• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobbyking Sabretooth Truggy 1/8

I have been hovering over the ADD TO CART button.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=53796

It looks a quite impressive piece of kit for the money.

Reading around on other forums, it seems to be well recieved?

Is it worth the gamble, as i am wanting a winter project???

I watched that video already, and i liked what he said as well.

Spares availability seems to be on BACK ORDER for some parts. But the pricing for spares is super cost effective.

I will have to watch how quickly things come back into stock.

I have toyed with the idea of getting one of these for a while .. After some searching and reading between the lines i changed my mind and reason's are as follows 

Spares .. Yes there cheap but are almost always on backorder and as soon as there in there out of stock!! plus there only available in the Global warehouse so if you do have a breakdown and your not stocked up you could be out for a fair old while as turn around on some spares is a month or more  plus shipping times !!

The Truck .. Yes its cheap but like all Hobbyking specials it will lets say need a little love, Main issues seem to be shocks, suspension  pins, towers so not too much but then there is also like many rtr tyres and servo .. The stock motor seems OK but not really ideal in a 1/8th scale and i see most folks opt to swap that out with the esc .. The body is without being to cruel ugly as sin !!

Time i took all this into account i thought, do you know what i could get a secondhand Trophy for that money and have great spare's support and what i think is a better truggy but i have been there done that so thought i'd look for something else instead But this is just my thoughts on it 

• Like 2

I have toyed with the idea of getting one of these for a while .. After some searching and reading between the lines i changed my mind and reason's are as follows 

Spares .. Yes there cheap but are almost always on backorder and as soon as there in there out of stock!! plus there only available in the Global warehouse so if you do have a breakdown and your not stocked up you could be out for a fair old while as turn around on some spares is a month or more  plus shipping times !!

The Truck .. Yes its cheap but like all Hobbyking specials it will lets say need a little love, Main issues seem to be shocks, suspension  pins, towers so not too much but then there is also like many rtr tyres and servo .. The stock motor seems OK but not really ideal in a 1/8th scale and i see most folks opt to swap that out with the esc .. The body is without being to cruel ugly as sin !!

Time i took all this into account i thought, do you know what i could get a secondhand Trophy for that money and have great spare's support and what i think is a better truggy but i have been there done that so thought i'd look for something else instead But this is just my thoughts on it 

good points,

I was also looking at it from i have bought a brand new RC, rather than used again.

There is nothing wrong with used of course, my Revo was used and i loved the challange of stripping and rebuilding and making it mine.

• Like 1

Yep some parts are interchangeable but like this that has the same short full of parts support .

If the UK warehouse had of carried spares I dare say I would have bought one. There not a lot of money and I think if you don't go mad with them then they should be fine ..

Looks to be a great bit of kit... if it was me I would be tempted to get the car and at the same time order a load of spares (focusing on bits which we know can go wrong) even then you will have what seems to be a great bit of kit for about

• 1 month later...

It look good out the box.

First job is to check all screws, and threadlock as required.

Refill shocks with new fluid. I will try 50wt, as that is all i have got.

Find my way into the diffs, and put diff fluid in, rather than the grease that they are assembled with.

It look good out the box.

First job is to check all screws, and threadlock as required.

Refill shocks with new fluid. I will try 50wt, as that is all i have got.

Find my way into the diffs, and put diff fluid in, rather than the grease that they are assembled with.

Your good...

I'd have had it out & bashin it up an down my road by now!

Very cool mate, i look forward to reading the story of this ive wanted hk cars but never had enough info on them. Basher seems like a good brand tho probably the best brand hk have now.