• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 Hex removal- the pin is stuck!

vibrating_cake

As the title suggests, I'm having trouble removing the hexes from my hyper 7, the problem is the pin that goes through the hex is stuck in completely on 3/4 of the hubs. One hub i can get the pin out, to remove the hex and its thread, but the other 3 just won't budge!
Any ideas on this?

I'm going to try soaking them in wd-40 overnight but other than that i'm stuck, i've tried driving a small (broken) screwdriver into the holes to push the pins out that way, but because it spins you can't really get a good shove on them, even when one person holds the hex and the other whacks the driver.

It's a minor detail, but one of my wheel bearings is squeeking so i'd like to inspect it and re-grease it but i can't with the hexes stuck on :(.

Daft question, but have you removed the locking screw that goes down the centre of the driveshaft? Not sure if this is standard, but they're on my Hyper 7. Needs a 5mm hex IIRC.

Only option really is to stick them in a vice (or locking pliers), and tap them out with a screw driver/drill bit and a hammer.

I had this too. If they are the stock silver hexes, I had to wd40 and knock them out with a small screw driver. Was a PITA. They don't have locking screws on the stock ones, but the hexes are pretty soft, and it looks like the pin munches away at the insides.

I got my Hyper 7 as a second hand roller with some hop-ups, so not sure what is stock and what isn't. Mine has the locking screws, and it threw me the first time I had to take them off, that's why I mentioned it.

I got my Hyper 7 as a second hand roller with some hop-ups, so not sure what is stock and what isn't. Mine has the locking screws, and it threw me the first time I had to take them off, that's why I mentioned it.

I made that mistake some time ago. Fought for ages with the pin only to realise there was an unseen grub screw also in the fight.

I made that mistake some time ago. Fought for ages with the pin only to realise there was an unseen grub screw also in the fight.

Can honestly say I never done that before......... :) .........

Dont they all have a grub screw in the end? otherwise how would the pin stay in?

Both my tq's have them in not sure about the other models

Dont they all have a grub screw in the end? otherwise how would the pin stay in?

Held in place by the wheel ;)

A stupid design, IMHO, a simple grub screw makes so much sense.

Normally a decent fit so push in, am sure I remember putting some in horizontal on a 1/10 cos they kept falling out.

On a new item, then the pin should be a snug fit...add a few miles and some wear and tear and yes, that can happen... My ST, in remarkable condition and never used hard, has this exact issue on two of the axles....both rears, as it happens.

Well this thread deviated well. Lol.

I have bones and cups on one axle, i know that much! I might have a look before work today if I get my arse out of bed early enough!.

Also I wouldn't wear a cup playing cricket, I wouldn't play cricket, anyway we said there's no screw if you use a cup, I'd also rather screw, so it's decided. 

• Like 2