• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A noob needs help! CC01 kit build.

Hi guys

I am gonna come straight out and say it, I am a complete noob to kit building, replica scales, 1/10s and basically most rc related stuff other than my mini zs. I have decided that I want to make a move from my tiny scale zs and build myself something a bit larger!

I have decided to go with a Tamiya cc01 landfreeder kit. I have read all sorts of reviews, watched plenty of videos and gone through a lot of build pages on here to gather as much info as possible. However I need to get all this info in one place so I am going to start this thread and hopefully get everything I need in it.

So like I said im a noob to all this larger scale rc stuff. Things like servos, esc's, motors, controllers, lexan bodys, oil filled shocks etc... So as I am getting the kit version of this model I shall start by asking what I need to get it driving.

1.Which is the best esc and servo I should get?

2.Do I want a Lipo battery? Does my choice of esc make a difference if I want run a lipo battery?

3.What radio gear do I need? does it need to be the same brand as the esc and servo? 

These are probably very basic questions to you guys but I am lost with all the choices and need help!

1. mtronics TIO Rock C esc. Works on nihm and 2-3s lipo. completely waterproof(submergable)

As for servo go for a waterproof high torque servo like a savox SW0231MG. They're more than enough torque and also completely waterproof.

2. Lipos will be more efficient giving you longer run times and more power. But in a crawler you won't be going that fast either and if you go for a nihm they're pretty much resistant to water anyway and a lot cheaper. The above esc will allow you to select between nihm and lipos for which there is a built in cutoff.

3. Radio gear doesn't have to be same brand as any other items on car. Go for something cheap at first simple 2 channel steer wheel radio set and put the receiver in a balloon. Or get a more expensive radio set with more channels for extra functions( lights and winch?) and a waterproof receiver like Spektrum do waterproof 3 channel receivers.

Have a look at the selection of radio sets on modelsprt

Right were do i start lol. Firstly welcome to the forum :D

To begin with,can you answer the following questions please mate:

1) Do you have any current battery chargers,oils,paints that you think you might be able to use for the build?

2) Are you ok for tools,and equipped with anything relevant - Screwdrivers,hex drivers,knife etc etc (the normal stuff)

3) What is your budget to buy all this stuff?

4) Did you buy the CC-01 kit that comes with the stock Tamiya ESC? If so,this will run a suitable motor fine - A replica scale build does generally have a slower motor (35-60t),just to make it that extra real.To be honest,you wouldnt see a freelander running at 100mph in dirt in real life would we! :lol: 

5) Are you ok with spraying the lexan body?

Anyway,moving on from this the CC-01 is very dead simple to build.I've done 2 of these in fresh kit form,and gone through about 4 various RTR models.

Thankfully with Tamiya being awesome ( :D ),their kits and instructions are bang on.Very easy to follow and everything is packaged and easy to find where is each part is. To start with,simply empty each bag into a container and leave the paper tab in the container so you know which packet is which ( A bit of organizing goes a massive way when building kits)

Start the kit as per the instructions and slowly work your way through it.As this is your first kit,my advice would be leave the shocks and whatever generally stock,and then upgrade at a later date should you wish to.

The servo you require can be anything cheap to something more up end.To be honest,the CC-01 front end is pretty light so you wont need a massive 20kg servo to shift the wheels - Something basic and as cheap as this would run it perfectly fine.However,as it's going to be a new build,it would be worth splashing out a little extra and going for something like the Savox mentioned above! :) It'll be a good investment for the future and something you can use on another model...

If you purchased the kit without an ESC,you can get the above one again mentioned by rctech123 - Brillant ESC designed for crawling and what not.If i remember correctly it's around

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick responses!

Ok to answer your questions

1. I have an imax b6ac charger, a few pots and cans of paint from my previous projects, no hobby grade oils or greases (just stuff for my real car!)

2. I have quite a good set of tools, not specifically for hobby stuff but a decent vaiety of hex wrenchs and screwdrivers and stuff

3. Budget is a tricky question! I haven't bought anything yet but I have been looking around and have found a CC01 kit for

Edited by flashdaniels

1. mtronics TIO Rock C esc. Works on nihm and 2-3s lipo. completely waterproof(submergable)

As for servo go for a waterproof high torque servo like a savox SW0231MG. They're more than enough torque and also completely waterproof.

2. Lipos will be more efficient giving you longer run times and more power. But in a crawler you won't be going that fast either and if you go for a nihm they're pretty much resistant to water anyway and a lot cheaper. The above esc will allow you to select between nihm and lipos for which there is a built in cutoff.

3. Radio gear doesn't have to be same brand as any other items on car. Go for something cheap at first simple 2 channel steer wheel radio set and put the receiver in a balloon. Or get a more expensive radio set with more channels for extra functions( lights and winch?) and a waterproof receiver like Spektrum do waterproof 3 channel receivers.

Have a look at the selection of radio sets on modelsprt

not quite right there fella, but.....

any esc will do, if you plan on wet running then you can either go for something waterproof but for heavens sake steer well clear of the mtroniks crap, go for the hpi sc15wp or even a traxxas xl5 for waterproof or  get a little project box from maplins to stick the esc and receiver in with a little sealant round the lid, if going that way then a tamiya teu-104 or 5 will do the job very well too.

motor wise, swap the kit silver can for something 55t upwards to give a more realistic speed with awesome torque when off roading too.

provided your not going to be running in the sea then lipos run fine submerged in fresh water, i had done it for years with no issues.... but get the biggest that will fit comfortabley, this will give plenty of run times....

finally get some radio gear that will grow with you, no point buying cheapo 2 channel when you plan on using a winch down the line, ideally something like a spektrum dx3c would suit a scale build very well.

anything else give me a shout mate  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I was just trying to help based on my experiences as I used the "Mtroiks crap" for over a year all through winter fully submerged in mud and water and nothing died or failed. And unless I'm mistaken I don't think the hpi or traxxas esc have drag brakes? Could be wrong there though.

traxxas doesn`t your quite right.... the hpi one does though, and also with a decent motor, theres really no need for a drag brake as the motor will drag for you on downhill runs....

i had a mtroniks rock c brand new for a comp and after 5 minutes of glitching and general non response it was thrown in the bin.....never again, replica scale is about smooth throttle curves not on-off etc. might as well use a argos special....

also i have and my son has submerged traxxas xl5 esc`s and still come back for more.....  :thumbsup:

Before you start the build, order a set of rubber sealed bearings from rcbearings.co.uk. Colin does complete sets, just search for CC01 and your there.

Standard tyres are too hard, Fastrax do some 90 or 96mm wheel and tyres that perform pretty well for about a tenner.

There are lots of little mods you can do to make the CC01 drive better.

Ok thanks for all the replys guys, there's lots of good advice in them!

So I have been doing some searching around and I have found some rather good deals and would like to ask you opinions on my choices

1. Kyosho KT201 3ch transmitter + KR200 4ch receiver. I see in the specs for this receiver it only has a voltage range of 4.8v-6.0v, so I guess a lipo is out of the question on this receiver. However I have also been looking at the spectrum SR301 3ch receiver.

Questions..... Is this transmitter any good? Do the transmitter and receiver need to be the same brand? will the kyosho transmitter bind with the spectrum receiver?

2. Traxxas XL-5 ESC.

3. Traxxas 2075 Waterproof digital servo

4. Probably the absima 50t motor mentioned above

So what do you think? Is this a good setup? I want concentrate on the core components to the truck first and then after I have a good set up I will look at things like wheels, bearing and other upgrades.

Ok thanks for all the replys guys, there's lots of good advice in them!

So I have been doing some searching around and I have found some rather good deals and would like to ask you opinions on my choices

1. Kyosho KT201 3ch transmitter + KR200 4ch receiver. I see in the specs for this receiver it only has a voltage range of 4.8v-6.0v, so I guess a lipo is out of the question on this receiver. However I have also been looking at the spectrum SR301 3ch receiver.

Questions..... Is this transmitter any good? Do the transmitter and receiver need to be the same brand? will the kyosho transmitter bind with the spectrum receiver?

2. Traxxas XL-5 ESC.

3. Traxxas 2075 Waterproof digital servo

4. Probably the absima 50t motor mentioned above

So what do you think? Is this a good setup? I want concentrate on the core components to the truck first and then after I have a good set up I will look at things like wheels, bearing and other upgrades.

the rx should be ok i run a flysky system using lipo`s in my scx10 and they never have any problems with them as for the servo i would go metal geared as platic ones like the 2075 can and will break gears inside though you can buy spare gears but its not really worth the hassle of having to change them over

Yeah go with metal gears but as you say upgrade later just get the car built right first and have fun thats what matters

Everyone loves the cc01 and i love the car personally it started my love of scalers as i owned one before my honcho

The cc01 is very capable when built correctly and an essential upgrade is wheels and also bearings will be needed before you start the build as a rebuild can be very time consuming and boring.

If you want,add me as a friend on this and dont ever fear to ask me anything!!! We will all help you as you will fall in love with scalers and rc's :-):-):-)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am currently on the hunt for all my components at the best prices and then I will pull the trigger and get it all bought. One quick question I have though is that I have found a seller on ebay that sells parts from dismantled rtrs. The parts are listed as new but don't come with any original packaging or manuals. Has anyone bought parts from someone like this? I guess the guy buys rtrs and then take them apart and sells them as parts. should be ok right?

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am currently on the hunt for all my components at the best prices and then I will pull the trigger and get it all bought. One quick question I have though is that I have found a seller on ebay that sells parts from dismantled rtrs. The parts are listed as new but don't come with any original packaging or manuals. Has anyone bought parts from someone like this? I guess the guy buys rtrs and then take them apart and sells them as parts. should be ok right?

Yup 99% of the kits that are split never come with manuals or laballed packing.Mostly likely be in a clear plastic bag - This is exactly how it arrives in a complete kit,so it's only been taken out the box.

I've used sellers like this more times i've had hot meals in the whole of my life :lol: Never a single issue.

All you need to do is find the exact part number from the manual,and if it matches that number on the eBay search/listing,it'll be exactly what you need :)

Bought a new complete CC-01 chassis off an eBay seller and everything was in the original bags and the manual was included. No problems at all. It came minus wheels & tyres and motor but that's as it was described in the listing and I didn't want them anyway.

John

Edited by johninderby

So I have been doing some more searching and have found a Spektrum DX4C DSMR tx with comes with a Spektrum 4210 rx. I see these are new products (the transmitter not the receiver) but has anyone had any experience with it? Are they any good? It's a 4 channel kit but at quite a reasonable price which is making me question it.

Ok scratch that the website I found it on was pricing the tx at $99 which I thought was quite good but then wanted to charge me $102 shipping fees!

Edited by flashdaniels

Is a Hitec HS-646wp servo a good choice? it has metal gears, can run at 7.4v and I think it is reasonably priced. Is this servo digital or analog? I have seen it marked as both and they look like the exact same product but one retailer has it as digital and another as analog.

And I have found the spectrum dx4c with a more realistic shipping cost so any thoughts on these choices would be welcome!

Edited by flashdaniels

• 5 weeks later...

Is a Hitec HS-646wp servo a good choice? it has metal gears, can run at 7.4v and I think it is reasonably priced. Is this servo digital or analog? I have seen it marked as both and they look like the exact same product but one retailer has it as digital and another as analog.

And I have found the spectrum dx4c with a more realistic shipping cost so any thoughts on these choices would be welcome!

so it's been a month, how's the build coming?

Well this project got put on the back burner for a while. I decided to get a traxxas slash first to feed my need for some good old bashing fun. However now I am getting back in to the idea of a scale kit. Just need to free up some funds to purchase it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...