• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fornowagain's Savage Flux XL

fornowagain

A few teething issues, its faster backwards than forwards. In fact it's mental, first time I gassed it in reverse it backflip on the spot and christened the shell. Hint, shake downs and first runs best done on grass, tarmac not so much. Anyway I had done all the usual, set the speeds 100% for both directions, calibrated the throttle range etc.  Sod it, swapped the motor wires and reversing the tx fixed it. Noticed the gigante xl shell flexing inwards on a flip. The ESC is going to get bashed at some point so added a mini roll cage. Also swapped out the pivot bar on the rear deletes for some bolts. 

Quick release mount and some tie rods.

2015-02-27%2017.30.02%20Medium_zps0osoxw

2015-02-27%2017.29.44%20Medium_zpsfwv2ow

2015-02-27%2017.29.35%20Medium_zps7ebe2v

M4 x 75 cut down to 60mm gives all solid diameter and no threads on the bushes/arms.

2015-02-27%2018.02.40%20Medium_zpsrjcmvx

2015-02-27%2018.18.36%20Medium_zps0ufixm

2015-02-27%2018.26.26%20Medium_zpsgsg2qj

2015-02-27%2017.56.51%20Medium_zpsjzwifx

f0db6c4c-77b5-4d17-a003-90134a4046d4_zps

Edited by fornowagain
  • Like 1

what did you use to stick the esc down mate? 3m tape?

The ESC comes with M3 tapped threads in the bottom. I machined holes in two cross members and bolted it down with some rubber washers inbetween.

Nice rig fornowagain, I've got 2 big bore shocks on each corner on my savage with big joe's. Have you tried your ESC on 6s yet?

6s from the start. Thought about dual shocks, also irc etc. It all adds weight, the stock big bore are actually pretty good, just need stronger (hellfire) springs and thicker shafts. It's now on red springs 196GF/mm, stock are pink 134GF/mm. 

Edited by fornowagain

Just a quick report back, first full pack(s) through it on a local playing field with a jump or two. Behaves brilliantly, nothing broke or fell off, kinda pleased with that. Got around 30mins, quite a bit on full throttle. Wheelies on command even at speed, quick pulse and up it goes. Have to build up speed slowly, if you gun it, it just flips over backwards. Braking is way too powerful, flips forward over itself half a dozen times.

On the ESC, lvc is set to 3.2v, cell voltages all at or slightly below 3.2v once it cut in. It only did that once, a reset turn on/off got a couple of seconds then lvc cut in again. So working as it should.

Oh, and the ESC, motor are barely warm to the touch as you'd expect really with the gearing. I don't think I'll be gearing it any higher. It's plenty fast enough if overpowered. Its fun that way and more a matter of throttle control than actually having too much power. Overall it's a lot of fun and the center diff does help lay the power down nicely. The shell is already cracked in three places, won't last more than a few sessions, so looking at fitting a Summit shell with exo-cage.

Edited by fornowagain

Yeah as do I, its just that I'm used to HW ESC's needing lower settings than the actual. I'd normally aim for 3.4v, makes little difference to the run time from 3.2v, once the voltage starts to drop off. So no point going lower. Have to say I was surprised the lvc was spot on.

Edited by fornowagain

• 2 weeks later...

nice!!my summit shell on my mt4g3 has taken a hell of a beating and is still holding up...the fr holes have started to tear a bit but the exo cage helps loads...I gota brand new spare aswell.....how did u mount the post??cant work out from ur pics??....got any spare shox spacers???...looks like u got enuff on it!!..lol!!

Edited by evssv

• 2 weeks later...