut jims

Thanks for all the input on this wasn't to sure about building up my own to be honest. so went for the wltoys fpv one in the end got one for

the day you lost the machine was the day it showed you its underpowered for its enviroment its placed into. 

it happens to us all. 

there ARE flying methods that will allow some headway, the kanga is one.

you will hop into air at same time instigating forwards flight, right stick up, left stick up.

at the point craft is starting to push back, you kill throttle to half BUT keep the PITCH stick forwards.

the craft look a bit like a bb pellet trajectory arc. but its more a cliff look graph.

PROPS: 

Slowfly props are flat and broad paddle shape. they are made to turn slow but use torque to produce the lift.

when overloaded they bend in fly and give that floaty bobbing sensation.

electrafly aka E-props , these are a sport prop when you look at them they look like a scyth /knife shape.

these props are designed to turn at very high speed, they sound like angry wasps , they are very solid

and use speed to produce lift, these types of props are fitted to racing quads and likes or acro quads.

these props also cost money and are not cheap. 

from the above props, i fitted to my wltoys 949 mini quad a set of GWS 5445 , the stock factor props were a slow fly type

model, where as the upgrade GWS5445 props are a E-prop like model. just the swap of props changed how the quad behaved.

i had more punch out ( full throttle climb ) and lower hover point at 45% throttle. in the end after weight loss, my quad would hover at 39% throttle .

But it became angry like a wasp, very nimble and responsive on commands. ( in fact i loved it a lot, it locked in the feeling more for me as a uber pro newbie flyer)

so Before you UPGRADE to a bigger machine, maybe look at possible UPGRADES to what your running now. 

google terms like syma x5 prop mod / upgrade etc etc

• 4 months later...