• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project Blackout: Brushless Conversion

Hyper-d

Can we do the equations please, I miss doing all the voltage drop calculations and current potential of cable based on ambient temperature and other factors....

Don't get to do them since I stopped being an electrician :( ..... Was the best part of the job...

Edited by scatteh316

• 2 months later...

Well this build has took soooo long I had to get the baby wipes out earlier to wipe the dust off it lol

but it's nearly done. Originally the esc of choice was an alien 350a but I can't seem to get it to arm. It's definetly connecting to the rx as I can get it in to manual programming mode but can't get it to arm :(

so that's been shelved and the back up max5 is in and ready to go :good:

0D3281E8-D750-457A-8738-0B0BDC77CB9B_zps

A7BB7D65-191E-4337-A471-B7FC66BD9835_zps

shall be taking it later for its first run.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hyper-d said:

Well this build has took soooo long I had to get the baby wipes out earlier to wipe the dust off it lol

but it's nearly done. Originally the esc of choice was an alien 350a but I can't seem to get it to arm. It's definetly connecting to the rx as I can get it in to manual programming mode but can't get it to arm :(

so that's been shelved and the back up max5 is in and ready to go :good:

0D3281E8-D750-457A-8738-0B0BDC77CB9B_zps

A7BB7D65-191E-4337-A471-B7FC66BD9835_zps

shall be taking it later for its first run.

where do you take it? send the esc back to bruno

Well 30 seconds after turning it on the bloody motor came loose so nipped back to get my tools and was back up and running. I did blue threadlock the bolts when I installed it but may try a dab of red this time. Other than that it ran pretty well. After owning the petrol version for some time now it felt wired to driving a large scale brushless. But just as fun. After 5-6 mins both motor and esc were around 30 degrees. I do have a sky rc fan shroud but want to get some longer runs in to see what temps are like. Next on the list roll cage and body shell.

17 hours ago, saviown said:

where do you take it? send the esc back to bruno

This was the first run so just took it to Central Park in Syston as its not far from where I live. Bruno emailed me last Monday to say say he'd emailed someone called dimitri to help me but haven't heard anything since.

15 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Is there a little free movement in the dogbone / driveshaft - looks a little tight in there?

Al.

Yes there's 1-2mm of play. You're right though it doesn't look it in the pic.

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Large BL machines do make a lot of mechanical racket! My X2 makes an awful noise, but I still prefer it to two-strokes!

Gonna ramp it? 

Oh hell yeah I'll be ramping it.

ive just put some 12.9 m4 X 16 bolts with a dab of the red stuff so hopefully that should keep the motor in place. Yeah the mechanical noise is loud lol. Surprising how much racket the tyres make too with the absence of an engine.

On 15 August 2016 at 10:51, Hyper-d said:

Well 30 seconds after turning it on the bloody motor came loose so nipped back to get my tools and was back up and running. I did blue threadlock the bolts when I installed it but may try a dab of red this time. Other than that it ran pretty well. After owning the petrol version for some time now it felt wired to driving a large scale brushless. But just as fun. After 5-6 mins both motor and esc were around 30 degrees. I do have a sky rc fan shroud but want to get some longer runs in to see what temps are like. Next on the list roll cage and body shell.

Very nice!.... Look forward to seeing it going all out. Guessing u were very easy on the throttle there? 

Ive been thinking of 1 of these for a long time. Is it a good truck in general platform wise? 

• Like 1

On 20 August 2016 at 09:22, Ocdcbr said:

Very nice!.... Look forward to seeing it going all out. Guessing u were very easy on the throttle there? 

Ive been thinking of 1 of these for a long time. Is it a good truck in general platform wise? 

Yeah I was trying to take it easy on the throttle to stop the motor from moving. Not hit full throttle with it yet but I'm not expecting it to be fast on the current gearing.

personally I think blackouts are a great truck. I think because Maverick/redcat/himoto are considered 'budget' brands it gets overlooked by many. I find it a doddle to work on and have not broken any parts to date.

though like all rc's, they're not perfect lol..... Stock servos are junk, out of the box it's a little slow and the bodyshell will crack/break/shatter if you look at it wrong .

I've also had trouble with losing or snapping dog bone pins on the front petrol powered truck. Probably my own fault though as the diffs must be bone dry as I'm yet to service them.

Edited by Hyper-d

On 20/08/2016 at 09:22, Ocdcbr said:

... Is it a good truck in general platform wise? 

Compelled to chime in here with - *so* good that it gave me the confidence to make mine jet-powered. Super-stable when specifically set up to be so. 

Edited by Arif
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Arif said:

Compelled to chime in here with - *so* good that it gave me the confidence to make mine jet-powered. Super-stable when specifically set up to be so. 

Blackout FTW lol you must inform me if your ever out and about near Leicester with it. Would love to see it in person. :good:

Definitely buddy! Leicester's up the road for me, & I'll often look to meet up with Dan (Norcoforever) from there (Kirby). I'll PM you with contact details, as I'm a bit of a Luddite & use text messaging/Whatsapp. 

Edited by Arif

5 hours ago, Arif said:

Definitely buddy! Leicester's up the road for me, & I'll often look to meet up with Dan (Norcoforever) from there (Kirby). I'll PM you with contact details, as I'm a bit of a Luddite & use text messaging/Whatsapp. 

so any vid of this jet mt going then??:good: