• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ascender thoughts

Bigyeti007

ordering a ascender to day :hahadance: and getting one of these lipos http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__34366__Turnigy_nano_tech_Shorty_4200mah_2S2P_65_130C_Hardcase_Lipo_Pack_ROAR_APPROVED_UK_Warehouse_.html what esc and motor do i get preferably from hobbyking UK Warehouse so i can order them at the same time

• Like 1

If you dont mind me asking, how much was your total order ?? Price wise, just so i can try gauge how much im gona get hit by lol.

On another note im really tempted to buy another ascender and do another build, different body, narrow the axles etc.

The order was 197 dollars including shipping. Customs and I assume Royal Mail rip off handling fee came to

I know that Vaterra is supposed to be bringing out a few other Ascender chassis based models. Be ineresting to speculate just what they could be like.

John

Yes buddy, just the fact of the ascender having properly adjustable chassis rails and different size links supplied in the kit suggested this, i cant wait to see what they bring out, i already have 2x blazer bodies and the hardbody toyota land cruiser off ebay, same wheel base as the blazer body ;) im spoilt for choice already lol, more choice ont go a miss though lol.

Mmmm not quite sure what id like to see vaterra release, some more old 80's bodys would be awesome.

Suggestions guys in what you would like would be great.

A proper nice unimog would be ace.

Yes it certainly would.

I would love to see a long wheel base pajero/shogun

Maybe even a swb frontera that would be cool.

Down to earth stuff we all see on a daily basis ;)

Old range rover

Edited by the watchman

ascenders here :hahadance: can't have it till xmas tho  :aww: but had a sneak peek in side the box :ssh: the shell is bigger than i thought looks like 2+ tins of paint for each color a nice bright yellow methinks :yes: going to start getting all the bits now paint wheels tires and so on can't wait :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Well picked up my RPP order, but the modelsport order I made at the same time is only just in at their place. Bit of a fail for them as if they sell the truck, they should stock some parts.  I didn't by my Ascender off them however, but the local shop. Why the hell should it be quicker to buy from the US?

I got front and rear driveshafts (2 to a pack), 3 sets of ring and pinons, axle housings, and spur gears. 

Been working on mine today, i have not had much time lately due to work, thought i would pop a few pics up of how its getting on, theres still a few things to do before its finished for good though, im waiting on bits from rpp hobby first, interior needs planning out with driver figure, odd decals here and there, inner arches and a final body trim etc, but you get the picture  :thumbsup:

IMAG0183_zpsqzdgfnp2.jpg

outside picture 

IMAG0178_zpsn0hcqdm7.jpg

have to have a flex pic :thumbsup:

IMAG0180_zpsh2fla63f.jpg

IMAG0179_zps4r4p6epw.jpg

its slowly getting there and i have changed my mind a few times on colour, rims and other things which has not helped lol, think im buying another though very soon,i have so many different ideas for it one truck is not enough lol, i do really like this ascender though its a absolutely belting truck.

Edited by the watchman

Nice! I finally got the parts for mine. New diff gears in the back and also am installing some Gmade shocks. They are slightly shorter than the stocks shocks, but I found some longer ends in my box of "bits" so used them to get the same ride height. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow as I'm on evening shifts.

Went fine today for a 2 hour run. Got some video. The Gmade shocks seem to have a little less travel, but it still did excellently. Nothing stopped it except driver skill.

P10301251_zps5d3c3a36.jpg

That's what I used.  I have 20 weight oil in, with 3 hole pistons, but might go lighter, maybe 10 weight just to try it.

On the old shocks, any attempt at going flat out (about 8mph lol), the truck would just bounce all over the place. The stock shocks might be fine with lighter oil in them. I think they used heavy oil, possibly 40 weight to try and reduce the torque twist.

Edited by M1tchy

I used 45wt with 3 holes in my g-made, yes they bouce a lot... Maybe I should try lighter, might do that this afternoon, I have some 20wt lying around, maybe 20wt with 4 holes.

That might work. I have plenty of the shocks, so might build another set with 4 hole pistons and swap around. I also got some softer springs, but not sure whether to try them. Experimenting doesn't hurt I guess.

Edited by M1tchy

Let me know how it goes.  I'm also thinking of star cutting the inserts as i find them a bit stiff. That or look for something slightly softer. The Ascender is very light, at least 2 pounds lighter than my SCX10 based truck.

Yeah I have thought about getting some star cut inserts, or maybe cutting mine. Luckily the g-made beadlocks I have are nice and heavy and sure help, but star cuts would help even more.

The 4 hole pistons with 20wt oil is much better. Still a little bounce going full whack, but mine is geared 16/84 with a 35t motor, but overall I prefer it.

I managed to get up things I hadn't been able to before.

But i bashed it pretty hard and broke a pinion I think. Shall go see now.