• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC Noob - Starter Questions

markr

Hi All,

I am looking to get into RC cars for a bit of bashing, fields and country lanes etc.

But as with most things i am finding more questions then answers!.

I am looking to buy electric/brushless (purely based on noise) - but what sort of running time do you get...(can of worms i know)

I find myself being drawn to the RTR TROPHY BUGGY FLUX W/ 2.4GHz, but again as a newbie would this be an overkill?would i be better starting off with something a little cheaper ? but dont want to be disaspointed with the lack of performance from a cheaper / budget car).

any suggestions are welcome..... might even stop me going around in circles.

Many thanks

Mark

Edited by markr

I have never had 1/8th scale but I'am getting into it,I had an E-Maxx with a Hue 1515 1y and ran it on 14.8 and it would around 12 minute runs times at least with a 5000Mah Lipo and I think a bit longer.

I would get 5000Mah to 6500Mah Lipo's if you can,the SMC Lipo's are supposed to be really good for the money and the same with Magnum's.

I would think you should get 15 to 16 Minutes out of 6500Mah if not longer.

Keep in mind I'm only guessing and I have ben in the Hobby for 20 years plus and I'm not bad at guessing these thing's but I can not say 100% for sure,I do think however if you got something around 5400Mah to 6500Mah you'll be happy,just make sure to see if the pack will fit the Car most packs have their size listed online in MM's.

Edited by wade7575

I have the buggy flux and its great for starting in 1/8th scale. Its quite durable aswel, not the most durable but perfectly fine for what you would be doing. I take mine to bmx tracks and the like, and always comes back in one piece. There are a few weak spots but its the same with every RC. If something does break, its a HPI and there are many spares available along with a host of hop up options. Another RTR to try is the Hobao Hyper sse, its the same price as the Trophy and some would say even more durable, also has great part support aswel. If you want spend even more you could get a higher end kit and build it yourself, but also pay for electrics aswel.

Take a look at the hyper series there much tougher than hpi truggies and buggies in my experience, the 7 are also dirt cheap and usually come with 2.4ghz radio gear and a nice sized .21 or .28 sized engine to choose from, if you have the extra take a look at the hyper 8's and cage buggy etc, other very tough, bulletproof buggies that have monster strength, easy layout and are fast round the track.