• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which diff lubricant for an Ansmann Virus 2?

jonny.k

Been having problems with my sons Virus 2, It keeps eating diffs. I've replaced the centre diff (after it stripped a tooth) with a new one, That's been on a week, and now the front and rear have gone. I stripped them down and there's no oil or grease left in them, Just a silver layer of metal slime all over them. Also i've stripped the new centre diff down and that has no lube in either, (Even though the seller said it's pre lubed). So i've now got to order 2 new diffs and some lube as well,, So what lube do the Ansmann diffs use?

As above really...

Grease will be fine in a differential but oil can change the characteristics of the diff. action and thus the handling of the vehicle.

Gears in general wear quickly due to them not being meshed correctly.

I forgot to mention that my lad said that it seemed as if the front wheels were spinning faster than the rears, and the front tyres would wear out faster than the rears too. Could this be due to different lubes in the front and back diffs? Or possibly someone who had the Virus 2 before me, fitted different ratio diffs..

I don't know if they are the same ratio yet, I haven't counted the teeth. I did wonder that myself. Thanks for the links folks, those Hyper spares are cheaper than the Ansmann virus ones...

Do the Hyper diffs come pre shimmed and pre lubed?

They come greased but not shimmed, to be honest they don't really need re shimming, I have ran standard hyper diffs on 4-6s brushless for 12+ months without any issues

The minimum thing you will get away with doing is cleaning out the centre diff and filling it with 40-60k diff oil, just make sure it all turns freely without any notchyness