• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ascender thoughts

Bigyeti007

I have a question. After my build, I look at the front axle from underneath and it is not quite straight, it looks like when the suspension if fully extended something pulls it to the right a little. If I compress the suspension fully it straightens up, even when compressed part way it straightens up.

I have checked all links are the same length.

Very strange, will see how it drives and whatnot.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Motor just arrived and servo plus wheels. Mounting up the IROks to the g-made beadlocks, seems like I won't need to weight them as they are already quite heavy.

Waiting for ESC now

I have a question. After my build, I look at the front axle from underneath and it is not quite straight, it looks like when the suspension if fully extended something pulls it to the right a little. If I compress the suspension fully it straightens up, even when compressed part way it straightens up.

I have checked all links are the same length.

Very strange, will see how it drives and whatnot.

Anyone else experienced this?

The panhard bar needs a 12mm spacer, check your box contents again, in my kit i had a seperate bag with 4/5 plastic spacers in them, there just little black tubes, whack one on your panhard bar and that will straighten your wheels up :)

I spent yesterday installing MIP drive shafts and  a Tekin 30T hand wound motor. 

went out on to soggy Dartmoor and had a good time. Very impress with what it will climb and the tight steering circle is a great bonus over the Axial land barge circle.  Eventually though a pin in the left front cv broke, but not too bad for a new truck.

P10301211_zps46a5e295.jpg

P10301171_zps9cf504c5.jpg

Edited by M1tchy
  • Like 1

I have bought some shims so may install a 0.1mm shim when my MIP drive shafts arrive between the bearing and pinion.

Hopefully hardened pinion and spool will be released soon.

Also how's the 30t motor? It looks good but I already have a novak 35t

Edited by ostewart

It's really nice compared to the 45t I had in there before. I wanted more wheel speed and I certainly got that, plus with the fxr ESC it's very smooth compared to the MMP in my other truck. I run a 20t pinion and its good at low speed, very good control.

Esc arrived, all setup and took it out for a spin.

I did what a few people suggested to prevent stripping the pinion and spool by putting both shims on the drive side of the spool so the mesh isn't as loose.

Well it is a very capable piece of kit, only things not stock are wheels and tires (g-made beadlocks, RC4WD Interco IROK tires) and a 16t pinion.

I took it out on the rocks down the beach, very good fun. No problems with the pinion/spool, but my drive shaft gave out when I got it quite badly stuck, so all my fault, cannot fault the kit.

I did order MIP shafts last week though, but they may take a while to arrive :(

I did cut out the front wheel arches a bit so no tyre rubbing, and the rear a tiny bit.

The 35t motor I have is fine, got enough torque for climbing, and enough wheelspeed if I get stuck or need to rev it a bit to climb something.

I don't like the stock shocks, too stiff/bouncy and leak a little, so G-Made diaphragm shocks are on their way, I have these on my blitz and they are super smooth. A little shorter than stock but not a problem.

Alturn servo is fine and has enough torque, sidewinder 3 is a great ESC and very programmable, i'm running it on 2s lipo shorty packs 4200mah nano-techs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128717000@N06/15626695190/in/photostream/

3 photos of it

Edited by ostewart
  • Like 1

This is what broke. I'm surprised the cv broke on the end of the shaft, but I did get a bit rough with it and the wheel jammed between a rock and a tree branch. Also I left the diff case screws slightly loose by accident as I found out when I stripped the axle today. So my fault for wrecking the pinion.

IMAG0408_zps2rb3mhau.jpg

Well Axial stuff breaks all the time as I have had to upgrade everything to make it reliable on my other truck. Transmission, driveshafts, beef tubes, hd gears, plus if I wanted a turning circle as good as the Ascenders it would cost a load more, and still be out driven by the Ascender. Basically, buy an SCX10 and spend the same amount on upgrades.

It wouldn't surprise me if Axial drop their prices soon to 'compete', but I still wouldn't buy what is basically a 10 year old design.

I have ordered spares from Modelsport, but although they are quite willing to sell the truck (I bought mine locally though), they don't seem to carry spares, so I have to wait for a back order. RPP here I come.

Edited by M1tchy

Well Axial stuff breaks all the time as I have had to upgrade everything to make it reliable on my other truck. Transmission, driveshafts, beef tubes, hd gears, plus if I wanted a turning circle as good as the Ascenders it would cost a load more, and still be out driven by the Ascender. Basically, buy an SCX10 and spend the same amount on upgrades.

It wouldn't surprise me if Axial drop their prices soon to 'compete', but I still wouldn't buy what is basically a 10 year old design.

I have ordered spares from Modelsport, but although they are quite willing to sell the truck (I bought mine locally though), they don't seem to carry spares, so I have to wait for a back order. RPP here I come.

Each to there own as I've said before fella, but is can't see what all peoples problems are with turning circle, mine turns on a dime as does my lads both with different alloy upgrades.

Also saying that you need to add upgrades doesn't really have any weight to it, how many rc are perfect from the box?

If they were how many companies offering upgrades and add-ons would be out of business.

But as said various times, your money your choice, me personally would be scx10 every time, 10 year old design says something though, means they got it right and been so popular and right up there that new tyres and shells are all that's needed to keep this firmly on the top step above the rest including rc4wd.....

Let's see how well the asscender is doing in 10 years time and still selling as many as axial do now.....

Alloy upgrades, and the Ascender still turns better, climbs better and parts are cheaper.  Which Axials should be, considering how long they have been in production and the development costs have been paid a long time ago.. It's ok if you want to spend money. And how can they have "got it right" if it needs expensive upgrades to make it reliable and fairly good to drive?

Edited by M1tchy
  • Like 1

Good point M1tchy. I like the ascender box stock. Yeah there are a few upgrades that could be worthwhile but most agree it performs as good as if not better out the box than a hopped up axial.

I bought 2 sets of pinion and spool gears as spares, driveshafts it was my fault as it got jammed between 2 rocks badly.

A few people had issues with the pinion and spool, but if you shim it correctly, that does mean buying more shims, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm glad I got the ascender as my first crawler/scaler, looks better than axial too, more scale.

Edited by ostewart
  • Like 2

I dont understand how anybody can say "and thats why i will stick with axial" because of a broken shaft and pinion gear, and then in the very next post say "needing upgrades adds no weight because what rc is perfect out of the box" ??? Its a contradiction isnt it ???

There has been absolutely no compitition for a scx10 over the last 10 years thats why so mamy have been sold, if anybody wanted a reasonbly priced scaler the scx10 was the only option, until now.

Obviously theres rc4wd thats been around a while but imo you can not compare a scx10 to say gelande 2, yes theres a price difference but theres also a big quality difference, rc4wd are all metal and waaaay more scale than a scx10, simple as that im affraid, and yes i have both so again i compare these 2.

Axial have lost the plot lately, ram power wagon "new model" lololol, and that failure that is a yeti, look how many are for sale on the bay at the moment second hand, complete flop imo, a new wraith with a reliant robbin body plonked on top, its laughable to be quite frank about it, i have always liked axial but untill they produce a decent new model i wont be buying axial again.

Edited by the watchman

Well I think you three are well and truly sold on the asscender so as long as your happy then that's good enough.

Onto the yeti being a flop, what about the twin hammers?? Toy grade plastics and poor build quality!

Also yes while the gelande and TF2 appear to be more scale looking, I'm sure being as experienced as you are in this field will know the poor build quality of the rc$wd offerings too??

Collapsing bearings in the transmission etc. a mate of mine had to spend another

Well I think you three are well and truly sold on the asscender so as long as your happy then that's good enough.

Onto the yeti being a flop, what about the twin hammers?? Toy grade plastics and poor build quality!

Also yes while the gelande and TF2 appear to be more scale looking, I'm sure being as experienced as you are in this field will know the poor build quality of the rc$wd offerings too??

Collapsing bearings in the transmission etc. a mate of mine had to spend another

Edited by the watchman

My user name on most scale forums is "greeley" which is my surname :) it was years ago though mate lol.

I still go on scale rc though as i do on all the other scale forums, but having an opinion or a discusion is what forums are all about isnt it, as i say to this day i never knew why you left, your axial knowlege and know how is second to none as it was back then, i totaly respect that.

axial is a cult brand led by medic the last 2 years er body wants scx10 mainly to further ther youtube channel. Not saying that gaz we all have an rc we defend but deep down know we defend it alil to strongly lol. For me its my revo ive had 2.5yrs and driven it for an hour then it sat broken now its fully upgrsded ive lost the spark with it and going elsewhere. But ill keep it for one day. itll always be my favourite.

I tried a savage and didnt like it at all.

Vattera we should all supoort them their designs are all cool even the on roads. Show them and the after market companies we like them and vattera could become a solid brand.

The youtube scale events would be much more intresting too having more variety on show.

Ide like to see assender vs scx10 tough truck series lol it would be fun.

Gaz i bet you could also make up some nice alloy items for the assender too. side rails , bull bars and rear bumper with tow eye or something.