• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

I have that same combo in my Bomber and it used to be in the Yeti and it was awesome @big gaz on 3s it's really good, funnily enough I might be selling it to make the Bomber brushed again, drop me a line if you'd be interested, the motor has quite a few marked on it from when it was in my SCT and hanged out the back, but it's super smooth still, bearings all good, ESC is pretty new, but as I say, motor is marked on the outer case.

@steephill - the Yeti needs 3s... 2s is simply no good at all, fine for maybe a kid practicing, but because the internal gearing is quite low, it's built for torque and rock racing, rather than 'typical' bashing, so IMO, it's 3s or nothing.

Even on the 4000kv motor, if you're on stock gearing, mines geared up a bit, on 3s with a 4000kv Tekin motor and it flies nicely, it'll be worth trying, mine weighs exactly 3.3kg without battery, I try not to add unnecessary crap to my stuff now though, I've learned over the years it only makes them worse by adding crap loads of weight and usually ruins the handling.

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Thanks 1

@Oh How Original Thanks for that :thumbsup:

I have ordered a few parts to try and slim ("Frumpy" as I have named her).

RPM arms instead off aluminium. An SSD centred rear axle instead of the VP Currie axle. Plus it will like look crap when covered in scrapes, scratches and dints. 

And when in stock VP titanium rear uppers links instead of stainless. 

Hopefully that will drop the weight a bit.

I also try and keep my trucks as light as possible. But obviously durability must be thought of to.

10 minutes ago, steephill said:

@Oh How Original Thanks for that :thumbsup:

I have ordered a few parts to try and slim ("Frumpy" as I have named her).

RPM arms instead off aluminium. An SSD centred rear axle instead of the VP Currie axle. Plus it will like look crap when covered in scrapes, scratches and dints. 

And when in stock VP titanium rear uppers links instead of stainless. 

Hopefully that will drop the weight a bit.

I also try and keep my trucks as light as possible. But obviously durability must be thought of to.

IMO they look better with a few scratches because the real ones get scratched to hell :D

Yes durability is important, but most stuff people add really doesn't improve durability, I've been there myself.

Do you have the VP Currie on now, or do you just mean you ordered the SSD rather than Currie?

It wouldn't bother me so much, but that's because I like the look of battered axles on 1:1 vehicles, it's the first thing to get scratched up.

But I ordered a new lens over all the VP parts for the Yeti.

My first payday though I'll order the Currie F9 rear axle and front diff housing along with all the other bits I think.

• Thanks 1

I really want to replace the VP steering system, because it has ridiculous slop in it, but I know others will go the same, so currently trying to think up some kinda mod to make it tighter again.

Aye, being paid monthly will make it a bit easier, although I'd prefer weekly... Blowing £250 out of a £300 week seems like more than out of a £1,200 month lol

Just now, steephill said:

@Oh How Original Has the Currie axle fitted. I traded my losi 8 for the Yeti.

And it came with loads of ally parts. Some I like some I don't. I didn't buy the Currie axle myself and I'm still not keen on scratching it.

Like AJ said, I'd sooner scratch a £30 SSD plastic axle.

Ahhh you traded with James.

Is the Currie for sale? Send me a PM please, if it is :D I'll scratch it up good for you :P

@Oh How Original Good observation skill there:thumbsup: 

Yeah I traded with James. I should of sold the losi 8, but was tempted by the bling parts.

Not sure what I'm doing with that axle.

But if you're genuinely interested, I will let you know if it's up for sale.

Edited by steephill
Spelling

Just now, steephill said:

@Oh How Original Good observation skill there:thumbsup: 

Yeah I traded with James. I should of sold the Yeti, but was tempted by the bling parts.

Not sure what I'm doing with that axle.

But if you're genuinely interested, I will let you know if it's up for sale.

Yep, genuinely interested, I very nearly bought one a couple of days ago on the eBay 15% sale, but in the end I blew my budget on a new DSLR lens, but can still afford an axle housing if you're selling.

I'd rather have the F9, but I won't be fussy if it's a second hand price :D 

Assumed you'd be selling if you've got the SSD coming, but if not no worries, just drop me a PM if you are.

Yes, I'm friends with James :D

Cut out the V DUB Baja beetle body for the Yeti.

Still haven't decided on colour yet. But I'm thinking a Herbie style paint scheme with the two stripes down the side. 

2018-08-18_09-11-17

You can see a bit of my crawler course in the back ground. Definitely not the Yeti's forte. 

Have you tried taking the Yeti over it? It might just surprise you, with some decent throttle control, they can crawl very well :D

Some of the stuff I've taken mine over, a few minutes after bashing buddies have said "it'll never go up that" :P 

Like the shell too, I am thinking about buying the Ford Raptor body for mine, just to change it up, plus I have plenty of left over paints.

Cut out the V DUB Baja beetle body for the Yeti.
Still haven't decided on colour yet. But I'm thinking a Herbie style paint scheme with the two stripes down the side. 
43210781735_3354eb0ef9_b.jpg You can see a bit of my crawler course in the back ground. Definitely not the Yeti's forte. 
I found mine such a pita to cut. Plastic was so thick!

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

Have you tried taking the Yeti over it? It might just surprise you, with some decent throttle control, they can crawl very well :D

Some of the stuff I've taken mine over, a few minutes after bashing buddies have said "it'll never go up that" :P 

Like the shell too, I am thinking about buying the Ford Raptor body for mine, just to change it up, plus I have plenty of left over paints.

You cant really see much of the course. But it's like a rock crawl section of the King of hammers. Metal parts of your truck make authentic grinding and scraping noises. It's real easy to get wedged. And the front diff on the Yeti feels very open.

But it will stop it looking like a shelf queen quite quick, and that's good.

I like the Raptor bodies, might have to pick one up. 

2 minutes ago, steephill said:

You cant really see much of the course. But it's like a rock crawl section of the King of hammers. Metal parts of your truck make authentic grinding and scraping noises. It's real easy to get wedged. And the front diff on the Yeti feels very open.

But it will stop it looking like a shelf queen quite quick, and that's good.

I like the Raptor bodies, might have to pick one up. 

Ahhh, yes if the front diff oil is super thin, that won't help, I think I have about 30k in mine, so it's quite a nice happy medium between handling and crawling.

Yeah there's a few decent ones for the Yeti, I just can't decide which one.

I'll also have to remove my panels to fit one, so I'm still undecided.