• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What would happen if I......?

Shedmaster

Hi all, Good Morning,

Would anyone be able to advise me please....

I've managed to build up a HPI Savage XL for myself minus an engine.

I only have a Hong Nor 4.6 or a HPI 4.6 engine available to fit with a 47/17 gear set.

Can I use this to power an XL chassis or do I really need to buy in a 5.9 engine ?

I'll be using the car for bashing one day, nothing too competitve or high speed.

Many Thanks for any advice,

Kindest Regards,

Dave

Welcome to the forum :)

It'll power it no problem,but might be a little underpowered if that makes sense :lol:

If it's only for bashing i'd fit one of the engines and bury it to the ground before replacing,might as well make use of what you have in my opinion :good:

• Like 1

Shouldn't be a problem. Worst case scenario, you might end up dropping the gearing to a 16T clutchbell. The only thing a 5.9 would gain you would be wheelies and a bit more flexibility on gearing.

My first Savage had a .21 engine, and that was fine.

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks for your helpful replies.

After some more thought, I'll now be pulling my Hong Nor 5.9 out from my Savage X and then fitting a 16 tooth clutch bell I've just acquired since posting this question. I will then fit the engine into the 'XL' and use this with the 47 tooth spur gear and see what happens.

I'm really hoping for good things with this self built 'XL'.........after falling out with the first one that I had originally !

Kindest Regards,

Dave