• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Top Speeds

joeylcfc

I remember waking up on the way back from Lizard for the eclipse and noticed we were doing 143 in my mates heavily modified Cav Calibre. Went back to sleep.

120 pillion on a fireblade wearing shorts, t-shirt and carrying a full can of petrol. We were only going the garage 2 miles away, little did I know the plate was actually borrowed from someone else's bike and he really didn't want to be stopped by the rozzers that clocked on when we were coming back. Possibly the scariest experience ever and I've done solo skydives/bungees etc.

I also know the top speeds of all the cars I've owned, one way or another. My tip, if you're gonna use a tracking app on your phone, be sure everything gets erased!!!

Ragged a few RD350's back in my mis-spent youth, scariest speedy time would be clocking 45 down the back straight of Wrangaton banger track in a mighty Dolomite, heavily rutted dirt track and turn 3 banking was designed specially for following in and jacking trains! Brown overalls time!

• 2 weeks later...

I have stuck to all mandatory speed limits as according to Highway Law...I have never driven or been in cars standard or otherwise modified on public highways to max 150ish mph or participated in other forms of street racing and generally messing about in a Fast & Furious type manner in my younger days....Mr Officer sir...honest

PS Ride it, like ya stole it...

On a more serious note.......

I have lost 2 fiends and a work colleagues on bikes, and lost 1 friend in car accidents doing things they shouldn't on roads and several in bad accidents involving cars on roofs and places and positions they shouldn't be in including myself on more than one occation...

One of my Ex's friends hit a hump back bridge too fast a piled in to a queue of cars waiting at temp traffic lights, she lost three friends that day and she (the driver)  was severely injured along with injuries in three other cars she came down on too....

You always think I wouldn't be you......but it not you, but the others involved...

Thankfully I have grown up since and tend to be a more considerate driver....one time I would have classed its as fun but nowadays but some harsh lessons have shown me otherwise. If my kids  get in car with someone like I was I would take that persons head off their shoulders.

All I can say is keep it on the track...not on the roads..

Edited by jp79er
  • Like 3

Well said.

It is easy to get 'the red mist'.

I do concede in the past that I have touched an indicated 130 in my then car, 28 years ago, a 5-speed 2.8i Capri (Janspeed manifolds and exhaust the only mods) and similarly in my modded 205 GTi 1.9 some 5 years later.

A few years later I was reminded by a then girlfriend when over in Spain that I was over the 130 km/h speed limit on the Spanish autovia in a Jag I had, by 100 km/h ... oops ...

Nowadays I keep much closer to the limits, and use the cruise control, especially in towns - very useful.

It's not really much fun on country lanes any more - too much traffic, and too much grip up to .... speeds.

'Tis fun, where visibility and conditions permit not slowing too much for corners 'though!

Nowadays with house, family, mortgage, etc., I can't even consider extra costs, so definitely a good boy!!

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

173mph in a highly modded astra turbo on the autobahn, A2 between junction 34 and 35 (I think) Gutersloh and the next one down. Was 34mile round trip, used just over half a tank of fuel which is approx 26 litres.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Got the video somewhere ;)

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

When i was young and very stupid,  I had a citreon AX GT with very poor brakes.  I managed hit 140mph on big downhill "motorway 2" toward london, (tacho needle was in redline zone at 5th).  car shook itself to pieces then it went very smooth as i think it flying in air instead on the road at that point.   the car was knackered next day, i think i blew headgasket.

173mph in a highly modded astra turbo on the autobahn, A2 between junction 34 and 35 (I think) Gutersloh and the next one down. Was 34mile round trip, used just over half a tank of fuel which is approx 26 litres.

I'm pretty sure that was a favoured run of my mates when he was stationed in Gutersloh.

111 in a '90 1.3 Micra, could have had more but it was shaking so much it scared me.

115 in an '87 1.3 Astra four speed.

139 in an 89 8v Mk2 Golf GTI

130 in a diesel Leon

155 in a Mk5 Golf GTTDI rental

And been a passenger in a Lamborghini Diablo at just shy of 200

Just under 2.5x national motorway speed limit driving a subaru impreza wrx sti with decat and 4 inch pipe upgraded ecu road slicks and tuned on a rolling road

had more to give i was only in 5th it jad a 6 speed mod

Bike give up i was chasing so i slowed back down to 19

Had passed my test 1 year ago to the day of this incident

Edited by jordan_bench10

It had all been done mate lol the 6th gear was more of a cruise gear tbh rarely used

Previous owner included 20k worth of receipt yet he still had the standard exhaust i couldnt get my head around that as he could of freed up a lot more power by removed standard doing a decat and bb conversion