• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Scout upgrades

davejg73

I am getting a scout in the next few weeks and thinking of getting a new motor and I have been reading other peoples threads about the scout. So some threads say go with a 35t motor and others say go for 50t plus, so I'm wondering which would be better. Also been reading that some of the Axial spares fit the scout, is this also right and would this shell fit on the scout with out looking OTT eg wheel arches lining up with the wheels of the scout http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-ford-f-150-svt-raptor-body/rc-car-products/369571

Edited by davejg73

Lower the shell, fuel tube shock mod to help get rid of torque twist, weight the wheels, better tyres sedonas or rovers, get a small lipo and relocate battery for lcg, change motor to suit ie more wheel speed ot torque.

• Like 2

Lower the shell, fuel tube shock mod to help get rid of torque twist, weight the wheels, better tyres sedonas or rovers, get a small lipo and relocate battery for lcg, change motor to suit ie more wheel speed ot torque.

^^^^ this..... :thumbsup:

Love my scouts. Altho not much of either left stock. Expect to mod it a lot. Sort the weight distribution and tires (cut foams make stock tires bearable) before worrying about changing electrics and alloy bits. A slow crawler that grips and doesn't fall over all the time is more fun than a fast one that spends all it's time on it's roof or breaking drivetrain.

Re shell you'll end up fiddling a fair bit to get wheelbase and arches sorted on any aftermarket shell. I quite like the stock one carved up a bit (I have a new one spare) but if you prefer the scale look get it running nice first then get shell and fiddle with custom lower links etc.

I setup a wiki on wikia a while back which has lots of Scout info on it... Will post link when on a PC tmrw.

It's called star cutting the foams to end up with something like this. I've used these particular ones myself and they do work very well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Crawler-STAR-CUT-Foams-Tyre-Inserts-for-2-2-Wheels-/110916102857?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19d31d6ac9

The stock motor is usable but much better rebuildable motors can be bought for

• 5 months later...