• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DX3R Losing Communication, usually at WOT!

Zizzle77

I've recently bought a DX3R plus four 'ORX 3 channel ground' receivers. I've got it all fitted into my Revo 3.3 and it works great. Brand new battery pack in the Rx, fully charged plus healthy batteries in the Tx showing 4.9 volts.

Yesterday I took my Revo out to a local field for a bash, getting it re-tuned etc, about 10 minutes in I noticed I was getting some throttle and steering lag, then it lost communication all together. I switched off the Rx and back on, it connected back up straight away and was fine, until a few minutes later I went WOT then it lost it again, it didn't even go into failsafe mode, thankfully the throttle return spring allowed it to coast to a stop. I decided to call it a day at that point, thinking the Rx battery much have been low.

So charged Rx battery up this morning and went out again this afternoon, exactly the same issue. If I stick at around 30-50% throttle and cruise round it will be pefectly fine. It seems as soon as I hit WOT it just loses it.

I'm going to try another receiver next, but any suggestions? I don't like the idea of my Revo running away at WOT that's for sure!

check your end points on the throttle servo, just in case its pulling too hard and causing a voltage drop which in turn causes the rx to brown out and then runaway.

Also try another rx and see if the same happens :)

check your end points on the throttle servo, just in case its pulling too hard and causing a voltage drop which in turn causes the rx to brown out and then runaway.

Also try another rx and see if the same happens :)

Thanks, I'll double check the end points, although I am pretty sure I had it set to that it was just away from full reach of the carb so that it didn't try to bend anything.

Edited by Zizzle77
  • Like 1

The problem is you are using cheap receivers. so swapping them about might be well worth a shot, also have you tried fitting a power cap to a spare channel to help level out any power spikes.

I have a DX3R Pro (for the past 2 years at least) and I've never had any problems like that using genuine receivers, at worst I use a power cap (in high strain applications) just to give the rx a bit off a boost.

The problem is you are using cheap receivers. so swapping them about might be well worth a shot, also have you tried fitting a power cap to a spare channel to help level out any power spikes.

I have a DX3R Pro (for the past 2 years at least) and I've never had any problems like that using genuine receivers, at worst I use a power cap (in high strain applications) just to give the rx a bit off a boost.

I've not tried a power cap yet. I'll try another receiver tomorrow, if that's the same I'll look at a power cap. If that doesn't work I'll have to try a better Rx I guess, and hope that fixes it!

I've been reading up on these OrangeRX receivers and it seems to be a common fault on them. Going to pop into town tomorrow and get a capacitor and see if that cures it. If not I'll replace it!