• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Harvey Croft's Savage XL Octane Thread

HarveyC

are you talking about the gaskets that sandwich the carb to the engine or did you actually disassemble the carb and need new carb gaskets?  if you need the actual carb gaskets just google k20-wat.  that is the walbro part number for the gasket set.

are you talking about the gaskets that sandwich the carb to the engine or did you actually disassemble the carb and need new carb gaskets?  if you need the actual carb gaskets just google k20-wat.  that is the walbro part number for the gasket set.

Thanks but Iam o/k for those it`s the ones between the carb and the inlet part no. HPI 111337 they call them thermal insulation, I have cleaned the old ones and I think they will be o/k with a bit of gasket seal. Thanks for your help.

So, having had a read through the whole thread, Is it fair to say that the Octane is a bit of a lemon, From the point of view of us on this forum and you yourselves, the problems you are having may not come across as a big deal, But for someone just walking out with one, it's coming across as a dog.

I some times wonder if because we can fix and sort out these problems, we don't consider them such a big problem, And end up making excuses for a poor product, I'm. Not to sure that anyone who reads this thread would touch one with a barge pole now.

I don't think it's a total lemon, but it certainly shouldn't be so hard to get running right. I frequent here and URC, both forums have gone quiet on the Octane, is that because they're running well and people are enjoying them? It could be, after all, it's only bad news that travels fast!

• Like 1

I don't think it's a total lemon, but it certainly shouldn't be so hard to get running right. I frequent here and URC, both forums have gone quiet on the Octane, is that because they're running well and people are enjoying them? It could be, after all, it's only bad news that travels fast!

Or is it that they are sitting in a corner waiting for parts that are out of stock in the U.K ? like my one. After getting a couple of large scale petrol models my conclusion the Octane is closer to a nitro to run then a petrol model.

Is it a lemon?, yeah I am starting to think that it is, for the money paid for it I should now be getting reliable use from it not sitting waiting for gaskets that I hope will make it work again.

I would sell it on if I would not lose so much money on it. When it is running it is great fun not like any other model I can think of.

But I am tired of holes in my fingers from the pull start.

My only issues i've had have been small, such as adjusting the shift points, a leaky exhaust, and a bad throttle servo.  the truck has always started in 2-3 pulls, and wasn't too terrible to get tuned.  HPI did drop the ball on not having half the parts in stock for the truck, but i knew that when i ordered mine.  There were clearly several duds that poeple received, but luckily mine isn't one of them.  Yea it's heavy, loud, and not the fastest, but i love it.  I have the losi xxl-2 also, and i still haven't decided which one i like more.

• Like 1

Well I must say owning this truck has opened my eyes a little to petrol/nitro engines. I didn't really give much thought to it before I purchased it. I thought great new truck batteries, petrol and away you go......well not to be.

I too have had my fair share of problems. But I am now learning a lot about tuning, tweaking and making the truck better from the help of these forums. To be honest if you said pull the engine out when I bought it I would say no way...but now with some good advice I have pulled it out twice for one reason or another.

I am now just enjoying it as a hobby, so if things go bad, i'll simply fix it. Its like having a real car in the garage that needs some TLC.

It has put a smile on my face, which is why I am into this hobby, so that's pretty much all I can ask.

If you like the hobby buy one....they are awesome...just be ready for some ups & downs.

I too have had my fair share of problems. But I am now learning a lot about tuning, tweaking and making the truck better from the help of these forums. To be honest if you said pull the engine out when I bought it I would say no way...but now with some good advice I have pulled it out twice for one reason or another.

Do you not think this sums us up as a whole around here, You seem to have taken complete negative of a poor running engine, That does the complete opposite to what we all thought it would do, Trouble free tuning and cheap fuel, And the fact that it's just not right, And turned it into a positive, And ultimately, Maybe without knowing, Have made an excuse for a poor product.

You have summed it up in your last line 

If you like the hobby buy one....they are awesome...just be ready for some ups & downs.

But to be honest, I think we need less defending of poor product's that are not fit for purpose with "I enjoy the tinkering" statement's. I do get that people will need, Or want to put a positive light on something they have shelled out good money on, If only to stop from throwing themselves under a bus, But I think we should do more than we do, Someone comes on here and say's he wants to buy a Yama, Well you know what's coming, "Don't buy one", But will any of you say the same about the Octane.

One thing i have learned with pretty much any brand is "READY TO RUN" does not mean take it out of the box add batteries and go. my losi xxl-2's motor blew on the 2nd tank, the receiver died on the 5-6 tank,  the lipo receiver battery was the latest to go bad for me.  when i got my savage "x" and began breaking it in one of the set screws fell out of the driveshaft. Couldn't use that for a week.  With my associated rival monster truck the pinion/spur mesh was completely off.  what am i getting at here?  you can look at it 2 ways: 1) It's part of the fun of the hobby to check everything over and fix things, or 2) a ready to run should be ready to run and anything less than that is unacceptable.  

i'm not discounting anyone's issues with the octane, but mine does start every time and run very well. Am i ****** that i had to buy a new throttle servo after only running a few tanks thru the truck, or that i had to take everything apart to fix the exhaust leaking all over the place to fix it properly?  Yes i was.  But overall i've had a lot of fun with the truck and would buy one again.

Have I missed something, or is this the first we've heard from anyone regarding the XXL2?

The Octane's been taking a lot of stick whilst all has been quiet on the XXL2 front, and now somebody's saying (BigTim1985) that they've blown the engine on the XXL2 - so there are frailties to be found with the Losi as well?

Al.

It would appear that the Losi is not widely available at the moment, But that may be the real deciding factor in weather or not the HPI engine is badly thought out, Or if it's a technical design problem with these engines in general.     

There are a couple of decent threads of the xxl-2.  I've read of at least 3-4 bad motors so far.  Mine and i believe 2 others were broken cranks.  the xxl-2 is really more of a high revving nitro motor that burns gas while the octane is a scaled down 5th scale.  all depends on what your looking for.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/789241-losi-xxl-2-a.html

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199739

I have to correct my post #241.  i meant broken connecting rods not cranks.  for example, my connecting rod went on tank 2 of break in.  i was following the manual to a T with temperatures and going in big circles and bang went the motor.  i didn't take mine completely apart but i would think at least the crank, connecting rod, piston and sleeve to get it back up and running, but horizon hobby just sent me a new motor.  although i think its funny that within the last couple of weeks they changed the factory needle setting in the manual from 20 hrs low 17 hrs high to 26hrs low and 18 hrs high.

Not enough lubrication then?

Is the compression really high?

Considering its really a modified nitro engine, I've never had anything like this happen to me with the 'gold top' Mach engine, or any of the 3 LRP motors a ragged into the ground!

I suppose 25:1 is just 4% oil, instead of the 11-16% oil in nitro fuel.

Al.

Was having a great day today, truck was shifting all gears.....than boom no brakes. Broke one of the disc's.....So no brakes....

Hmm seems like there is always something with this beast.

I know what you mean I`ve got no spark on my one at the moment.