• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Basher BSR 1/8 Scale 4WD Rally Car

Bridge

I picked up one of these last week.  This thing is huge compared to my HPI WR8.  The BSR 1/8 is the same size as my Slash 4x4.  Looks to be well built.  All of the electronics worked without issue out of the box.  The decal job needs a bit of work and the body needed to be trimmed a little around the tires to ensure enough room for movement.  I am looking forward to running the car when the weather turns around.

RC Car Action lists this car in its January 2015 "Hot for 2015" article.  

http://www.rccaraction-digital.com/rccaraction/january_2015?pg=50#pg50   

IMG_20141218_211405_zpszep9olje.jpg

IMG_20141218_211331_zpsngh4mwip.jpg

IMG_20141218_203440_zpstapn1oy7.jpg

If anyone is interested here is a few buddy codes for the car some spare parts i bought.  The buddy codes allow you to buy the item at a reduced cost. 

http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy/?u=Bridge#catalog

If you have one already share your thoughts.  

Edited by Bridge
  • Like 2

It's either 1/8 buggy derived...or it's a shortcourse truck with new clothes .... my guess is it's a 1/8 buggy judging from the very wide shell in proportion to the length.

Not a problem unless you want scale looks, and it does look OK. If it is based on a buggy, offroad manners should be good. I know mine is. I built a RallyGame car based on a Hyper 7. You get used to the looks .... and they are better on the rough than a 1/10 tourer converted.

The only big problem I have with HobbyKing cars is the lack of spares, and there seeming reluctance to stock up this sort of thing in the UK warehouse. Perhaps they don;t sell many.....but that's because they don't SUPPORT them! If HobbyKing stock this in the UK warehouse along with spares, I reckon they will sell.

Now....what's this about waiting for the weather to turn to run it .... it says it's got a waterproof ESC! Get out there and get it muddy so you can tell us what it goes like :)

• Like 1

The basher is a rebranded Team C GT8LE-RA. The part support on the HK website has been updated and has several parts now. Getting things before they go backordered is another thing. The only thing missing on HK's site is 1/8 wheels and replacent shells.

http://www.asiatees.com/ is another area you can find parts as the two cars are identical. They carry parts for the Team C cars.

Looking at the dimensions it looks like alternative shells can be bought from Deltaplastikusa on eBay.

'Now....what's this about waiting for the weather to turn to run it .... it says it's got a waterproof ESC! Get out there and get it muddy so you can tell us what it goes like :)"

Weather wise I live in Canada and I have lots of snow on the ground right now! I have my Slash or my HPI WR8 for the snow!

Sub zero weather and plastic don't always mix. Fun to drive in but you want to stay away from the concrete curbs;)

Would the proline rally shells for the slash 4x4 fit on this?

Could you start a thread in the general rc pages just for hobbyking cars all models. So owners can come together and chat and others can get a better idea of how ther evolving.

Ide start it myself but dont own a hobbyking car yet thers afew i like but always go back lol. Seeing a bunch of owners discuss their highs and lows might sway me and others tho.

Also how come this rally is near

Edited by RCbutcher

Hey Bridge- Can you measure the wheelbase to confirm it is 330mm? I know it is based off the Team C GT8LE-RA but Team-C (and Abisma) have the specs for that chassis listed as 360mm wheelbase. See here: http://www.absima.com/en/products/cars-trucks/team-c/competition-18/gt8le-ra.html

So either HK has it wrong or they actually modified their chassis to release their own version.

At any rate I'd love to know what the WB on the Basher really is so I can look into other bodies and what not.

BTW thanks for the buddy codes! I really want to get one of these!

Hello Mgozzz, 

I measured and the wheel base is 327mm as listed on HK's site.  I have looked at the manual for the car on the Abisma site and it is identical to the BSR.  The spec'd items are slightly different but that appears to be it.   I have to think the 360mm wheel base is an error on Abisma's site. 

The BSR has cvd's in the front but dog bones in the rear.  The front and rear drive shafts for the BSR are also dogbones. The GT8LE-RA has cvd's on all drive shafts.    

The front cvd's measure 95.5mm in length and the rears are listed at 94mm.  HK only has the front cvd's.  I ordered a pair from HK and am hoping the 1.5mm in length does not cause any binding as I plan on using them in the rear.  If they bind then I have spares for the front! I will let you know when I test them.

Just waiting on HK to get bodies and wheels listed as spares.  My next order.  

BTW my BSR was dropped while in Purolator's care.  Only the shell was damaged.  One form along with a few photos by email and less than 24hrs later I get an email saying there will be cheque in the mail for my troubles!  Fantastic customer support and accountability by Purolator!  A new body once they are available.  :thumbsup: 

Great info! Thanks for posting.

So I also just checked the GT8LE-RA manual (the wheelbase thing was really buggin me!) and it lists the rear center CVD at 128mm long vs. the BSR's at 100mm long. I think the GT8LE-RA might actually have a 360mm wheelbase. If you look at the pictures of the bodies side by side and the pictures of the rear of the chassis the GT8LE-RA does seem to have more room behind the battery boxes and the rear hinge pin braces... The bodies are hard to tell though.

At any rate most of the driveline parts and other bits should swap over no problem. If you really want to save some $$ check out these guys: http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/ofna/ultra-lx2e.html you can get $14 CVD and dogbone sets, $18 full diff housings! I'm pretty sure the $12.50 front and rear knuckles will also fit on there.

Man I'm liking this chassi more and more the deeper I dig. Does anyone want to buy a bitching WR8? $303 and it yours! ;-)

After a bit more research the BSR is the Team C GT8 with a 330mm wheel base.  The GT8LE is 360MM.  HK must be having the shorter bodies created themselves.  

The different rear CVD and a GT8LE chassis is all you would need to change to get the longer wheel base if you desired.  

w1024_martini2_3984082685_t-m=1164818351

http://deltaplastikusa.com/8th-scale/325mm-rally/eighth-scale-rc-ldi-325mm

Might be my new 1/8 scale Lancia Delta!

Dollarhobbyz is a great site for parts.  I bought some diffs for my WR8 from there last time you posted:)

Edited by Bridge

• 2 weeks later...

Alright a bit of an update.  The Basher 6Kg servo died after about 3 minutes of bench testing.  Good news though.  A quick video of the dead servo and a few minutes of chatting with the staff at HK on the live chat link I was credited for the servo without having to send the dead servo back to HK.   :)  Waiting for a stronger faster digital servo from HK.(Looks good and gets good reviews.)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=43053

BTW more good news regarding the front CVD's.  The pair I bought work fine in the rear.  Now I have CVDs all around.   :)  Other sites are charging 4x HK's $12.99 for the 1.5mm shorter ones from Team C.  

One thing I have noticed is that the shocks are fairly stiff and the springs are too short to allow much of any down travel.  I have found that HPI makes several springs for their big bore shocks that have an internal diameter of 20mm.  They offer several lengths and spring rates.  I am hoping this will inexpensively create a better off road suspension for the rally.  

You do need to add thread lock to all of the metal on metal screw points on the chassis.  The only thread lock I found was on the grub screw holding he 17mm hexes on.  None on the motor mount to the chassis or on the motor mount screws or the pinion grub screw.  The grub screws on the front and rear drive train also did not have any thread lock.  

Check the gear mesh on the pinion and spur gear.  Mine was way too tight and screamed when running.  Once it was adjusted it was much quieter.  

Lastly, to calibrate the ESC follow these instructions as there is none from HK yet.  This is copied from the US West warehouse discussion board about the Rally.  

"ust calibrated my Futaba. 1) Turn radio on, 0 EPA, ABS off, Rev Throttle, 0 EXP 2) Hold down button next to on/off switch and turn on while holding, keep holding until green light comes on, then let go, pull full throttle (red light goes on), push full brake (green light goes on), release throttle back to neutral position and wait for green and red lights to flash together. When that stops you should be ready to go. Don't know about programming card, still trying to work out who made the esc."

I will update when I learn more.  Cheers.

Mgozzz,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__44191__Front_CVD_1set_BSR_1_8_Rally.html

These are the front CVDs and measure at 95.5mm.  They fit in the rear end without any issues.  

Bodies are now available from HK as well.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=76108  $34.56

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=76107  $16.80

a bit unfair that the unpainted version is twice the price as the fully put together body,

No wheels yet though. :(

Edited by Bridge
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok, still a lot of snow and more coming over the weekend. I think I found a solution for the stiff suspension and limited travel. I bought these springs from HK.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34345

34345.jpg

I used the softest (yellow) on the front shocks and the stiffest (orange) on the rear shocks. I initially had the black middle stiffness on the rear shocks but they were too soft for the weight of the car with the batteries installed.

This spring combo with 37.5 weight shock oil all the way around has softened the suspension. I was also able to back-out the grub screws allowing further down travel for control arms.

The ride height is level at about 4 cm.

Here are some photos :)

IMG_20150321_163744_zpsihckmpez.jpg

IMG_20150321_163835_zpsutvqjvsj.jpg

I am thinking of purchasing these for a shock upgrade:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=64270

The upgraded servo I put in also gives the car a lot more steering speed and looks great.

Now I just need the weather to dry up!

Edited by Bridge

• 1 month later...

Would the proline rally shells for the slash 4x4 fit on this?

Could you start a thread in the general rc pages just for hobbyking cars all models. So owners can come together and chat and others can get a better idea of how ther evolving.

Ide start it myself but dont own a hobbyking car yet thers afew i like but always go back lol. Seeing a bunch of owners discuss their highs and lows might sway me and others tho.

Also how come this rally is near

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

Did I ask about the shocks? How long are they 97mm would be great.

Also the tires of this are near identical to traxxas rally bfg ones.

Hello RCButcher,

The front shocks are 96mm and the rears are 112mm. They are 20mm bore shocks.

They are much better with the softer springs and the increases travel for off road driving.

Too bad they did not make threaded shock bodies. Or at least a threaded shock body available as an upgrade.

The sale price with free shipping makes this RC dirt cheap for what you get.

Cheers