• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A change of idea, just want advice

forbs

Hi everyone as you may know I'm looking for a mini or micro heli, I wanted to know what peoples thoughts on the blade nano cpx, so I can learn 3d flying, instead of going fixed pitch then having to learn all over again.

I will be learning inline with a simulator so i also need advice on these too.

What do you think ?

Many thanks, Dave :)

Nooooooooooooooooooo

Odds on you'll break it before you get used to it.

I have one, and it's VERY responsive and twitchy. Also has a high head-speed...which is not good for indoor use. I have mine on a DX6i so I can mess about with the control profile to dumb it down a bit, but even then you have to focus to keep it where you want it.

It's really not for a novice as it is very unforgiving.

While people go on about sims to learn, they don;t teach you the feel. I found one handy to learn to fly nose-in, and to get to grips with the orientation without crash damage. The actual flying experience is nothing like the real thing in my view.

+1 on Nitroholics advice, far too responsive

Personally, having flown from Blade mcpx up to Trex 600, the bigger the heli the more stable it is. As  a novice the thought of flying a 600 class ,may seem very daunting but is much more forgiving. However, when you crash the costs will be a lot more.

I would advise getting to grips with a flight sim (I use phoenix and its pretty good) to get your orientation/nose in sorted and look at a 450 or 500 size. This advice is repeated on Rcheliaddict website by several members

I can definitely say that I was only just hovering when I got my 500 and with sim practice then getting the real feel on the heli outside, it wasn't long before I was doing figure 8's and flying comfortably

Remember height is your friend, get the heli off the ground and up to a couple of metres, youll be out of 'ground effect' (the turbulence from the rotors bouncing back from the ground and back into the blades) and practice hovering, then take each step slowly, don't try to run before you can walk

I hope my advice is helpful :o

+1 on Nitroholics advice, far too responsive

Personally, having flown from Blade mcpx up to Trex 600, the bigger the heli the more stable it is. As a novice the thought of flying a 600 class ,may seem very daunting but is much more forgiving. However, when you crash the costs will be a lot more.

I would advise getting to grips with a flight sim (I use phoenix and its pretty good) to get your orientation/nose in sorted and look at a 450 or 500 size. This advice is repeated on Rcheliaddict website by several members

I can definitely say that I was only just hovering when I got my 500 and with sim practice then getting the real feel on the heli outside, it wasn't long before I was doing figure 8's and flying comfortably

Remember height is your friend, get the heli off the ground and up to a couple of metres, youll be out of 'ground effect' (the turbulence from the rotors bouncing back from the ground and back into the blades) and practice hovering, then take each step slowly, don't try to run before you can walk

I hope my advice is helpful :o

Yes thankyou both. Your advice is very helpful. The main reason I don't want anything bigger is I'm just not a fan of flying somthing that could potentially be a risk if it got out of hand. But if learning with the cpx is a no no then I will take your advice...

I was only looking down this avenue as I have a hubsan x4 and its so easy to fly, even in expert mode!

I was naively going to try and advance ? To a 3d heli and try learn from there.

Those flight Sims ?

Are they the same as the

I went down this route and to be honest it's like anything else, people are better than other but you can learn.

I started with the v2 MCPX with a dx6i and toned everything down on the expo so it was a bit milder and the headspeed wasn't as fast.

Then when flipping into 'stunt' mode the headspeed would go to 100% and the thing became a razor sharp, twitchy nightmare! but you get used to it.

I used Phoenix as the sim and that taught me a great deal but like above it doesn't teach you 'feel', BUT it does teach you how to invert and do other things so you can learn how to do it and the orientation..

For me I would recommend the MCPX, but only on grass and in an open space with no one around.

The best way to practice getting used to it is, heli facing away in a dumbed down mode and flighing it away from you, up down etc.

Then just practice and the rest falls into place.

Bigger the heli the more stable it is though!

Phoenix mate, all the way! - I might have mine to sell if interested. Sorry about the sales pitch lol :tease:

Yeah I Have seen a few on eBay of that name, I can't remember if I'm allowed to link on this forum

100% Phoenix! you can choose your heli and loads of the popular brands like blade, trex etc. plus you can set wind speed and makes it realistic

It's expensive but worth it, had a cheap sim at 1st and it was cheap for a reason. It was like training our Air Force pilots with the original space invaders!

My two peneth.

I, like Mr Nitro would not suggest the Nano to someone who is looking to start out flying CP heli's. To big for inside for a beginner and to small for outdoors unless it is dead calm, even then it can be a hand full to lean hovering etc. Others dumb them down but I found it harder to fly tbh.

Try and pick up a second hand Tx such as the Spektrum Dx7s or Dx8 and get a sim of your choice. Others have suggested Phoenix, I cannot get on with it myself and much prefer CGM neXt but each to there own. There are others, Realflight, AccuRc. No matter what sim you use it is nothing compared to the real thing. It just gives you a chance to learn orientation, moves, stick inputs without the worry of crash costs. Reason I say second hand Tx is that if you don't find heli's are to your taste you can move the Tx on with little to no loss. PM incoming reg cheap sim.

For a heli, it really depends on how much you are willing to spend. A 450 is a great size for someone who is testing the water. As has been said the bigger they are the easier they are to fly. My Goblin is easier to fly than my Nano.

Cannot go wrong with a Trex 450 as a starter heli. Spares are cheap and everywhere. I would give flybarred heli's a miss. flybarless is so much easier to setup, repair and is a damn sight kinder on the eye.

Really does depend on budget, give us a price to work with.

• Like 1

Yes they are cheaper but not much of a risk buying the 7s or 8 providing you don't over pay. The 7s and the 8 are much nicer Tx's for a bit extra. Much nicer screen, gimbals, menu layout, feel in the hands. All imo.

Might upgrade my DX7 to a 7s then!! :D :D

It's never to much if you are going to stick at it. It is a long learning curve but the rewards are well worth it.

I've been flying for over 5 years and dread to think how much I've spent but each heli (except the twister cp) has been a step up. Currently have a gaui 500, trex 500 and 600.... And 2 quads!

For me, nothing will beat the feeling of my first real hover or flying fast banked turns and feeling 'confident'!

Slow and steady and like Danny says..... Rewards are well worth it

• Like 1

Every time I learn and pull of a new move at the field I get that "feeling" Love it! Been flying 2 years with a couple of breaks. I find confidence a huge factor in flying heli's. If I get nervous or don't fully commit to what I am trying to do I normally crash :lol:

So is it better to learn collective pitch first if that's the way I want to go? Or should I invest in a fixed pitch first and then learn collectice?

If I got a dx6i would I be able to run multiple helis from the same tx