• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First helicopter

forbs

Hello everyone I'm back too it now. And have just bought a hubsan x4 and I'm loving it. For the Money it is a mighty machine !

As I now have the bug and my partner is bugging me what I want from Christmas, I was going to suggest a small helicopter.

Does anyone have any recommendations? One that has caught my eye is a blade msr. They relatively In expensive and look a bit of a challange

Any thoughts guys ?

Cheers, Dave

Not a bad choice.

A co-ax is easier to fly.... but also has a shorter 'life' in terms of how fast you get used to them and the sort of flying you can do. They are limited in forward speed, and limited in the degree to which you can throw them around. You soon get used to them, and soon reach the limit of what they can do.

The next step up is a fixed pitch single rotor. Harder to master. ... but once you do, more satisfying to fly. The old fly-bar mSR was fine ... but prone to wearing out hte motor/bearings. The newer mSR-x is better, and flybarless. Would be fun buzzing around the Christmas tree :)

Flying a heli is not at all like a quad though, so expect some transition time! Especially getting off the ground and out of the ground-effect zone

• Like 1

Really ? That's shocked me because I have taken to this little hubsan with ease, well kind of lol, the only thing I struggle with is turning it around and flying it towards me... Bends the mind lol

How about this one..

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroonline/e13_blade/e13-blh2000/e13-200sr-x.html

I'm thinking about getting one for Christmas..

I've been flying my Blade msx for the last two years and I've got board with it ,theres only so much they can do...

OK for pi$$ing about around the house..

Sean

That looks good matey how much are they ?

The one I'm after is a msr which I think is a little more advanced then the msx. I was just after somthing small that might be forgiving if I have a few bumps

Micros are fine for indoors...but will struggle outdoors.

My Blade Nano is flyable outside....but not if there is any wind. If you plan to fly outdoors....you really need to go bigger. I used an SR120 to start getting used to outdoors flying. Interestingly...I have also been thinking of replacing that with the 200. I am a little uncertain about moving up to a 400 sized CP heli, as they are a little intimidating.

Really depends what you want to do with it. Just flying around the house...mSR or mSR-x will be fine.

If you want a cheap mess about...these actually don;t fly badly:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-GreatWall-Xieda-9968-2_4G-4CH-Mini-Single-Blade-RC-Helicopter-p-61607.html

I bought one for a giggle...but it actually flys OK. Another cheapo option is a WL Toys V911

If you are not sure what to get, a

What do you guys think of the blade cpx, these look pretty decent for the money, if I invest in a dx6i and some simulator software to learn 3d flying ? What do you think ? :)