• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's Axial SCX10 D90.

Bit of a weird one, just had it outside to take some photos and test the articulation for the tyres rubbing, very happy with how it articulates, more than I was expecting to be honest, just pottering round the garden and all of a sudden it went full throttle, then full brake, then full throttle again straight into the wall :(

run over to get it, picked it up off the ground and pressed the throttle while it was in mid-air, absolutely fine, put it back down and off it went into a fence this time :lol:

Little bit confusing, I've double checked everything, all connections are good, was running great beforehand.

Anyway, while I scratch my head wondering about this, here's some of the pictures I took.

IMG_4165_zpsf9d2f314.jpg

IMG_4166_zpsd53aa5c6.jpg

IMG_4167_zps857248b4.jpg

IMG_4168_zps56d5e74a.jpg

IMG_4169_zps5baa5f62.jpg

IMG_4170_zpsf745327e.jpg

IMG_4171_zps7e0d94a5.jpg

IMG_4172_zpsf11e169b.jpg

Probably of no use but when you wired up your BEC you did remove the red wire from the esc going into the Rx ?? .. If not it could have damaged the esc or BEC which might be causing the glitch?? I'd remove the electrics and start over try another esc if you have one same as motor etc but leave out the bec that way it will tell you what's not playing ball .. And try using a glitch buster you can make them for like a pound !!

Probably of no use but when you wired up your BEC you did remove the red wire from the esc going into the Rx ?? .. If not it could have damaged the esc or BEC which might be causing the glitch?? I'd remove the electrics and start over try another esc if you have one same as motor etc but leave out the bec that way it will tell you what's not playing ball .. And try using a glitch buster you can make them for like a pound !!

I've narrowed the problem down to the ESC now anyway, it's definitely that.

Ironic isn't it, a $150 combo getting left for dead by a HobbyKing $10 ESC.

I've narrowed the problem down to the ESC now anyway, it's definitely that.

Ironic isn't it, a $150 combo getting left for dead by a HobbyKing $10 ESC.

Just goes to show sometimes you get what you pay for !! I thought you said thou you where using top quality gear a crappy $10 esc is hardly going to be much cop, let's be honest it works out to around

Sorry fella but the way it was wrote it sounded like you where saying thee cheap hobbyking esc was dead or at least that's who I read it !.

This Holmes stuff isn't it all slightly modified by them ?? Did you ever try a glitch buster? Lastly do these come with the wires connected as isn't there a diode or something on the motor wire connectors ?? Perhaps that's at fault ?

It'd be going back and them covering the cost if it was faulty out the box !!

X-CAR 45A brushed right?

I've got 5 of them in service at the moment, the only downside I've found is the under specced inductor in the switching BEC, it tends to get a wee bit hot. But if you use an external BEC that's a non issue. I'm using the X-CAR in preference to far more expensive ESCs when running high turn motors in scalers. Love em!

Be nice if they were waterproof though...

Sorry fella but the way it was wrote it sounded like you where saying thee cheap hobbyking esc was dead or at least that's who I read it !.

This Holmes stuff isn't it all slightly modified by them ?? Did you ever try a glitch buster? Lastly do these come with the wires connected as isn't there a diode or something on the motor wire connectors ?? Perhaps that's at fault ?

It'd be going back and them covering the cost if it was faulty out the box !!

I'm not sure if it's modified, AJ did tell me they run them in for you though, so it's nothing that I've done in terms of using it incorrectly.

From the very first time it was plugged in the motor was glitching back and forward when steering (from my original topic) so yeah, it's faulty from the box.

It just worked for a few minutes in between, which is a bit of a mystery.

It came with no connectors, I've put bullets on it, I did also try reversing the connections but that didn't work lol.

I've E-Mailed HH, I'm just hoping to get a refund to be honest and I'll continue using these cheapo ones and just WP them and do it that way.

Not as fast but I could just get some big pinions.

I wanted a bit more wheelspeed while retaining the torque, so wanted something for easy 3s running.

Glad I didn't buy 4 more 3s LiPos today.

X-CAR 45A brushed right?

I've got 5 of them in service at the moment, the only downside I've found is the under specced inductor in the switching BEC, it tends to get a wee bit hot. But if you use an external BEC that's a non issue. I'm using the X-CAR in preference to far more expensive ESCs when running high turn motors in scalers. Love em!

Be nice if they were waterproof though...

Yep the exact one, I'm running two (well was) and both have been perfect.

I've not even noticed mine getting hot at all to be honest.

My only problem is the drag brake is a little harsh, but aside from that, you wouldn't know it was a $10 ESC frankly.

sorry to hear about brxl esc pal. never good. get them an email fired off and see what they say , its gonna be an expensive paper weight otherwise

I have E-Mailed them fella, because being completely honest, it DID glitch straight from the box, then it had a few minutes of being smooth, now it's just gone batcrap crazy lol.

I've done some more reading around and apparently a few have had faulty ones, they seem a little bit hit and miss.

Also a friend of mine Tim bought two, one for him, one for his friend, annd his friends was exactly the same as mine is lol.

So I'm still just contemplating what to do RE; Quitting the hobby or give it one last go and fire yet more money at it.

Well yesterday I thought out of interest I would try the truck out on the old combo again just to see what's happening... Run fine for 10-15 minutes and again went batcrap crazy?! As far as I can work out, that means it HAS to be the transmitter?

I also put the DX8 on it and ran it for a good 30+ minutes without a single glitch.

I've also bench run it on the HH combo now with the DX8 and no glitching at all?!

I've not run it around yet so haven't fully tested it with the DX8, but it seems promising.

Unfortunately I ripped a tyre yesterday, so can't give it a proper test today on the HH combo :( which is rather sucky.

I've since ordered a new FS tx/rx also, then if it is the tx that's at fault, I'll try this new one just to see what happens.

Just thankful it didn't go when I was out with the 8ight-Te, that would have been expensive and potentially paintful lol.

Also did a few bits to the D90 last night...

IMG_4179_zps0d4ea7be.png

Decided as I'm bored waiting for ParcelForce to pick this 8x8 up I'd try my hand at a trailer... Not too sure how it will turn out, but I figured make the most important bit first, the arches.

I want them to ideally look similar to the ones on the D90, but I can't imagine they will after I've ruined them lol.

Anyway here's the start.

IMG_4183_zps40f289ce.jpg

IMG_4184_zpse9965a7c.jpg

Something like that would be good but I've not got any lol, as long as they resemble the same kind of shape, that's fine :)

I just don't have any of the arches, I've currently got some filler drying over those arches I'm working on anyway, if it doesn't work it's no biggie, if it does, then it's a big win lol.