• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

engine preheating

smegheadsteve

Hi chaps, just a quick one, I have thrown together some bits to make an engine preheater (sweetcorn tin with a hole and a H7 bulb inside, to a cigarette lighter plug so I can use it in the car when I am out).Not sure how successful it will be but I had all the bits lying around so hasn't cost me anything.

The bulb sits inside the head nicely (it is the long thin type) and I am just wondering if I should remove the glow plug when preheating?

Cheers.

Here are the pics of what I made, not my idea by the way, I got some ideas off the web. Works a treat, 5 mins of heat was good for a first time start from cold. When I get chance I will see if this time will reduce at all.

By the way it's a 55w bulb.

I was going to make an improved version when I proved it worked, I cut the tin a bit short, and I thought about wrapping exhaust heat wrap around it, but it worked that well I don't think I need to bother.

Ok, how do I add pictures?

IMG_20141206_124056_zps4bf8b6b1.jpg

IMG_20141206_125437_zps68334142.jpg

Edited by smegheadsteve
  • Like 3

Yes, good stuff...bulb in a bean tin (or sweetcorn..or..) it does the job for low cost.

As we all know the carb settings on these engines are primitive...it is a basic carb....when it is mighty cold or settings are rich then getting it warmed before starting will always help....never mind the actual advantages of engine longevity. :)

Nice job :)

I have seen similar designs adding a second layer with a fan to blow the hot air down and over the cylinder. Some also use those cheap stainless flasks instead of the bean tin for a more 'pro' look. Doesn;t work any better....just doesn't smell of beans :)

Definitely beats going out and spending

you can extend the heating.

if you wrap the inner with a fireproof cloth and the outer to.

place foam round the outer of can then your fireproof cover.

inside you just lay in your fabric and expoy it inplace.

in very cold climates, like canada and likes, even uk, we oldies used to run with socks fitted to engine heads.

nitro motors like to run at a hot temp, but when the air outside is -1 and the windchill at 30mph is more like -12

your engine gets more cold than you think, this in turn makes it preform more sluggish. so a sock to keep the heat in was used.

you want something that will not melt but will keep the heat in. 

I know it's not ideal, not very portable if I need a car to use it! I have already noticed how quickly these engines cool down (I am new to nitro) I left the car for 5 mins after a run and it wouldn't start, had to use the heater again, so it won't be very good if I let cool the car cool too much in the middle of a field, will have to go back to the car to start it.

It will do for now.

I know it's not ideal, not very portable if I need a car to use it! I have already noticed how quickly these engines cool down (I am new to nitro) I left the car for 5 mins after a run and it wouldn't start, had to use the heater again, so it won't be very good if I let cool the car cool too much in the middle of a field, will have to go back to the car to start it.

It will do for now.

No one is knocking you..only praise...once upon a time this hobby was all about finding a problem and making something to fix it. :)

You did good.  :thumbsup:

seems to me u have nitro on hand, just miss a bit when filling up then set light to the whole car, should heat THING
S up nicely, works anywhere too :whistling:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh the joys of winter. Had my dominator running a treat on boxing day (started within seconds of leaving the house), yet took it to the park today, completely forgetting how cold it was. No joy.

I either need to get a means of warming the engine, or else start it up at home and "drive" it to the park (5min walk from my door).

And today was made even worse by the fact my little lad, who got a maverick ion MT for crimbo, was literally running rings around me whilst I was trying to get my truck fired up.