• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D Printing Discussion

-BEZ-

On 26 November 2015 17:52:16, baorevo said:

keep on printing !!!!!!!! sorry to hear you decided not to get another printer tamiya !!!! you sure ? your gonna miss it !!!

latest print no support 

IMG_20151126_184252_zpsjjcwdtfa.jpg

very cool but I'm not joking all the terminator films and zombi films even the comedy ones scare the crap out of me LOL

Maybe i will maybe i wont it depends on money i can save up and time frames. i want something with metal arms so they aint no sagging
in a box so its easy to move around and well made ie fitted with true bearing carriers etc etc.  ( to be honest i dont see any company wnating or willing to do this and still sell cheap)

around 360-380 meter in a 1kilo roll of 1.75mm filament ( roughly that its) if the seller states 1kg make sure its one kg of product not 1kg inc the roll it comes on. if you find the seller says all inc the roll is 1kg your gonna loose around 200-250g for the weight of the roll so your filament weaght is then only 800-850g and not the 1000+g you expected. its a sneeky but used tactic you have to look out for. 

PET : you know what this plastic really is, go grab that veg oil bottle in your cupboard, thats PET plastic.
Ninja flex : check those glove you wear for off roading, notice that flexi but stiff plastic pad and knuckles on gloves, that tends to be plastics like ninjaflex and likes.
it has a flex but also impact  proof to. 

So since I tried the bushings, it's not been printing well at all. Some prints it will start printing in thin air, a few layers short of the bottom, and when it does print properly some layers near the bottom are skipped. This happens on all my prints.

DSC_0621_zpsvjqu2ktz.jpg

I'm going to order new bearings, and do a full re-build I think.

Edited by Vr5fx

maybe a dirty hot end nozzle ( internal ) 

but if you swapped out to bushings and this didnt happen before, i would be just trying the old bearings again see if it clears up.
if it does clear up its the bushings at fault. if not it could be the above nozzle needs cleaning out (take off nozzle and give it a bathe in acetone to get rid of all the crud thats gathered up) 

belt skip could be another. (as in a tooth worn on belt or grease on a pully wheel.)

there is another thing that produces that type of look, poor filament thats contaminated with air - particulates - water. so look into if you have just started using a new filament brand or batch to

1 minute ago, Tamiyacowboy said:

maybe a dirty hot end nozzle ( internal ) 

but if you swapped out to bushings and this didnt happen before, i would be just trying the old bearings again see if it clears up.
if it does clear up its the bushings at fault. if not it could be the above nozzle needs cleaning out (take off nozzle and give it a bathe in acetone to get rid of all the crud thats gathered up) 

belt skip could be another. (as in a tooth worn on belt or grease on a pully wheel.)

there is another thing that produces that type of look, poor filament thats contaminated with air - particulates - water. so look into if you have just started using a new filament brand or batch to

The bushings gave me lots of grief. So I swapped back to bearings. Well most of them are now bearings anyway.

It would be something to do with the Z axis, which on the Prusa is screw driven, which is a motor on each side. I've printed off 3 cubes, which have all done the same now, on the same layers.

The filament is good, I've had good prints in the past. So a rebuild for sure.

Though, my old bearings should be okay, so I'll do a rebuild, clean out my bearings and see how it goes.

ah yeah they the threaded rod and use nuts ? 

or they a screw rod with a brass screw guide bearing ? 

if its number 1  aka nut n thread rod, there is a fix for the jumping that can happen (backlash on the screw thread)
its a printable section , you wind your first nut down then slide on a spring and screw on a second nut, to compress the spring a little. 
when this is fitted back in , instead of a single nut and the thread rod you have two nuts  inside the new housing and a spring, the spring forces the nuts outwards putting pressure on them inside the new housing they give more stable guide for the thread rod to travel through and having two nuts and that spring helps to remove and take out an backlash. yes there will be a tiny bit but it removes most.

link to the object : Prusa I3 z axis guide mod ( two nuts and spring mod)

and heres a video of the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5W2-83pPvM

Tried printing a lipo tray for one of my speed cars and ran out of filament near the end, only another 20mm or so in height missing as i need to support 2x4s LiPo's. Was always unsure if i had enough or not. The printer says it has done 430m, 100m more than would be on the 1kg roll. Going to just add up the weight of what i print now to keep an eye on it.

Swapped over the filament now, running colourfabb blue, doing a cube now so will see what the outcome is!

Overall though printer is running great, i done some holes with counter sunk on the inside of the lipo tray below, in the vertical walls and even that is pretty close to perfectly round.

EgzN6rH.jpg

Edited by mayzie12
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vr5fx said:

Printer is back together and seems to be running alright. The quality isn't great, but I just need to iron out some issues again.

I'm still getting better results from Cura than using Simplify3d....

Sorry to see they gave you so much greif !!! i feel rotten having advised you to put the bushings in !!! im over the moon with mine .......... sorry about that :( .

at the moment im getting the settings and adjustments right for the ninjaflex

Edited by baorevo

Just now, baorevo said:

Sorry to see they gave you so much greif !!! i feel rotten having advised you to put the bushings in !!! im over the moon with mine .......... sorry about that :( .

at the moment im getting the settings and adjustments right for the ninjaflex

watch?v=bHh-E5361sw

It's part of the fun, ;) Also gave me the chance to put the new main board on, which is snug and running well.

What have you managed to print so far with the Ninja flex?

4 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

It's part of the fun, ;) Also gave me the chance to put the new main board on, which is snug and running well.

What have you managed to print so far with the Ninja flex?

i wanted to put the vidéo's on the page so it shows the screen and not the link but i dont know how now the forums changed lol ............ do you ?

5 minutes ago, baorevo said:

i wanted to put the vidéo's on the page so it shows the screen and not the link but i dont know how now the forums changed lol ............ do you ?

Nope, It used to work, but not now I think

Edited by Vr5fx

Done a couple of 20mm cubes with the colourfabb filament. Had to adjust the bed height a little but ran good after 3 attempts.

Visually it looks identical to the stuff i got with the printer but it is a lot stronger. Compressed a cube made of the original filament in a vice until it cracked, then done the same with the colourfabb cube. Was able to do another 1/4 turn on the vice before a cracking sound and on further inspection it still hadnt cracked!

Then went to print the lipo tray that failed after running out of the original filament. All went well apart from it seemed to get starved of filament at one point so part isnt joined. think its because the spool doesnt seemed to be coiled perfectly, making it a bit too tough for the extruder to pull on it. Changed the location of the spool to to above it to see if that helps.

JKzjPFx.jpg

Sn64enr.jpg

Its on the list now to do, i had the filament at the side which wasnt the best, its now above the extruder so should work better. Will need to print one of those things for inside a spool. What diamemters of cetres does that one you printed do?

little tip. 

i had huge problems with that starvation banding, it was a major pain in the butt.
i grabbed a simple skate bearing  fillament roller, four rollerskate-skateboard bearings, two on a rail with little feet.
your filament roll is free standing ontop of these two little rails and runs on those superfine bearings. 

add a filament hook up above the print surface head so it helps guide filament. TRUST ME, fit skate bearings to your rollers
and you will have no probelms ever on the head dragging filaments from rolls. i was able to pull from a full kilo roll no problem.
in fact i used to stand my filament roller ontop of a box behind the printer so it was roughly level as if sitting ontop  of printer itself.

DO NOT grease up the bearings, dont wash them in wd40 then use a fine oil, just leave them as they are, they free roll offer a tiny resistance and are packed full o grease to keep rubbish out and stop em drying out to quick.

very simple design, remove the motor from an rc so it freewheels, filp it upside down and stand your filament ontop o wheels, adjust wheel base so the bearings and the rim o filament touch each other at around 10oclock, so if filament is pulled its not gonna roll of the bearings

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

keep the tips coming pal. i am going to need all the help i can when this kit arrives. I plummed for the kit so i will be contructing it, will take some time but i feel it will be worth it as i will known how it works and so on. Never really tried a project like this, quite daunting - :boredlook: any tips for the build?

I have also ordered some filament so i can be getting to grips with it, and also some 3m blue tape for the heated bed. is there anything else i will need initial as i would hate to be waiting for things to arrive, if i could order it ready?

many apologies for the noob questions.