• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7e, many like it, this one mine.

jari

Why? because there aren't enough hyper 7 brushless conversion threads on this forum...ha

and because new content is good.

So... took the children out with sons Midnight Pumpkin and an Ansmann X8e two weeks ago.  The 1/8th buggy went down a treat with all three wanting a go.... MP was just comical. The promise is... that with a kids basher or two I might get them involved and out more often.

the brief:

- a cheap cheap hyper 7 conversion

- for shared use among my three offspring (hopefully get pestered to do another :)

- not insanely quick just enough required.

- me to manage batteries - they are too young still to trust with lipo

- going to break.

- going to be driven badly. into things...

- might get cleaned. maybe.

the plan is to keep it under

The strip down...

started this on Saturday. Some new parts - looked like the radio box, servo tray and fuel tank were new. As well as some rear parts.  I had to use the pillar drill to remove a stripped bolt for the rear chassis brace. Preexisting bucket of spares provided the replacement to finish the rear brace.

Stripped down and RC monster mount fitted. Center diff filled with 20,000 wt oil. looked ok so otherwise left alone. 

IMG_20150213_223317718_zpsldb7tygx.jpg

Mount fits perfectly. nice to use - you can put the bolts part way into the motor before putting it into the mount. and there is a cut out to reach the grub screw on the pinion.

IMG_20150213_223945062_zpsqlyk1ffi.jpg

Front assembly on. I only noticed tonight that I forgot to put the bolts into the steering assembly on...

IMG_20150213_230105155_zps7fa5fcz1.jpg

Rear assembly on:

IMG_20150213_231132957_zpsfmqzgyno.jpg

Shocks that it came with were a bit tired at the top and with one bent shaft. I have a bag of spares from a Hyper ST. So the clean hyper ST shocks came out and were fitted:

IMG_20150213_232144901_HDR_zpsecufdc4q.j

with both front and rear fitted:

IMG_20150213_234537677_zpsscxdyc0n.jpg

servo section cut down for steering only:

IMG_20150214_240404556_zps82swokrz.jpg

Edited by jari

My first 7e had that same can. It came to me with a 15t pinion and was laughably slow. I put a 17t on, and on 3s mini me (8) coped OK, 4s was quite good fun - top end wasn't huge but she picked up v well even with 30c 5000mah lipos.

This is still all from saturday night...

how it will sit...

IMG_20150214_243153063_zpschalpggr.jpg

and at that point there was a pause while I ordered a Losi battery tray. I did strap the battery and hook it upwith zip ties. seem spromising and can't wait to try it once properly finished.

My first 7e had that same can. It came to me with a 15t pinion and was laughably slow. I put a 17t on, and on 3s mini me (8) coped OK, 4s was quite good fun - top end wasn't huge but she picked up v well even with 30c 5000mah lipos.

thanks. good to know. it is a cheap can. but that's part of the point... I have three. If they all want one.. I'm not buying them all Castle gear!

Edited by jari

The progress tonight.

The losi 8ight tray turned up this morning. 

had to cut down the tray to clear the rear diff, hinge pin and anti roll bars. Literally a 60 second job with a hacksaw

Fitted up and showing servo fitted.:

Radio gear is from a Thunder Tiger. If I want them to use this at the same time as me I am going to need 4 different handsets eventually. the Ace one is good enough.

IMG_20150218_213028229_zpsdomsln6l.jpg

Clamping the tray in place ready to drill the chassis holes. You can see I have drilled holes from the other side already. It is held in place at the front.

IMG_20150218_213037684_zpsnhlcjto3.jpg

Centre tray mount holes drilled and counter sunk. Not the best counter sink but it will do:The shiny hole is the one I haven't put a bolt in yet.

IMG_20150218_214301304_zpsyx4y9ivd.jpg

Rear tray mount drilled and counter sunk. I don't have the motor mounts.. so chose to drill through the tray and chassis to attach. Again, shiny hole is the countersunk new one.Lots of changing of drill bits to do this. 2.5mm to drill through, then open out to 3 or 3.5 for the bolt.

IMG_20150218_215329683_zpshsftnhco.jpg

Tray fitted and secure: They really are a good fit. Kudos to whoever discovered this.

IMG_20150218_215446979_zpspozvubdf.jpg

Battery in... fills the tray. Might have bought too big.. battery straps are homemade. The velcro was a metre or two long roll. Can't remember where from. not sure how long it will last.

IMG_20150218_220224931_zpsalxcyaqa.jpg

Velcro for the ESC mounting:

IMG_20150218_220459481_zps2ikh4v4t.jpg

Very , very tight fit for the ESC! This position might not last. Might need to move to centre diff instead.

IMG_20150218_220841735_zps42njrtqy.jpg

and... ta daaa

as she sits tonight;

it runs. But still some snags;

- cables don't allow the shell to fit properly. on two accounts- the ESC fouls the shell at the rear. and the cables t the front foul the shell.

Might need to make a plate to mount the ESC on the centre diff.. and then make some flatter cables to attach to the battery. but as it stands it is a runner. Just need to raid the "wheel and tyre crate" to select something suitable :)

IMG_20150218_221555435_zpsr1ltqof0.jpg

• Like 1

Looking great, my motor & esc arrived yesterday, should be able to fit this afternoon. Why did you get the battery tray ?.

Why or where? Why is obvious. Its the almost factory fit option.

Where? EBay. JE models store I think.

Edited by jari

I love build threads :) good job!

What shell are you using?

A very battered one that came with it.

Or possibly bodging another one to fit. I have 4 shells in various stages of decay from an Xray xb808. They nearly fit.  have to cover the nitro holes with wire mesh and build up the parts that are broken...  maybe attempt some wrap and call it a "rat look" buggy... 

A bit more progress tonight.

Moved the ESC and receiver around. Cables still not perfect and foul the shell... but at least the ESC is away from the rear arms. Mind you... it can still suffer from a flip and landing on roof. 

Receiver looking totally lost on the battery tray:

IMG_20150219_234025555_zpstajsidzf.jpg

ESC moved to the centre mount. shows how big the ESC is.

IMG_20150219_234032326_zpsxurutxuq.jpg

View from the motor side. done my best to tidy. No idea how some people on here get such tidy builds. Must be photoshop ;)

IMG_20150219_234056192_zpsi5vzanac.jpg

ESC is cable tied down and mounted on velcro at the base. I made a small plate out of an old cake tin lid... yes not pretty but this is not a pretty build.

with shell on and wheels. Spikes will do. don't like the look though.

IMG_20150219_234543962_zpsj7w4pint.jpg

Gratuitous moody lit shot to make it seem prettier... ;)

IMG_20150219_234623342_zpsrcw3tteg.jpg

The car freaks me out a little bit. It's the sort of ugly thing you don't want to meet in a dark alley at night.   ... which is just about perfectfor this build ;)

Took it out for maiden run today.

unfortunately cut short :( lasted literally 2 minutes before there was no drive... just a juddering from the motor.

I've seen that before and suspect the motor has lost a phase.

took it back to the garage... and sure enough the motor is borked :( Two other motors worked fine with the ESC. 

So I get to try the delights of the hobbykiing returns process...! wish me luck.

luckily I have a spare motor so can get it back up and running tomorrow. another 1900kv motor to go in. Think I might not put the tenshock 2100 in there and hand it over to the kids... that would be foolish.

• 1 month later...

Motor replaced with an identical version.

Have settled on 18t pinion.

this is the buggy in action last weekend. I know this is double posted but I like the jumps.

It has been no bother. I see why people rate them

Edited by jari

Took it out for maiden run today.

unfortunately cut short :( lasted literally 2 minutes before there was no drive... just a juddering from the motor.

I've seen that before and suspect the motor has lost a phase.

took it back to the garage... and sure enough the motor is borked :( Two other motors worked fine with the ESC.

So I get to try the delights of the hobbykiing returns process...! wish me luck.

luckily I have a spare motor so can get it back up and running tomorrow. another 1900kv motor to go in. Think I might not put the tenshock 2100 in there and hand it over to the kids... that would be foolish.

yep...that b foolish....

• 2 weeks later...