• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TURNIGY ENOS IN-LINE POWER BOOSTER

Alex97

Turnigy-ENOS-Electronic-Power-Booster-77

TURNIGY ENOS IN-LINE POWER BOOSTER

If you watch Formula 1 racing then you already know what KERS is, if not, it is a Kinetic Energy Return System. In F1, drivers charge their KERS system while racing, then are allowed to discharge it a few seconds per lap for more power. Turnigy has a product that is supposed to do something similar for the rc crowd. The Turnigy ENOS In-Line Electronic Booster charges while driving, then is said to give more power when activated by the third channel on your transmitter. The booster is said to increase the voltage to your ESC for more speed coming out of corners, over big jumps, etc.

* Charge time- 20 seconds

* Capacitance- 30 farad

* Input Voltage- 6-14v

* Max Charge Current- 3.5 amps

The part number is #9506000001-0, they are priced at $28, and they are available right now.

Source(http://www.bigsquidrc.com/turnigy-enos-in-line-power-booster/)

Interesting.

But, perhaps only useful for a decent 1x hit when lipo is low? 

Surely it can't 'up the lipo voltage' ? but perhaps rather work with caps to store voltage (of current lipo state when recharging)?

:shockingscary:

very clever marketing cos I want 1 for giggles :lol:

Edited by Deafty

Facepalm.jpg

30 Farad capacitor? That would be about the size of a gas cylinder. More likely 30uF ( micro farad ).

And yeah, it can't increase the voltage going to the esc, even if you charge it at the start of your session it will slowly self-discharge during the run ( hurrah for parasitic current drain )- all this will do is send a tiny extra amount of current to the esc, just like normal caps will that esc have sticking out the side or top. Only difference is you get to choose when to help out your esc when it's struggling.

Do not buy.

And yes, I'm still alive. Hurray!

• Like 2

Facepalm.jpg

30 Farad capacitor? That would be about the size of a gas cylinder. More likely 30uF ( micro farad ).

And yeah, it can't increase the voltage going to the esc, even if you charge it at the start of your session it will slowly self-discharge during the run ( hurrah for parasitic current drain )- all this will do is send a tiny extra amount of current to the esc, just like normal caps will that esc have sticking out the side or top. Only difference is you get to choose when to help out your esc when it's struggling.

Do not buy.

And yes, I'm still alive. Hurray!

I've actually missed ya, you obnoxious git! ;)

Can we have you back getting all shouty at people? You're our very own Simon Cowell!

:)

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

@suicideneil

do some research first so you don't look stupid.

1. "30 Farad capacitor? That would be about the size of a gas cylinder."
Wrong. Its called a 'super capacitor'. I have several that are 10 farad and about the size of a AA battery.
here is one:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AVX/SCCT20E106SRB?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsCu9HefNWqpmIe8hz%2fozG9tx3VFXPufJbc6gbFoK1N3g%3d%3d

2. "it can't increase the voltage"
Wrong. If you charge a capacitor in parallel with a battery, then quickly switch it to be in series with the battery, it will double the voltage. This can be done with a relay or a power mosfet. This is why it needs a dedicated switch, so you can remotely flip it from parallel to series.

Now, it does not say it doubles the voltage, it says it increases the voltage by 1S. So my guess is that they are not charging the cap directly in parallel with the battery, but rather charging it with a voltage regulator circuit.

Now we can argue about whether it is useful or not, but you cant say that the physics is impossible.

12 hours ago, rocketsarefast said:

@suicideneil

do some research first so you don't look stupid.

1. "30 Farad capacitor? That would be about the size of a gas cylinder."
Wrong. Its called a 'super capacitor'. I have several that are 10 farad and about the size of a AA battery.
here is one:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AVX/SCCT20E106SRB?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsCu9HefNWqpmIe8hz%2fozG9tx3VFXPufJbc6gbFoK1N3g%3d%3d

2. "it can't increase the voltage"
Wrong. If you charge a capacitor in parallel with a battery, then quickly switch it to be in series with the battery, it will double the voltage. This can be done with a relay or a power mosfet. This is why it needs a dedicated switch, so you can remotely flip it from parallel to series.

Now, it does not say it doubles the voltage, it says it increases the voltage by 1S. So my guess is that they are not charging the cap directly in parallel with the battery, but rather charging it with a voltage regulator circuit.

Now we can argue about whether it is useful or not, but you cant say that the physics is impossible.

3 year necro post much? okay then, since it was requested:

1. The advert says '30 farad capacitor'- it says nothing about super capacitors- I know all about them though thanks to various electronics channels, but anyway. Calling me stupid for quoting the article makes you look stupid for not taking into account the context of my post.

2. Yes, if you wire it in series it will boost the voltage by whatever voltage it is rated for (briefly, as you noted ), however, the article says nothing about how it works or achieves this- so having an advert that simply states it boosts voltage by 'adding a capacitor' is extremely vague- that's what I was talking about when I said it couldn't increase the voltage ( without adding additional electronics to the capacitor unit, which we can't see inside of ).

More to the point though, if it boosts the voltage by ~1s lipo, and you're already maxed out on your esc voltage, that boost is likely to fry the esc; if you aren't maxed out, why not simply run a higher voltage battery? ( such a device would be illegal for proper races and only be much use for bashing, in which case my previous question and point stands ).

Why do people not take into account context, or give the poster some credit when they ask fair questions when faced with very vague marketing literature? And more importantly, why don't they check the last post date before joining up to a forum just to hurl insults at someone who wasn't wrong to start with? We may never know...

@suicideneil
Thank you for the polite response. I should not have called you stupid. I apologise. And yes you are right, I joined just to reply to your post. I must have been upset about something.

1. I must say though, I dont feel like your argument is very good. You would never assume someone means "ceramic capacitor", just because they did not say "electrolytic capacitor", so why would you assume "electrolytic capacitor" just because they do not say "super capacitor"?

2. I will give you this one. The advert was indeed terrible. It reads,
"The booster is said to increase the voltage... ".
What is this a rumor? Who says it increases voltage, the guy at the gas station?
So yeah, its pretty terrible.

In conclusion, you say the product is useless, just run a bigger battery, and if you are at max voltage already you will fry electronics. I completely agree. This product seems completely useless. The only way it would be useful is if it was allowed in a race with a 2s battery limit. I was trying to find out if this ever happens. I would not be surprised if there are judges that dont know to check for something like this.

14 hours ago, rocketsarefast said:

@suicideneil
Thank you for the polite response. I should not have called you stupid. I apologise. And yes you are right, I joined just to reply to your post. I must have been upset about something.

1. I must say though, I dont feel like your argument is very good. You would never assume someone means "ceramic capacitor", just because they did not say "electrolytic capacitor", so why would you assume "electrolytic capacitor" just because they do not say "super capacitor"?

I never assumed anything- they said 'capacitor', so I took it too mean they indeed meant 'capacitor'- it does no good to second guess the article by assuming they meant something else- saying capacitor instead of super capacitor is like saying car instead of bus. The article was badly written and omitted important facts- I merely took what they wrote at face value, hence calling it out as ridiculous. That said, knowing who makes the module I wouldn't be surprised if there was just an electrolytic capacitor inside, probably ~ 2200uF wired to the mosfet, lol.

3yrs on cant we just read the reviews. It's strange to drag these up mayb turnigy long forgot them too lol. But great job bringing Neil back. I know he knows his elecs better than most. Not that i do lol. 

Edited by RCbutcher