• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SkyRC Toro Beast large scale brushless controller

53HRA

Thanks Thunder; useful stuff.That sounds like an exact mapping. I'll stick it on the list of things to look at.

Re: the shell; I'm building it for the 5B/5T/5SC initially (because I wanted one and couldn't get one).

I think there's probably quite a big market for it though - we're starved of large-scale shells. Once it's sorted for the HPI, it should only be a small adjustment to suit the wheelbase and track of a 5ive. It's a long-term project at the moment but once I have something worth posting, I'll start a new thread about it. Needless to say, I'll make sure anything I come up with is available for anyone that wants it :)

I have a contact who is developing a BMW X6 shell for the Losi at the moment. It looks like another good choice for this platform

Edited by darrenelmslie

Au contraire, the BMW X6 was not a good choice by anyone, including BMW, unfortunately, someone saw fit to release this abomination into the world and people drive them :(

Now, a classic E9 3.0 CSL shell would be freakin' sweet, or an M1 Procar shell.

• Like 2

lol. I must admit, it doesn't do anything for me either. To each their own...

Carpmart (or any other 5ive owners) Could you let me know the wheelbase, and the distsnce between the outised of the front and rear wheels (mm ideally) if you get a chance please? I tried Googling but didn't find anything.

If all goes well, I should have something  to upload some pics of later this week, or next.

Edited by darrenelmslie

Just to get this back on track, I've put about 12 packs through the ESC so far, with no issues so far. It's been fantastic.

Running 57/17 gearing and the 910kv motor seems a good combo.

I've been dialling down the punch slightly because the mini-Mx's are hooking up so well out of corners that the thing just cartwheels if I'm heavy on the throttle. Now I'm messing about with brake and throttle settings to find my sweet spot, waiting for the logging software to get better.

I'm very tempted to try this setup in the Losi 5ive. I was going to try the XL2 route but I've got a feeling this might prove itself capable. I hoped I might be blazing a trail if i did a quick Google shows Twissted, over on some of the other forums has already tried it with good results. Think I'll contact him for an update before jumping.

Hmm, how about a twin Toro Beast esc setup?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by darrenelmslie
  • Like 1

The XL2 isn't suitable for the 5ive, the car's too heavy. Castle won't warranty it. Also, 8S is the bare minimum for the 5ive, according to those that've tried a BL 5ive.

I tried the Trackstar version, it was faulty and got returned. It wouldn't connect to the pit-card and wouldn't count cell quantities correctly above 5S.

Please don't fit it to a 5ive, you'll be very disappointed c/f the badger's performance.

Good to know that it is performing well though, 17/57 is a good gear option, IMO ;)

Surprised you can get grip from mini mx's, couldn't find any traction with 'em myself, tho the fronts are still fitted cos they look good, lol.

I tried the Trackstar version, it was faulty and got returned. It wouldn't connect to the pit-card and wouldn't count cell quantities correctly above 5S.

mine has counted the cells fine, and the program card seems to work ok.

but then i still haven't taken her out for a run so it may all change, was cheap though so i don't expect it to last.

Been there Sean, amusing for a couple of runs, nowhere near the fun of the beast, hence the jump to 10s....that was the kick up the centre diff the 5ive needed, 12s should be more fun, hurrah!

Positive waves, man ;)

Going to be a good year for big BL kit, I can feel it in mi lickin' lipos :)

the star tof year isn't a good one, its still wet...i'm all for waiting 2 years to build a bl baja, but screw waiting 2 year and getting it filthy on its maden run

just. not. happening.

Mmm. Twissted had his Trackstar cr@p out on him in the 5ive. Breakin' Wind on Youtube has had some proven success with the Baja however.

Yeah, I was aware Castle wouldn't warranty the application. I'm not fussed about runtime, 10 mins is enough and I'm bashing rather than racing. I'll run what I have into the ground and then see where i go from there. lol.

I suspect the extra weight of the car will reduce the life expectancy of either ESC. That said.some people seem to have had good luck running both these ESCs in the 5ive and they don't seem to be slow. I'm still trying to figure out what the magic  formula for reliability is. It seems to be a mixture of;

i) motor kV & gearing (affecting amp draw and operating temps)

ii) Lipo capacity & C (affecting amp draw, runtime, ripple)

iii) braking - ESC/mechanical (affecting ripple, temps)

iv) luck

Even on the same platform there seems to be a large number of factors that can make the difference between success and failure. Pretty much any ESC seems to be at their mercy :)

PS - appreciate the volt-up/gear-down mantra is a proven one.. The next ESC will be more volt-capable!

Edited by darrenelmslie
  • Like 1

The xl2 wasn't slow, but not fast enough for the truck when put up against the beast and, sadly, a gasser....

Put both the beast (7s) and the 5ive (8s) against a friend's tuned 5t gasser back to back. The beast ate it alive, with ease, the 5ive only just held its own, so 8s was out of the window immediately.

I'm about to take the plunge with an 8s setup (XL2) in a Losi DBXL. I'm kind of hoping that it being a good bit lighter, will make it viable... Time will tell!

Cap-pack it, it reduced my ripple from 3 volts to 0.3, that's a marked difference!