• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Yet another lipo fire, heed the warning!

Tug

How does that happen, what causes it?

Not sure, it really shouldn't happen at all, not to healthy cells.

Trouble is, you can't know what's occurring inside a pack unless it starts to swell. Then it's "duck and cover"!

My mrs is thinking the same lol

Rob

also told me boy.....he's ten...and showed him the vid.....and said from now on lipos r not to b left in the cars...NEVER!!!....or left unattended whilst charging. ....as he can use both my overlanders to do his battery's. ...I'm always around when he does but will b paying more attention from now on for sure!! Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

Hmmm, I seldom charge attended, never in a bag, always indoors on a kitchen worktop offcut bench, and keep them all in bags in the house...

Lipo bunker in new man cave, fireproof, with sand perhaps.... :)

yeah this was my charge routine pretty much.....both chargers on the side by the sink....and sum times a parallel charge board doin 2 or 4 battery at once on one of me chargers. ....I'd wonder in an out checking now in again untill the alarms go off. ... ....

10mins is a massive amount of time for a fire.

It would have engulfed the shed in less than a minute, the other 9 mins would have seen it almost liquify.

We do a talk every year for new employees on how fast fires take hold.

Theres a bit in it where we show them a group of people who were invited to a try a new ice cream. They werent, the fire alarm goes off instead.

It wasnt until someone put fake smoke almost 7mins in that one person gets up to leave. Its 20mins before the rest decide to follow as a group.

Fires take hold fast, so even with all that flammable stuff in there im not surprised it burned as hard as it did.

And yeah 10mins is a massive amount of time when this kind of scenario is involved.

10mins is a massive amount of time for a fire.

It would have engulfed the shed in less than a minute, the other 9 mins would have seen it almost liquify.

We do a talk every year for new employees on how fast fires take hold.

Theres a bit in it where we show them a group of people who were invited to a try a new ice cream. They werent, the fire alarm goes off instead.

It wasnt until someone put fake smoke almost 7mins in that one person gets up to leave. Its 20mins before the rest decide to follow as a group.

Fires take hold fast, so even with all that flammable stuff in there im not surprised it burned as hard as it did.

And yeah 10mins is a massive amount of time when this kind of scenario is involved.

is that like the TV program.  they have a waiting room full of actors  and one member of the public .  then the fire alarm goes off then smoke starts to pour in the room and all because the actors are still sitting down doing nothing the other person sits there as well.   lol

This is an interesting read ...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/182219-understanding-lipo-fires-101-a.html

I know the 'rules' ... but this explains a lot more about how things fail and why a battery does what it does.

It's easy to get paranoid about LiPo batteries, and over-react. If you understand the hazards and manage them properly, there is really no issue. The original video serves as a clear and start warning of the results of NOT following the simple safety rules.

A healthy properly managed pack won't just ignite for no reason.

• Like 1