• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HoBao 1/8 Hyper MTe Sport

mydoddy69

6 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Do you still have the shaft from the slipper conversion to fall back on?

Yeah. I'm sure there was the old shaft in the box of bits. I'll have to take a look at the weeked. Or failing that, I'll see if I can get it straight again.

2 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Glad I I bought the 2 speed nitro box off ebay when they were £20.

I'll just swap the gears out when/if I need to use it.

Can't believe the lack of spares on bay for these.

Everyone who wants a 1/8th basher should have one of these and be done with it.

Guess not that many people have them or they don't break often enough for the spares demand :( 

I've got 10 more 3s to change to XT90's for this now, oh joy. I only have 6 that I can use atm :lol:

Get great run time with 6s and the 1550kv.

When I first got mine I bought a chassis on the bay for 12 quid delivered, there is now one on there for 60 quid. Never needed it though. After smashing the snot out of mine, only the front and rear had bent up slightly, comparing it to the new one.

I break the same parts... Arms, diffs and diff housing, less the housing now I've got the brace in.

On 4/5/2018 at 17:23, Vr5fx said:

Yeah. I'm sure there was the old shaft in the box of bits. I'll have to take a look at the weeked. Or failing that, I'll see if I can get it straight again.

When I first got mine I bought a chassis on the bay for 12 quid delivered, there is now one on there for 60 quid. Never needed it though. After smashing the snot out of mine, only the front and rear had bent up slightly, comparing it to the new one.

I break the same parts... Arms, diffs and diff housing, less the housing now I've got the brace in.

Check the spur shaft e clip hasn't come loose - allows the front bearing (front as in nearest spur) to move, play in shaft then eaten pinion.  Just found that on my no2 rig that had same issue - pinion was wearing - wondered why - now know.

Fwiw the gearbox bearings are 6x13x5.

You don't have a spare diff case in your parts do you?  Both output bearings are welded on, was easy to get one off the crown gear side but concious of damaging the plastic half.  Part no is 87004 (same as H7). 

ta

2 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Check the spur shaft e clip hasn't come loose - allows the front bearing (front as in nearest spur) to move, play in shaft then eaten pinion.  Just found that on my no2 rig that had same issue - pinion was wearing - wondered why - now know.

Fwiw the gearbox bearings are 6x13x5.

You don't have a spare diff case in your parts do you?  Both output bearings are welded on, was easy to get one off the crown gear side but concious of damaging the plastic half.  Part no is 87004 (same as H7). 

ta

I'll give that a look when I get it stripped down. I've really been putting it off since I've been playing with the Bajas

I haven't got a spare MT diff case, I used all the ones up that Rich sent over with the spares. I have got one from something though... No idea what it is from... Callipers say 30.90mm across, 19.98mm deep (just the plastic case) I'll get a pic up shortly.

Just now, Vr5fx said:

I'll give that a look when I get it stripped down. I've really been putting it off since I've been playing with the Bajas

I haven't got a spare MT diff case, I used all the ones up that Rich sent over with the spares. I have got one from something though... No idea what it is from... Callipers say 30.90mm across, 19.98mm deep (just the plastic case) I'll get a pic up shortly.

Thanks for looking - a mate is going to strip one of his 7 new spare diffs down for me.  I'm picky and dont want to use used or reuse this one now the bearings are off.  I've got 3 or 4 spare used ones myself  - I was only half surprised when I realised Hobao had reused the 7 diff parts, again!

36 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Thanks for looking - a mate is going to strip one of his 7 new spare diffs down for me.  I'm picky and dont want to use used or reuse this one now the bearings are off.  I've got 3 or 4 spare used ones myself  - I was only half surprised when I realised Hobao had reused the 7 diff parts, again!

No worries bud... I had no idea that the MT and 7 cases were the same.... Good to know for the future

Picked up a summit shell last year some time, I'm sure I bought it off Rich after I bought the MT.

Safe to say... It's going on the MT. Figuring out a way to extend the rear mounts.... but other than that... It should fit. :D

Doing some small repairs, the rear upright looks like a banana, the mounts are pointing forward.

3 hours ago, Vr5fx said:

Picked up a summit shell last year some time, I'm sure I bought it off Rich after I bought the MT.

Safe to say... It's going on the MT. Figuring out a way to extend the rear mounts.... but other than that... It should fit. :D

Doing some small repairs, the rear upright looks like a banana, the mounts are pointing forward.

Looking forward to seeing it.  I'm no traxxas fan but they pay real attention to aesthetics and produce some lovely shells - the Summit being one.

6 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Looking forward to seeing it.  I'm no traxxas fan but they pay real attention to aesthetics and produce some lovely shells - the Summit being one.

It looks very tasty, but paper thin. I've ordered some more shoe goo, so it'll get a treatment with plaster tape before anything.

I'm hoping if I lower the center body/roll cage handle thingy slightly, I can raise the rear body posts using Baja body mounts and some epoxy. Drill some new holes in the shell and move the shells cage slightly. Best idea so far anyway. 

Stripped the gearbox down, had some slight play in the front bearing, swapped it for the back one and the wobble has mostly gone, so new bearings are needed.

This is the pinion.. It's only seen 2 outings.

IMG_20180414_194256

And worst of all... the pinion was playing hard to get, so I gave it a yank with some pliers and this happened. Shaft pulled out.... YAY

Should of used the pinion puller.... :deadtongue:

IMG_20180414_193432

So now I have the hump and put it all away for another day.

So, turns out that the shaft on the motor is bent, and quite possibly not the shaft in the MT.

On top of the shaft pulling out, it's got a bend that I doubt I can correct. So I'm in need of a new motor... I'm in 2 minds weather or not to get the same motor again, or try for something else, like a Leopard. 

Any thoughts? What do you guys run?

Ouch.  My Mte has pained me again too this weekend.

Never seen a bent rotor - def not the bearings?  One of mine has the stock 2000kv and the other a leopard 1600kv 4082.  Tbh the leopard is too slow stock gearing on 6s and i've never got round to pushing the gearing to it's sweet spot - I suspect i'll run out of adjustment first.  I may opt for the 42mm motor ring and stick the castle 2200kv in I have spare.  If buying new I think i'd opt for a longer can 2000kv motor.

7 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Ouch.  My Mte has pained me again too this weekend.

Never seen a bent rotor - def not the bearings?  One of mine has the stock 2000kv and the other a leopard 1600kv 4082.  Tbh the leopard is too slow stock gearing on 6s and i've never got round to pushing the gearing to it's sweet spot - I suspect i'll run out of adjustment first.  I may opt for the 42mm motor ring and stick the castle 2200kv in I have spare.  If buying new I think i'd opt for a longer can 2000kv motor.

Yeah, deffo. The shaft has pulled out the rotor completely. Rolling it on a flat surface shows it is uneven, popped it in my drill aswell, got a nice wobble to it.

When I had the 1717 in mine, 25t was too small, but couldn't go any bigger :huh:

6 minutes ago, Guns said:

Is that a genuine Castle or a knock off?

Knock off, but the way I treat my MT, I'm not suprised it's knackered.

Ideally I'd like one the same size, so less faffing with the motor ring/brace... Time to have a mooch around I think

25 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

Yeah, deffo. The shaft has pulled out the rotor completely. Rolling it on a flat surface shows it is uneven, popped it in my drill aswell, got a nice wobble to it.

When I had the 1717 in mine, 25t was too small, but couldn't go any bigger :huh:

Ideally I'd like one the same size, so less faffing with the motor ring/brace... Time to have a mooch around I think

To be fair I'm prob going to make new mount for mine.

I think it's too far back. Hate the way the pinny is pretty much on the end of the shaft which don't help.

Can't use a couple of my skyrc motors as they only have a 15mm long shaft. It's my only gripe with it but it's pants.

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Is that a genuine Castle or a knock off?

Mine?  Genuine one, bought way back as part of a combo deal with a castle esc. 

42 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

I've a 25t on route as guessed that might be near the limit.  Expect it still to be undergeared, hence the castle / tork standing by.

Has anyone got a printed manual by the way?  Mine's from the original V1 - ie no cvd's in the front (though rig came with them) - rear turnbuckles, the thinner m4 ones, are in the manual as 40mm, which is plainly wrong - have some vague mem of this issue when setting up the first one (rig being rebuilt is no3, though no1 or 2, I forget, went to a new home long ago). Checked the plus manual online, it uses the thicker M5 turnbuckles stock in the rear but still quotes 40mm spacing.

• 4 months later...

Well its been a while and this thread is looking dry, whats everyone doing with their MTE's  selling keeping? 

1 hour ago, Devin said:

Well its been a while and this thread is looking dry, whats everyone doing with their MTE's  selling keeping? 

Keeping one, selling the other. MT is always a limited trick pony for me, but I wouldn't be without one for those moments of wallet busting madness. You?

Welcome back Devin.

• Like 1

Good to hear and still got mine and still use hasn't missed a beat needs a new shell though the desert maltia is looking rather tired [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Took mine out for the first time last week since putting the new motor in it.

Forgot how much it liked to wheelie, took a tumble and broke a diff cup. Made me think if it's worth modding to put a center diff in, calm the nose down a bit

Then again, not used it for 6 months.?

On 01/09/2017 at 07:24, Vladocbr said:

Hi.

I'm still not purchase the CVD,s but found another solution. The centre driveshaft on HPI Trophy truggy is same size as the MT rear dogbones. They are little thick 4.2mm (hobao 4.0) and really stronger. After few runs they look great. Here in Bulgaria they cost only 11£.:D

Hi,

please can can you confirm which centre driveshaft?

Pics would also be great.

thx

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Nickarla said:

Out of interest how would people rate reliability, crash/bashability and parts support of this compared to a ST pro? Is durability comparable?

Parts availability is as good as the ST's - ie usually fine but with odd periods lately where lots of things are OOS (Hobao are trying to crack the states, which I think is the prob).  Bashability?  It's takes a beating - but being an MT it's a limited trick pony - an ST will outdrive it any day of the week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capri-boy said:

Parts availability is as good as the ST's - ie usually fine but with odd periods lately where lots of things are OOS (Hobao are trying to crack the states, which I think is the prob).

Isnt that a death wish? Crack the states and go bankrupt when Traxxas sue you for using plastic.