• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help please for a 'novice' with 2 questions!

dagswe21

Hello everyone.

Following previous, immensely helpful advice, I would like to tap into the forums' knowledge, as I have two questions, one of which at least, I am guessing will be easy . The other, I'm not so sure about! So I will start with the easy one:

I spent a fair whack on a Max Amps LiPo cell recently, for my HPI Flux Vorza. It goes like a rocket! But... I am planning on having some times, of say a few days or weeks, when I won't be using it. My question: in what 'state' should I conserve my LiPo when not in use, so as not to damage it and keep it as good as possible? Should I run it to the ground or store it full or half charged? If I should run it to the ground, what's the best way to ensure it is "flat" ?? THANK YOU!!

Now the second, trickier one....

I have bought a clear, new body for said HPI Flux Vorza, and have done my own... Erm.... Snazzy... Paint job (ok, so I need more practice!!). BUT I cannot find, for love nor money, a new clear, rear wing! One that is even, say, plain black with no decals would be fine. I have searched everywhere!! PLEASE can someone point me in the right direction?? The one that came with it, black with orange decals, looks a mess with my grey and pale blue body.

Thank you in advance, great people, and happy R/C - ing!!!

Thank you!

Set ur charger to storage charge, should be at 3.82 v per cell to store - there is a lipo guide somewhere (suicide Neil has it linked in his sig)

you will struggle to find a clear 1/8 wing m8, least I've never seen one! Look on Modelsport (other sites are available lol) they have plenty of 1:8 wings to choose from, either a vorza specific or one with no holes so you can get a good fit (not all wings have the Same hole spacings)

Hope this helps some :-)

Edited by lilllad83

Lipo is easy answer - they shouldn't be left either fully charged (4.2v / c) or discharged (3v / c) - if your charger doesn't have a setting for storage charge then charge fully and run it in your model for a few minutes, remove and store safely.

an esc low voltage cut out.

this will usually engage when the battery cells in the lipo reach a pre determined voltage

its usually between 3.5v and 3.8v per cell. 

BUT please DO NOT use your esc to judge when your battery is low on volts.

your esc is a guesstimate voltage not a true reading and sometimes an esc can be way off this voltage

because of calibration used to detect the voltage. 

MOST half decent multi chargers will have a number of settings and the one you require finding is 

STORAGE CHARGE, your battery charger has better voltage calibration and will charge/discharge your battery safely to

the correct storage voltage,
SOME if not MOST all cheap battery chargers do not come with a storage mode, they expect you to

recharge battery and go straight back out and in this world we know it is not true..

so to recap, esc LVC is a warning sign not a true state of battery.

a good charger will be have a storage charge mode and charge/discharge your battery to a safe

storage voltage.

as for rear wings, yeah sadly they tend to come in thick'ish abs flexi plastic, not sure on your body size ( 1/10th - 1/5th etc etc)

but maybe look a truggy rear wings these tend to come in both black and white plastics

I don't entirely agree, some ESCs are better than others. All my HW ESCs are poorly calibrated and as such are set to various voltages to achieve a perfect 3.4 volt cut-off. However, all my Castle ESCs and all my MGM ESCs are perfectly calibrated and always cut at the right voltage.

The thing to remember is that the ESC is only seeing a total pack voltage, not individual cell voltages. This can cause deep-discharges if the cells are falling out of balance, which they do once they drop to 3.4 volts.

IF IN DOUBT, USE AN ALARM.

There are, apparently, some ESCs that'll monitor individual cells, but I've no experience of these.

if you are not using the battery for a few days charge it fully, then run it in your vehicle for a few mins and store in a lipo safe bag( just incase anything does happen) if however for a few weeks a decent charger(CoreRc UAC-50 is a good one) will have storage mode. When you are ready to use your lipo fully charge it and have some fun:)

here we go 

a cheap but very useful battery warning alarm, and BOY are these LOUD.

i myself purchased 4 of these badboys and i can vouch they work well. 

they tell you total voltage then cycle through each cells voltage, you can set the alarm to go of when you want.

most of us set them for between 3.5 and 3.8v , these alarms can be used with lipos upto 8s so very handy for the modeler.

price wise they a good buy for safety of mind , battery and model. 

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-1S-8S-Li-po-Battery-Voltage-Tester-Checker-Indicator-Monitor,Buzzer-Alarm-p-26049.html