• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Received FTX Carnage and think car is on drugs.

turtletom100

So I received the ftx carnage brushed today opened the box and noticed the car shell had being stickered up for me (though they have used brushless stickers) so I thought maybe this has being tested battery was in the correct place just needed connecting. So I went ahead connected the battery and just lightly pulled the accelerator as it says the motor needs bedding in POW the car flew into my sofa in front room.

Grabbed it put it back in middle of room went backwards slowly then forwards slowly then POW again straight into the sofa.

I have read that I might need to sit the servo up but not 100% sure how this is done. Can someone explain or offer any other suggestions as to why it is doing this?

The only other suggestion I have is i may have being a bit close with the controller.

Also if you hold the car and go back and forth it is fine it is only when it is actually on a surface it seems to want to jolt. I am scared to take it outside and try just in case it don't stop and I don't want to be running after it. Lol

Did you buy it new?

Mine behaved the same as this when i bought it. Apparently it's the radio/receiver and it's a common fault.

Mine was bought from Modelsport. I sent them an email and they sent out a replacement set. No problems since.

HTH

Dave

Edited by david-6

Yep was bought new from bmmracing from new and funny you say that because I rung bmmracing and that was first thing they said but before hand to make sure battery has full charge and go to a playing field where there's loads of space as apparently mobile phones and many other things around the house run on 2.4ghz (i dont see how personally as have tested other cars inside and it being fine) I will let it charge fully and then see if it does it tonight or in morning. But i think you hit the nail on the head pal.

I don't see how mobile phones would affect the signal. I know wireless routers run on 2.4ghz, but mine normally overrides the strength of the router.

This is the system Modelsport sent as a replacement:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-cr2s-v2-2-channel-2.4ghzradio-control-system/rc-car-products/376271

Can't fault it. Nice bit of kit for the price.

Hope you get it sorted!

Dave

Well I will see what it does in a bit it is currently charging and has being since I replied to your message. But using the stock charger there is no knowing when it is fully charged.

Hopefully it gets sorted was looking forward to a little play

Ninjagaiden - there are instructions but firstly seems a bit confusing and secondly it makes the noise when I turn the car then remote on so would imagine that would be fine? If you know how to set this up please let us know ad I would be interested and will be willing to give it a go

Ok I will do I think I have tried this but will do it again but just waiting for battery. Is there any ideas as to when the battery will be charged using the stock charger as there's no led or nothing to say when it is fully charged. I have felt the battery and the battery isn't warm but the charger is quite warm.

Might also help if you had the car on a block of wood or something similar to keep the wheels off the ground while your tinkering?

At least then you have both hands free.....

KingPin

Kingpin - if I hold the car or put it on a surface where the wheels sit freely it works fine forwards and back but there is no resistance so I would imagine it would. As soon as it goes on the floor (haven't being outside yet) it sometimes goes fine other times goes nuts I can't really explain it.

If it's an auto set up ESC it may see your part throttle as full speed on start up.

I had one, cannot remember what make, that did this. The way round if was to:

1. Power on the controller.

2. Car off the floor and switch on.

3. Wait a few seconds then squeeze the throttle for full power then let go.

4. Give it a quick stab at reverse.

5. Pop the car on the floor and try it out.

6. Rag the car to death.

7. Pick up the various pieces, go home and rebuild.

Works for me.

Is your Carnage the earlier model, or the later "waterproof" type?

The newer models include an ESC you can re-calibrate a lot easier.

(Look for a little switch)

KingPin

Kingpin it is the newer model with the waterproof electronics. Can I add a photo to these posts as I have found a switch I think but want to double check.

Tonysmini I would agree but sometimes it works and other times it shoots off. I would imagine that if it was seeing it as full throttle it would do it continuously?

Also where it is new it says in the book not to go full throttle and to drive it slower to allow the motor brushes to bed in so it is safe doing this? I am a bit of a newbie with the electric cars.

I have re programmed esc and also tried with a fully charged battery but still seems to do it though not as often I have spoke to the people I bought from and they are sending out and receiver and transmitter free of charge so will try it tommorow and see if it is any better. A bit off that topic but can I use stock charger to charge an uprated battery? Only issue I see is where it is a 3500mah battery it will take about 10 hours to fully charge. (What happens if you take off charge before they are fully charged?)

battery only part charged is not good idea

they run a lot less shorter time and it can damage the battery.

a 3500mah battery on a fast charge will need 3.5amps and will take 1 hour.

its a bit confusing but, 3.5amps is 3500mah, and batterys like lipo the charge rate is the

mah, so a 8000mah battery needs to be charged with 8a, and a 3500mah lipo charged at yes 3.5a ( here in the .5 range we just round the number down so 3.5a comes to 3a and time is extended by 5 mins or so)

battery only part charged is not good idea

they run a lot less shorter time and it can damage the battery.

a 3500mah battery on a fast charge will need 3.5amps and will take 1 hour.

its a bit confusing but, 3.5amps is 3500mah, and batterys like lipo the charge rate is the

mah, so a 8000mah battery needs to be charged with 8a, and a 3500mah lipo charged at yes 3.5a ( here in the .5 range we just round the number down so 3.5a comes to 3a and time is extended by 5 mins or so)

Not quite true that, you could charge an 8000mah lipo at 4amps it would just take longer.

So basically can charge the lipos with any charger as long as the amp output is the same lower? so you couldn't charge a 6000mah with an 8 amp charger but could charge an 8000mah battery with a 6 amp charger?

You need to use a Lipo charger, preferably a balance charger which can monitor voltage of eachcell in a pack.

Charger rate for most lipos is 1c i.e. charge at 1 x ah capacity of the battery. 2200Mah 1c battery = 2.2A, 650Mah 1c battery - 0.65A and so on.

Decent lipos let you charge at over 1c, if you need packs charging between heats at a race.

Do have a look at the stickied topics at the beginning of this forum section

I have read that page and seem to be getting the understnading from it but wanted to know about using a 2c lipo battery (as I think 3 might to powerful though it would work like but i will end up doughnuting and wheelying and this will strip the gears), with the ftx carnage which will be converted to brushless.

Capri sun has recommended me a charger that ticks all the correct boxes - Overlander RC6-VSP 80 watt 7A output AC/DC charger with fan.

I think that the main things have being answered which were

-a charger that would be suitable

-using a 2c lipo battery in the ftx

one thing I am a bit confused about can I use brushless motor with a nimh battery? I have currently got a 3500mah nimh but being looking at higher. just to see me through for time being.

Yes, just check the technical information when looking for a brushless Motor and ESC combo. Most say they accept 6-8 cell NiMH.

I've been running both of my RC's on 4700mah and 5000mah NiMH for a few years now. I know the advantages to LiPo, but I'm happy with these.

HTH

Dave

Yes, just check the technical information when looking for a brushless Motor and ESC combo. Most say they accept 6-8 cell NiMH. I've been running both of my RC's on 4700mah and 5000mah NiMH for a few years now. I know the advantages to LiPo, but I'm happy with these. HTHDave

Cheers dave well for time being I'm going to buy the brushless motor I say about above and get that fitted that will make the car quicker then in due course will look to go lipo. Has anyone experienced that motor I listed above?

So I received the ftx carnage brushed today opened the box and noticed the car shell had being stickered up for me (though they have used brushless stickers) so I thought maybe this has being tested battery was in the correct place just needed connecting. So I went ahead connected the battery and just lightly pulled the accelerator as it says the motor needs bedding in POW the car flew into my sofa in front room.

Grabbed it put it back in middle of room went backwards slowly then forwards slowly then POW again straight into the sofa.

I have read that I might need to sit the servo up but not 100% sure how this is done. Can someone explain or offer any other suggestions as to why it is doing this?

The only other suggestion I have is i may have being a bit close with the controller.

Also if you hold the car and go back and forth it is fine it is only when it is actually on a surface it seems to want to jolt. I am scared to take it outside and try just in case it don't stop and I don't want to be running after it. Lol

. That is how my carnage is. Just run it outside. It will be fine. Trust me.

Just go for it. Trust me. It is fast.