• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AJ's KV1 Heavy Metal Russian Armour

.AJ.

The IBU2 Pro has all the settings for turret rotation with a 360 servo, you can change both the speed and direction or rotation, this is one of the differences between the IBU2 Base and the Pro, the big problem like you say is the gear ring and pinion to drive it, would it really be worth doing if I still have to use the stock course gears??? But I'll get a servo ordered up (

Edited by .AJ.

Been having a think, if I can get the servo to run at a low enough speed I could rotate the turret directly off the output shaft of the servo, I would mount the servo on a brace across the underneath of the upper hull, then make a plate to go in the centre of rotation ring and mount a cross shaped servo horn to the dead centre of it, I've just ordered a servo and it has 15kg of torque with metal gears, so it should be well up to the job :)

Edit... Another brainwave

If I need to gear down I could fit a spur gear to the centre of the plate in the turret ring and offset the servo and then drill out a pinion gear to fit the servo shaft

Edited by .AJ.

1x traxxas summit , 1x apocalypse body, then some guns missiles and a tank box for sounds.

Or scx10 with .50 on the roof like humvee. I cant see a tank in my house tbh but a gun truck mayb. half track wpuld be cool too.

Edited by RCbutcher

Got round to cutting in the speaker, the sound is a lot better and has a good punch to it now, I made a little vid....

Also I've set the limiters/scale speed on the tracks and spin, she behaves more like a scale tank now :)

Sounding nice :)

Does it play the inspiring Soviet song every time you start the engine, or is that an option!

Speed and slower turning is definitely looking nice. I hated the super spin turning my HL came with as stock. Turn that fast and you would rip the tracks off a real tank ( and a 1/16 one too sometimes ) and it makes them a pain to drive. Slower turning just feels right.

What you got planned for it now?

Next step is the 360 servo mod for the turret rotation, then to move back to weather the hull, the plan for the future is to find another upper hull and do a SU152 conversion, I'll share one lower hull with 2 uppers :)

Sounding nice :)

Does it play the inspiring Soviet song every time you start the engine, or is that an option?

It's an option, I've got 3 sound clips I can play through channel 6 on my radio, at the moment I've got 2 speech clips and that song, There are other sounds I can replace them with if I want

Lack of noisy whirring motors is well worth the effort in my book.

Definitely needs toning down in terms of speed, but still better than stock.

One thing I did wonder, though. Is the stock motor the noisy part, or is it the plastic gearbox and chunky final drive teeth ?

It's the gears in side the box and the motor which make the noise, I've seen a vid where they have used the geared turret ring and the final drive gear and it's pretty quiet, I did think about going that route, but with spaced becoming very limited in side the hull I needed to get the servo in a specific place in the hull and driving the turret direct off the servo made more sense/room. Once the servo speed controller is fitted it should slow things up nicely :)

Edited by .AJ.

I can see why you want to slow it down. Still it is quiet.

I'm intending to use servos for the turret rotation, gun elevation and recoil on the Torro Tiger 1 build so I'm interested in seeing how you get on on the KV1. Just scared myself a bit reading through the 9 page manual on the Elmod Fusion Pro and I still haven't downloaded all the documentation yet. Sooooooo many options. Do I really need to use the hatch opening option? Still would be cool to have the drivers hatches slowly open and close remotely.

John