• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Doddy's ST1 Budget Brushless conversion

Well its all DONE  :thumbsup:

Swapped out the servo i was using for one of these just too see what there like 

DSC02696_zpsab4dea97.jpg

Motor and esc are in went with the Leopard 4082 2000kv and a Hobbywing Quicrun 150a esc 

DSC02697_zpsdbdccb10.jpg

Now i was given a white wing but i have broken it  :shockingscary:  so for now i'm just using a black one as thats all i could get today  :yucky: ..

DSC02698_zps6f27d014.jpg

Lastly a fresh coat of paint 

DSC02695_zpsffecaa88.jpg

DSC02694_zpse1d13725.jpg

DSC02691_zps97b6cc6c.jpg

DSC02688_zps0062688b.jpg

Not the best paint job a fair few little mistakes but it will do till it breaks or i get bored of it  :yes: ..

Next job will be a saxton steering mod   :thumbsup:

Edited by mydoddy69
  • Like 3

Thanks fella's

Running vid will be coming but can't say when as it's either too dark or peeing down with rain or we get a clear day and I'm stuck at work Sod's law !!

I never taped these badlands I went the lazy route and bought them pre glued .. I'm hoping there be ok as the stock tyres where soft and never ballooned so fingers crossed !. If they do I'll just soak them off and tape them .

Lastly yes I painted the shell it's OK but there are a few funny cuts of the masking tape when you look closely !.

Final budget was

How does the 4082 run on the quicrun 150a, got a friend about to use that same combo but the esc says maximum can size 4274!

To be honest I can't see 8mm causing a problem

It's fine if you read what it says

Motor Limit:

For 4S Lipo or12 cells NiMH:

4274-size or smaller motor with the KV<3000

For 6S Lipo or 18 cells NiMH:

4274-size or smaller motor with the KV<2400

So although this is longer it's a smaller kv than the limits !.

• 2 weeks later...

How's this running mate? Got me really thinking of doing mine now!

One word brilliant !! :thumbsup:

If i did another i might change only one thing and thats the motor maybe for a lower kv and run 6s but for now this is more than good enough for me..

I wouldn't do the UK only thing either as parts are easier to find outside the UK and are a lot cheaper !!.. Asiatees had the conversion kit for under

I'm Not fussed by nitro holes! That kit sounds great from asiatees though, I'd probably go for a wp sc8 2000kv combo from rcecho? What size pinion did you go for on 4s?

https://www.asiatees.com/cart

Is this it?

Edited by Bigjimknickers

Not sure as the links to your cart but if its this one then yes 

http://www.asiatees.com/display?Miscellaneous-All-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=51677

Current pinion is a 16t but i'm running a associated 48t spur not the steel 50t 

Not sure as the links to your cart but if its this one then yes

http://www.asiatees.com/display?Miscellaneous-All-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=51677

Current pinion is a 16t but i'm running a associated 48t spur not the steel 50t

Bought it!

Bad influence ...

Now about the combo...wpsc8 or quicrun 150A?http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-xerun-wp-150a-sd-bl-esc-1-8-black/rc-car-products/378610

Looks nice.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm not really up to calculate gearing, I don't know where to begin!

I'll be using the stock spur so I'm guessing 12T?

Edited by Bigjimknickers

If your just running a 4s with no intention of going to a 5s or 6s later then a 80a esc and a 2000kv motor running a 15t pinion will be fine together speed would be around 35mph which for bashing is OK 

I went with the 150a just because i went with the extra long motor can and wasn't sure if i would at a later date go 6s 

If your just running a 4s with no intention of going to a 5s or 6s later then a 80a esc and a 2000kv motor running a 15t pinion will be fine together speed would be around 35mph which for bashing is OK 

I went with the 150a just because i went with the extra long motor can and wasn't sure if i would at a later date go 6s

I'll probably run everything from 4s to 6s like my savage flux, so it's probably best to allow for 6s, only trouble I'll have is the battery tray, my savage flux still has an old 2000kv 4274 can in it & I run 5s all the time in that so I'll go for a 2000kv motor I think.

It should give me lower amp draw so in theory it should run cooler and give longer run times but I haven't looked into it fully yet

I did try 6s on my current set up just dropped the gearing down to cope with the extra volts, but it's too quick for what I want and tends to wheelie more but then again this motor is a beast for torque so that may be the reason ? .

I'm happy enough on 4s for now !