• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage Big Bore Shocks

Ben Willis

Evening all,

The shocks on my Savage X are in need of a clean and rebuild, but I can't seem to find anywhere what weight the oil that comes in them from the factory is as I'd like to go a little bit thicker to soak up some of the jumps and maybe have differing front and rear weights to improve the handling. If anyone can let me know what stock is or what is a good set up, that would be much appreciated.

I also need to know the volume of each shock, as that way I can work out how much I need to buy, since I can only find 60ml bottles and that doesn't seem like enough to me.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening all,

The shocks on my Savage X are in need of a clean and rebuild, but I can't seem to find anywhere what weight the oil that comes in them from the factory is as I'd like to go a little bit thicker to soak up some of the jumps and maybe have differing front and rear weights to improve the handling. If anyone can let me know what stock is or what is a good set up, that would be much appreciated.

I also need to know the volume of each shock, as that way I can work out how much I need to buy, since I can only find 60ml bottles and that doesn't seem like enough to me.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when i had my savage x i used losi lst big bore shock,s works very well on the savage 

Be careful going too thick on shock oil.

the spring soaks up the bumps and impact from jumps. The oil is the damper, and whilst it will slow down the shock travel ( both up and down ) it won't stiffen up the shocks. It will just make them respond slower and prevent them from soaking up a heavy impact.

Sounds like what you actually want is stiffer springs.... but only if your truck is bottoming out

Be careful going too thick on shock oil.

Another good post sir! ;-)

I agree 100%. Ben...the easiest way to think about it (for any rc vehicle) begin with the lightest oil you can first:

1. Start with the 20wt oil all around. Drive it where you normally would. If the vehicle is 'bouncy' or bottoms out (the former is much more likely to happen) then move up 5wt. 

2. Now keep going up 5wt and continue to watch the tires.  Eventually they will begin skipping over ruts and stuff. Once that happens go back down 5wt. .

3. Now you are able to soak up bumps but will still have some bounce and possibly bottom out. This means you need more pack> try some Hobao ones (I believe they are 2-hold 1.25mm. If you need the part number let me now. 

You'll be fine if you don't add pack but it will improve it. I personally run 25/22.5 in the winter....and if I'm do any extreme jumping then I'll use same oil with smaller piston holes....or move up to 30/27.5 This is for most conditions, not all. Hope this helps!

Regarding volume....one bottle of 60mil should fill the shocks (with left over). I'd recommend anything in 20, 27.5, 32.5, , 37.5. I test them all out (and more) and was surprised at how well the truck handled with lower shock oils. In fact I have video of it all I'm posting soon so you can see for yourself what it looks like I hear guys all the time recommending 50/60wt to 'bash' which makes no sense. If you were racing on the tarmac maybe...but not off-road bashing. ;)

Finally, if you really want to get your suspension on with your savage, start experimenting with down-travel. I keep three sets of HPI shocks (one with less droop, one with more, and then stock). You can drastically affect it performance by setting the droop. I'm surprised it's not that popular in the MT world as it affects MT more than buggies/truggies IMO.

Edited by Nitro RC Nerd

I don't believe stock is 30wt here in the states. I believe it's closer to 20. I base this on taking a set of stocks and comparing the damping against a set with 30wt and one with 20wt. It dampened almost exactly like the 20wt (It was AE oil) Remember that viscosity changes drastically among brands.

For springs remember they don't have to be HPI Savage springs. In fact they don't need to be HPI springs. Mugen MBX5T springs work great with  this truck. If you see them on ebay for cheap might be worth snatching up.

Ha ha. I would not trust their manual--at all.. (And actually their manual states 32.5 and 40 as stock)...so unsure where you got 30 from...unless you are just basing it off that post. The manual has quite a bit of incorrect information pertaining to shocks especially, so they did a poor job of editing and/or keeping it up to date. 

It's a great mystery to be honest. I've read everything from 15 to 30 as stock.

Irregardless, all I can tell you is the stock oil that came with the sets I have have viscosity with the same damping affect as AE 20wt. It wasn't 15 it wasn't 25 (and certainly was not 32.5 or 40). 

In the end it's here nor there of course....the idea for ascertaining the correct oil is what I noted above. Whether it is stock or not.

Edited by Nitro RC Nerd

You know it. ;-) I have a friend who works for HPI and I would not bother to ask him as I doubt he knows. It's like the secret the Coke formula, the Divinci Code, and then the stock oil wt for the Savage. 30wt does indeed to be the most popular 'guess' next to 20wt. This is why I wanted to test it out. Granted it was no HPI oil vs HPI oil and it was in the middle or summer....but just cant see the stock being so far from AE. I have a new set arriving tomorrow or Saturday. I'll test it against some PT Racing 400cst.

In all seriousness, this is why I'd love to see RTR vehicles start posting base sheets for folks. (The same problem seems to exist with the Hyper 7.) 

Edited by Nitro RC Nerd