• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

T-maxx problem

P.Salter

Hi, I'm new to nitro I've always had electric and I brought a traxxas t-maxx 3.3 at a very good price second hand and I'm having a problem getting it started.

when I first got it I started it worked then I pulled the thottle and the engine cut out, now when I try and start it the pull start is very hard to pull and sometimes I can't pull it at all! I've been told to be careful as it's a very powerful race engine.

So have I ruined the engine or is it just the pull start or something els?

Thanks.

Take out the glow plug and spin over the engine with the plug out while holding the truck upside down sound like its flooded. Dry off the glowplug and try again. The 3.3 is a pig of a motor if its out of tune, when you grt it right it is a bit of an animal.

Yeah they are pigs keep at it tho but I've been here a few times and kept at it until the thing snapped and I replaced.

I think you might want to check the tune too if it keeps flooding or spitting fuel out the pipe.

I think the lsn is 2 turns out from closed and the Hsn is 2.5t out from closed. But verify them before tweaking.

• 7 months later...

Yeah the glow plugs fine I've even tried a new one just to make sure. Could it be the glow starter? As it came with the truck second hand. Maybe it's not getting hot enough. Will be ordering a new one soon.

The traxxas starter was/is renound for loosing the feed to the blue glow plug wire. I used a cheap separate glow stick, pulled the blue wire and just used the starter bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I may of found the problem. So I've taken the engine apart to clean and it all seems fine then I came to the carburetor, I took it apart to clean and I unscrewed the two screws (I'm not sure what there for) and one of them practically just fell out and I went to put it all back together and I could not screw that screw back in so I looked at the thread and well there isn't one! Could this be the problem?

I'm thinking because it was lose, could be letting to much air into the engine?

Mine had the same issue. Those carburateors are just plastic and if you keep adjusting the LSN (Low Speed Needle) then it just gets loose and you cant screw it back cause it keeps moving and getting out. You can try something like black silicone but only a little bit on the screw and screw it back till its flush with the carb body and hold it for like 2-3 mins. If youve got luck that carbs gonna last a bit more but Im not givin it too much hope :/. Best is to just order a new carb if the engine is in good condition. If the engine is worn (ran more then 10-12 gallons of fuel) then you might get better if you just buy a new engine. I will get a new engine in my Revo this month. Ofna JL28MAX is the name of it. I didnt find any reviews of it, only some videos but people say that it aint that bad so I hope it will last!

• 2 months later...

https://vimeo.com/135871940

Sorry it's been a while. So I've finally got her started but I now have this problem. The steering servos twitching, at first I thought it was the servo but the throttle is the same and sometimes gets stuck on full throttle. So is there a chance that both servos has had it or could it be a dodgy receiver? (The receiver is brand new I brought it about a week ago)

Thanks.

Make sure the batteries - Tx and Rx - are fully charged.

Try re-binding the receiver.

Check all connections are good, connectors properly inserted into the Rx and no severed / broken wires.

Try again - see how it is.

Al.